Thank You For The New Class 166 Sounds!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Ant Craft, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

This is just a post to say thank you DTG for giving the 166 these amazing new sounds! They sound incredible!

• Like Like x 19
  2. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

I was going to add a new topic, but since there is already a compliment here, I have another too add.

Thank you for getting rid of the Reigional Railways moquette in the 101 on NTP. Having the proper moquette really does look a lot better.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Yes, the sounds on the 166 are much better, whilst in passenger mode, it doesn't sound like I'm travelling in an EMU anymore! Also glad to see improvement to inside sounds of MKIII's, they were awful whilst stationary at Paddington but much better now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hightower

hightower Guest

Agreed. Very pleasant surprise!

5. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yup, I agree, the 166 is nice with the new sounds.

Not related to sounds but has anyone else noticed passengers don't sit in the DSMLO vehicle (end car on the Reading end of the unit) and you can't sit in any of the seats?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Really, really nice surprise! Sounds so much better! Definitely an improvement to the physics of the 166 too

7. Ant Craft

Yeah, I have also noticed this. Glad to see it's not just me then.

8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Oh I am looking forward to this then, very partial to the Perkins (Rolls Royce) engines fitted to the Turbos and indeed some of the 158's too.

9. Ant Craft

Yeah. Maybe they could be considering adding a route with 158s in the future. Who knows. Also, the sounds have actually just been remixed to sound better, but regardless of that, it's still a very good change and makes the 166 sound much better.

10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

That's good to know, I haven't fired it up yet. Shame they couldn't have added the trailer to make some proper three car sets for some of the services. Three car sets were far more prevalent in 1983 than in 1989 when TVL is set!

• Like Like x 1
  11. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

If I had to describe the sounds of the 166 and HST on the GWE route it would be meaty and beefy!! They have extra depth and sound more spacial!! And the 166 has the departing turbo sound which now is clearly heard. I think it adds to the route.

• Like Like x 5
  12. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Due to all these improvements, I have to move TSW to an external SSD and install non-German DLCs ... which I don't fit right now. I prefer how everyone complains about DTG ... :( :) Cool thing. The sounds are very important. I think they improved the BR 143 a bit in this matter too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Back when I bought TSW, I wasn't very thrilled about GWE (take into consideration I have very little experience with British rails) and I thought especially 166 sounded just meh. Today I saw praise on it and I tried it... oh boy it is a whole different experience, I love the sound of it now. Finally, it sounds like horsepower is there, not just some tractor engine. Bravo, DTG, let's hope all trains get this improved sound treatment (looking at CSX horns...).

• Like Like x 4
  14. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Adam - your team knocked it out of the park for the sounds on this one!

• Like Like x 5
  15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Adam - our Preserved Hope :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

Well done Preserved Crew. Good job ;) The 166 now sounds magnificent.

• Like Like x 4
  17. eire007

eire007 Active Member

I think I’m going mental. People are happy with the sounds?? It’s like having a lawnmower in my ear as I’m driving. Can’t even hear the wheels going over the track anymore with how loud the engine is. I’ve been waiting months for the 166 and looks like I will need to play it on TSW2020 from now to enjoy it. . What a shame.

18. Ant Craft

Well whether you like it or not, this is how the trains sound in real life. I have been on several 165s and 166s and they are very noisy. All DMUs are because there simply isn't enough space to have a bulky engine under the floor as well as adequate sound proofing. So we're all happy with it because that's how they are in real life. The way the 166 was before was completely unrealistic with it being so quiet. Here's a video of someone riding on a 166 if you want a comparison to the real thing. It's not from the cab, but the cab wouldn't be any quieter.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  19. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

When you're on track 10+ in Paddington, and you can hear the Class 43 idling over on track 3 or 4, it definitely makes the station seem more alive. Now that other preserved collections are getting loco add-ons, it would be great if we could get a Class 158 DMU in GWR and/or South Western livery, to add more services in and out of the station and make it feel more active (especially in light of the development team's efforts to optimise memory usage).

