PlayStation Class 166 Top Speed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mattty May, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The maximum speed of the Class 166 is 90mph and in TSW 2020 you couldn’t exceed that speed.

In TSW 2 I’m up to 100mph currently on the 1K64 from London to Bedwyn, which is the maximum speed on the speedometer.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I still can't get GWE yet, not appearing in the store other than for £24.99 but looking forward to it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The Class 166 sounds great as you are accelerating, but once at full speed it sounds a bit drony.

4. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

The 166 was underpowered in 2020. It should not struggle to get to 90mph like it did. Most trains can exceed their design speed limit, the limit is there due to bogies, braking ability or safety reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The 166 definitely accelerates better than it did in TSW 2020.

6. MegaSim

MegaSim Member

But the HST maxes out at 125mph and takes ages to get up to it too...

7. Stueyboy43

Stueyboy43 Member

I thought it seemed a bit sluggish to what I remember in TSW2020. So maybe a few tweaks needed on speed, it sounds a lot better though, as does the 166 so overall very happy.

P.s I really your enjoy your YT channel

• Like Like x 1
  8. georgedonely9

georgedonely9 New Member

Are you supposed to leave it in brake 7 at top speed or let it coast?

9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Use the lowest power setting that keeps the speed at what you want it to be. As the gradient changes you may need to notch up or down to maintain your speed, or let it coast if you can. GWE is fairly flat and level, so it’s nice and easy. It’s the same for both trains.

10. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Both seem about the same to me so far.

11. diesel power

diesel power Member

Yes , the sounds especially inside the cab have noticeably improved. This, along with the improvement in its engine power made its services more enjoyable

12. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anything irl that physically prevents a 166 from accelerating past 90mph

13. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

There probably isn’t. I’m just making the point the way the train behaves in TSW 2 is different than in TSW 2020.

14. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Seeing as most of the changes to GWE in TSW2 (like the sound and visuals) are improvements, it is possible that the characteristics of the 166s and HSTs have been updated to better reflect their real world performance? It's not impossible...

I must confess though, I've driven the new 166 and I can't tell any difference. Same for the HST's as people seem to reckon they're more sluggish in this game. I did a non stop run from Paddington to Reading in one today and I couldn't tell any difference whatsoever. And I drove a LOT of the HST in the last game.