Optical Illusion - Speed

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jack O'Track, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

Am i crazy? Just bought that Canada route in the sale, but i strongly get the idea that 'driving' at 100 km/h looks like doing only 70 km/h in the game. That from being an experienced car, even bus driver ...

2. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I had the same feelings, but all calculations and considerations suggest that the speed is indeed accurate. I think this is a problem of FOV, since the FOV in TSW is quite tight. Consider using the UUUC to forcibly set a higher fov.

Tell me if I you want to try that out.

Cheers,
    Prof.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Have you got motion blur on? I find that helps giving the illusion of speed.

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The perception of speed relies on the field of vision represented on screen. A wider field of vision will make things feel faster. If you are using the zoom function, that will have a dramatic effect on the perception of speed, as zooming in makes everything appear much slower.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

The main speed perception inside a cab is indeed related to the driver´s seat height, or in other words, which part of the scenery ahead you have in your main field of view. That´s the reason why in high speed trains the seat is normally much lower in relation to the windshield than in other types of trains, even if driver position in relation to the tracks can be much higher in some cases. That way driver don´t see the section just in front of train nose. I have spent many years inside those cabs and sometimes you don´t really notice you are driving at 300km/h until you look to the side windows, and not all trains have them in the cab indeed, as your attention is focused in the medium to distant objects, which approach slower to your field of view. I was told once by train designers that it was part of the ergonomy of the cabs, to reduce stress caused by fast moving objects to the driver.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

UUUC ... FOV .... ¿qué? Sorry i ain't no prof, heard of E=MC2 though, to do with relativity.
    But optical illusions are part of human perception in relation to all sorts of internal and external influences, bringing one in some temporary state of mind. Example: a dispute with an unwilling mother-in-law suddenly throwing a flowerpot at one's head. Duck 'em boyz .... 100 km/h.
    Only youngsters get a natural kick out of speed, we 'normal' oldies need pills for that. Train Simmers an ICE.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

I worked as a UP conductor for years and the sense of speed feels pretty spot on to me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

After all the threads you keep making, yes, I'm starting to feel like you are.

• Like Like x 2