• Like Like x 1
  20. theorganist

Glad the sounds have been improved as they were my biggest bugbear of the route, the 166 was barely audible and having travelled on one recently didn't capture the real thing at all.

Do 158's work into Paddington now?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  21. OldVern

Well I tried the 166 last night after the update installed and definitely two thumbs up from me - that is how a Turbo DMU should sound.

Now... please go back and apply that same love to the 45 and 47 on NTP and more especially the Class 37 on Tees Valley which was a severe disappointment having zero classic 37 stack chat, sadly why I refunded that one.

• Like Like x 3
  22. OldVern

They did briefly in the late 90's/early 00's with the overnight service up from South Wales via Bristol returning at around at around 0520 to Maesteg. That was until the Eurostar service commenced and the service then ran to Waterloo, via Kenny O.

I never forget the infamous night I was Duty Manager in the (then) South Wales and West Control in St David's House, Cardiff. The 158 working the Up Paddington failed at Bristol TM and the only set we had open to replace it was a... Class 143. That was probably the first time a 143 made it to Paddington. Once the service started running to Waterloo, the 143's weren't cleared via the Southern so if a substitution occurred the train and back working had to turn at Reading.

• Like Like x 4
  23. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

In real life train sounds are very loud and carry a considerable distance.
    There is no way I could have realistic volumes in my computer room.
    My wife would leave me and the neighbours would burn me out.

The sounds in game are as always a compromise and very dependant on the speakers and location acoustics.
    Not all will be accepting of Dtg's choices.
    From the comments here and on Discord Adam and his team are very much aware of paying attention to the in game sounds.
    I look forward to the remainder of the preserved collection being revisit.

24. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hi there,

oh well here is me to complain.

*Sobby voice* Gaaah still no fix for the 146.2 sounds *snif snif*.

More seriously: Good job DTG. A pleasant surprise indeed. I am also very much looking forward to Adam revisiting preserved collection. Thus far, whilst very slow, the developments were also very good.

Cheers,
    Prof.

• Like Like x 1
  25. theorganist

That would have been an interesting journey! I have seen a 150 in Paddington, I think working in from Gloucester, I could stand a 150 working long distance. Years ago, around 1990 I remember one of Bristol's class 108 power trailer sets working a Gloucester to Paddington service I suspect because of a failure.

26. theorganist

I agree sounds have to be a compromise, but the class 166 sounds were far too quiet before. I used to turn the volume up just to hear them, which I then regretted if I forgot to turn it down again before driving another train!

27. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Now I wanna make that in TS2021 :D
    Do you know/remember when this happened (ie date)?

28. eire007

eire007 Active Member

oh yes and this game is so realistic isn’t it

29. OldVern

Now you're asking... It was post 1997 after the SW&W Control relocated from Swindon to Cardiff and it was before SW&W was split into Wales and Borders and Wessex Trains, as my Resource Controller that night was one of the people (further) relocated to Exeter, when that happened. That took place in 2001 so around 1999 then as a ballpark estimate...

• Like Like x 1
  30. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

I just want to give a big positive for the class 166 sounds. Good work. Keep it up.

• Like Like x 1
  31. theorganist

Yes agree sounds much better now. In fact I had to turn my speakers down as the sound of the 166 pulling away sent my cat running for cover!

• Like Like x 2
  32. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

I agree with the majority, the 166 is far more immersive to drive now! However there is one proviso the bogey run sounds are a bit shopping trolley, Should sound like this.

33. hightower

hightower Guest

It’s not just the 166. Anyone noticed the 66 sounds waaaaay better now? Now you hear the loco engine first and foremost and the wagon running sounds are very faintly in the background, not the other way around.

It should have always been this way but wasn’t, so well done again DTG for finally sorting this out!

• Like Like x 3
  34. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

The 166 has a bit more guts in the bottom end AND that spitty rasp. Loving the beat frequency too. Massive improvement. I have not tried the 66 yet but it seemed to be 'Yinging' more convincingly than normal as I was 'raspberying past' :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2