Fomer Ihh Catalogue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theorganist, Jun 22, 2020.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

What seems many years ago DTG purchased the lovely models that IHH produced. Many have seen the light of day re-released individually or as part of packs, the class 117, the 24, 25, 27 etc.

On the presumption that they did indeed purchase the full catalogue, it would be great to see some of the other items released, even if it was on the market place without any scenarios, they did release the standard class 4 tender engine that way.

There were some useful items, DMU wise there was a class 107 and one labelled a class 118, although I think it was a class 114. There was a class 26 and a 28 and the class 22 which was never re-released as part of the DTG diesel hydraulic packs.

Steam wise there were some large LMS passenger tanks which came part of a Western Line of Scotland pack and several others which I cannot recall off the top of my head. There was also Duke of Gloucester which I am suprised was never re-released.

Would someone at DTG be able to confirm whether there is any chance of these seeing the light of day, for me the DMU's in particular would be very interesting?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Quite agree, the IHH content could be given a tweak and rereleased. The 117 comes with the North Somerset route and BR reskin/liveries are available at DPS and Vulcan. Add the AP 101, 111 & 121 soundpack to improve them 100%.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Marc von Hoffrichter

Marc von Hoffrichter Member

Whole heartedly agree mate. I love the old steam crane as well. IHH had scenarios made for the crane, and you can still see it on youtube. All of Pauls videos are still up there, including the Condor run on the WLOS.

Edit: Very poor quality vid but hey, the subject is FAB.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  4. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the class 02 shunter and class 45 IHH models reinstated. Would snap both up. And any other obscure models too probably.

• Like Like x 2
  5. steve.cunningham1980

steve.cunningham1980 Active Member

More first-gen DMUs in general would be lovely.
    Even a reissued 101 or 117 sporting NSE would be a welcome addition

• Like Like x 2
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. theorganist

I joined that site do download those and I can't see a way of actually activating the download, I wondered if the site was still working.

Luckily I purchased the 117 before they withdrew it, I cannot understand why they did!

We need a diesel/electric equivalent of Victorian Lad/Caledonia Works, someone who will make the less well known or less well loved, niche products like the class 304 or class 100, not that they trains which were the backbone of local and cross country train services for 30 year should be considered niche. We can't get enough variety of diesel loco's but as long as we have one DMU available then that is enough!

• Like Like x 1
  8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is like being in a Free Shop
    You pick the item - Click Add to Cart
    On the Next Page - Go to Checkout
    Next page says Payment Page 1 of 2 and you need to click on the "I have read and agreed to the terms and conditions bound to this order."
    then Continue to Checkout
    On the Last Page it says Confirm Order
    Then on the last page is the Download Link
    The file is a 7z and you need to save it on your computer then extract it and install

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  9. theorganist

I can't see the add to cart button. I have an account but thinking about it, I don't think I received a verification e-mail. I will contact them.

Thanks.

Peter

Edit: I am a complete idiot, logging in would help, then I can see the big red "add to cart" button at the bottom! I have been trying for a month!

10. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

Luckily I bought the full catalogue, I believe it was well over £100, They all seem to still work without any problems.

Mike

11. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I and others have been asking DTG about re releasing IHH content for many moons. IIRC the response was that upgrading them to modern standards was problematic. That maybe but I'm sure there's money to be made by revamping and re issuing some of the catalogue.
    For those not familiar with the IHH story, this will give some background.
    https://railworks.fandom.com/wiki/Iron_Horse_House

• Like Like x 2
  12. theorganist

They have released several items so I don't see why they can't do more. They could release them and sell them on the market place maybe with no scenarios or have them as a budget range if they think they aren't up to modern standards.

There are many items I never got round to purchasing but would certainly if they were made available again.

That list of products has several missing items.

13. theorganist

I have installed the class 101 from the Marleyman site, the only thing is I cannot hear any engine sounds. I shall investigate. Track sounds and the horn and buzzer work fine.

14. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I don't think that says the full story; on a Maverick Hunter Daniel video on YouTube he talked a bit about it and when I asked for more detail he gave a vague answer. What actually happened with IHH and caused big issues in the community?

