Xbox Db Br 143 Has No Engine Sound While Driving

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mr.Drew, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Mr.Drew

Mr.Drew Member

Hello everyone!

I noticed the following when playing with the DB BR 143 from Preserved Collection in TSW 2.

DB BR 143 has no engine sound within the cab. You don't hear the compressor or engine itself. Worked on TSW 2020. Now the only option is to open the cab window. If you don't do that it is practically silence while driving.

It is a bit sad as the 143 is a very universal locomotive, fun to drive in general and could be used on many (German) routes and the Scenario Planner.

It would be great if someone could look into this matter, once there is time to do so, as it would drastically improve the immersion. Thanks a lot!

• Like Like x 10
  2. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

The sound across preserved collections has many issues. This is due to them converting to a newer Unreal Engine. It's something I hope the preserved team is working on improving.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

I had the same issue while driving the 143 recently, I can hear it accelerating (very silently though!) but when I come to a complete stop it's all silent. I hope that DTG can fix this, as I could call the loco "broken" at this point. There's no fun in driving a train when the sound is missing. I still can't get my head around how this got though internal testing... Was there nobody who noticed this???

For anyone at DTG: I play this on a PC with Windows 10, unlike Mr.Drew above who uses an XBOX console. This means that it is a universal error across both platforms, I guess.

4. BjornGroen02NL

Okay today an update arrived, included are sound fixes for the BR 143 and 146.2. The 146.2 sounds great again, however the 143 needs some rework. Although the very obvious sound issues are fixed (exterior sound when in the interior), it is still FAAAAAR too silent from the interior. TrainSim-Adam , could you please take a look at this issue? Here is an example of how was supposed to sound in TSW2020. Play the video from 2:18 minutes. The gentleman who filmed the video has the windows closed, thus the interior sound plays:

And now the TSW2 version, play this from 3:56, before he opens the windows:

I hope this can be fixed, as it is very annoying now. You either have a very silent locomotive, or it is very (but realistically) loud when you open the windows. All in all, the 143 has gotten worse sounds when it got preserved. I'd like you, DTG, to take a look at this loco in detail. You can't leave this loco as it is now, it simply sounds wrong.

5. TrainSim-Adam

TrainSim-Adam Staff Member

Thanks for the note.

With the positive response to the recent release of Great Western Express and Northern Trans-Pennine from the Preserved Collection we have learned some valuable lessons about our approach to audio processing in the move from TSW2020 to TSW2. I am already working with the team to ensure we take that learning to other Preserved Collection routes and trains that are currently in a less desirable state.

Improving audio issues such as this, is on the road map :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. BjornGroen02NL

Thanks a lot for your response ;) I agree with your points on the last Preserved Collection release, the Class 166 for example sounds fabulous. I saw that this was on the Roadmap:
    • [Investigate] Audio issues being reported for recent Preserved Collection releases
    But I think it couldn't hurt if I would leave some detailed feedback on the BR 143 in particular. It's great to hear that your team is working on sounds of "older" Preserved Collection releases. I'm looking forward to it :) But in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the Class 166... Pure joy to the ears. :D

7. Sgt Salt

Sgt Salt New Member

For me the issue is still 143 and 146.2 also even though some fixes have been applied when going at over 80kph on the 146 the noise is high pitched and off which makes it annoying.BjornGroen02NL what does your 146 sound like in comparison to tsw2020

8. BjornGroen02NL

The BR 146.2 still doesn't sound the same as it does in TSW2020, still has got sound "jumps" where you can hear it switching between sound files. However it has got slightly better with the last update. I haven't played it too much since the latest update to give you my full opinion on it, but DTG is working on improving the sounds of Preserverd Collection locos. So I have faith in it that the 146.2 will, one day, sound the same as it did back in TSW2020.

Quick edit: It did apparantly also have this "sound file switching" in TSW2020, but that would stop above 20 km/h. Also it doesn't make any strange high-pitched noise above 80 km/h.

Full acceleration from 6:19 minutes. (Not my video)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  9. Sgt Salt

Sgt Salt New Member

seems at high speed some sound files are at a very low volume while the actual engine sound stays constant making this incredible high pitch sound

10. BjornGroen02NL

Totally agreed. I had a look at a real video, and it sounds much more "fluent". There is NO high pitched sound in the real locomotive, so that should be fixed in TSW ;) From 13.00 minutes is the full acceleration.