15. Pad

Pad New Member

I fail to understand Dovetail's logic on this. "Upgrading them to modern standards" seems a weak reason as they are quite happy to release the "European Loco & Asset Pack" for £12.
    If they can't be bothered to "upgrade" them, release them as is for £5 a pop.
    Easy money and it makes people like me (who really really want a class 28) happy.

• Like Like x 2
  16. AlexTheMole

AlexTheMole Active Member

I agree. Leave them as they are, charge less for them. As mentioned there is LOADS of old content still available on Steam and getting all the IHH stuff back would be awesome even in it's original form! Please DTG! :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Dunkrez...

Isn't there already an 02 out??? I've deffo got one from somewhere but doubt its an IHH one...

Eric

18. theorganist

There is an 02 shunter, I have had it for several years. I don't know if it is still available on steam.

19. Cuddy_Man

Cuddy_Man Well-Known Member

You're assuming that DTG haven't lost the code, or some other problem isn't making it too problematic to release the IHH stuff. IIRC the 156 master model (not from IHH) was lost by DTG, so there is a precedent.

I bought some of their products before they closed and I don't drive them now as they don't meet modern standards. Sounds and particles are OK, but no better, colouring and tinting is often a bit off, the ride can be very bouncy in some diesels, cab controls are only the Railworks standard set and the Duke's leading bogie is mounted too low so the wheels are sunk into the rails.

All could be corrected, and if DTG were to renovate them to modern standards I'd buy them again, but I assume they think potential sales won't match the time required.

I think there's an element of rose-tinted spectacles when remembering IHH's products.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  20. theorganist

They could sell them as is for £5 on the market place, they did it with the standard 4mt tender engine. There are several items I would purchase, even if just for AI purposes. There was some useful stock which would fill some gaps, large LMS tanks, class 107/114 DMU, class 22, class 28 diesels for example, none of which are likely to replicated elsewhere. Although there was the Meshtools Stanier tank in development but that seems to have been delayed indefinitely.

Yes they could have lost the code or something which is making it impossible for them to release them but they have never said. Plenty of people have enquired over the years.

• Like Like x 2
  21. ntypeman

If DTG sold them on the marketplace then surely there's the possibility that some of the more talented amongst us (don't want to mention any names in case it upsets anyone who I don't mention!!!) could put out / make improvement mods etc???

Just my thoughts...

Eric

• Like Like x 2
  22. theorganist

Yes exactly and I am sure some would "upgrade" them. The AP class first generation DMU sound pack worked with the the marketplace class 117 DMU reskins, which are now withdrawn for a reason which escapes me.

• Like Like x 1
  23. AlexTheMole

AlexTheMole Active Member

While I can see the point made about rose-tinted spectacles I think more people want them purely because they want more options for either themselves or as AI traffic. Yes they are old, yes they are in dire need of an update, but that doesn't stop them being useful. So much of the old stuff on Steam that falls into that category is still routinely used as they are the only models out there of those specific classes. I still regularly use the creaky old DTG 4Fs from 2010 simply because there is no better 4F out there (the Digital Traction 4F liveries look terrible).

As mentioned above if the IHH stuff was around then people would be more inclined to come up with enhancements, sound packs, reskins, etc just like Steam Sounds Supreme have done with much of the older steam locos. I definitely think the market is there for a re-release without an update as long as they are priced accordingly. I also think a lot of people would be grateful to DTG for doing it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. theorganist

The SSS upgrade definitely enhances the 4F and even the ancient 7F so as you say it shows what can be done.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mike370

mike370 Active Member

Absolutely, it's far better to have a slightly dated version of a model than nothing at all. I think for the most part we're in full agreement.

For benefit of players that aren't perhaps familiar with the IHH models, I would like to elaborate a little. I think fair to say at the time (a different era of the game, early Railworks days) the IHH creations were released, many players considered them (for the most part) very good quality. They looked good, the sounds were perfectly acceptable, & they gave players a lot of pleasure with all sorts of wonderful scenario making opportunites. A God send for fans of the BR Green/Blue era. Plus the packs often came with the bonus of some great scenarios being provided for them. IMO Sly's scenarios were often very enjoyable - imaginative, & nice and challenging. I still go back and regularly play those scenarios with the very same original models used, & still really enjoy them.

Yes, pleasingly TS20xx models have come a long way over the last decade. Significantly more refined graphically - & overall sharper presentation. So the quality expectations bar has definitely been raised for the better. But even now, I'm sure many long-term players would consider the old IHH DLC as perfectably acceptable, if not ideal. Even if updating & refining such models not viable for DTG, like others I'd wager (so long as set at a reasonable lower price for classics models) they'd sell well. And add plenty of further game interest for a new generation of TS players.

As others have suggested, perhaps sold unsupported through the Steam Market Place might be doable. Maybe some of the existing scenarios for them could be made available via the Steam Workshop. I seem to remember many of the best IHH scenarios made good use of the original Port Road - IIRC that route was re-released & made available as a free Steam Workshop creation.

We can only live in hope, eh! :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  26. theorganist

He made two packs for the Port Road. A steam pack and a diesel if I recall. The steam pack had one or two of the aforementioned very useful large LMS tanks and I think some standard engines and the diesel pack had a green 107 amongst others. Sadly I never got round to getting them before he shut his website down. The was a BR Blue ECML pack which I think had the Creative Rail route in mind, that had the blue/grey class 114 although it was incorrectly identified as a class 118, that would be useful. Would love to see it in green as that would be perfect for the freeware Lincolnshire lines route.

The class 105 and 117 were from him and they look very good still, although obviously don't have features such as a complete 360 degree view, opening windows and some switches don't work but they are still very useable and sound great with the AP sound pack.

His models were very well received at the time and he could turn them round at a fast rate.

He is working on a UE4 based signal box simulator which is looking promising but was going to be released last year I think but seems to have slipped back.

May DTG Protaganist or DTG Natster or DTG Jamie could look into the viability of releasing some of the former IHH models?

• Like Like x 1
  27. Cuddy_Man

I've just take the Class 28 from the Port Road Diesel pack out for a run and I had forgotten how unsatisfying it is. The colouring and tinting is horrible; it looks dark, dingy and dead matt. I wouldn't want it as AI. Almost nothing in the cab is clickable with the mouse. The cab light is slaved to the headlights. There are no instrument lights, and I don't think any instrument needles either. Some of the driving positions are seriously messed up in terms of where they put you in the cab. Ugh. I wouldn't want it as a £2.99 Marketplace offering. It needs a lot of work to bring it up to an acceptable modern standard and I can see why DTG wouldn't want these products in their catalogue in their current state.

28. ntypeman

Please feel free to correct me but a Class 28 wouldn't have had a headlight... Marker lights, YES, but a headlight, no...

Eric

29. Cuddy_Man

Yes, you're right, marker lights only on the Class 28, but both they and the cab light are turned on/off together by the 'headlight' key on the HUD/keyboard.

On the plus side the marker lights can be individually switched on/off by ctrl + 1 to 4, which was an advanced feature in 2013.

30. ntypeman

Another train of thought (forgive the pun) I had was DTG may have spent thousands(?) on purchasing the IHH catalogue...

I don't know much about the "disagreement", I'd love to know more but get the impression that anyone you talk to says "you don't want to go there" through gritted teeth...!!!

They [DTG] are sat on a catalogue that they aren't earning any revenue off... If they release some of that catalogue then surely it would go some way to recouping some of that cost??? Something is better than nothing in my eyes...

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  31. Cuddy_Man

In midday sun, no filters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And off my hard drive you go . . .

32. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

33. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

34. theorganist

I think we get it, you don't like it or approve of the suggestion.

However, some of us would like the chance to purchase some of the ex IHH library. I cannot see how it would hurt them putting them on the market place at least.

35. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Bad enough when something gets released which has errors but to deliberately release a product that has faults seems stupid and would put people off buying other items from them.

DTG had the IHH Class 506 for the BR Blue Woodhead route but decided to make their own rather than release a substandard product. The lack of something does not make a good reason to release a poor version.

• Like Like x 1
  36. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

When the Class 89 came out there was a lot of criticism of various parts of the modelling
    What will people think if substandard products are released?

37. theorganist

I wouldn't expect them to release them as £14.99 models, not without a lot of changes. However, on the marketplace for £5 with a caveat that they are older models and don't have the features and are not to the standards of more recent models, I cannot see a problem. If someone moans that the £5 they paid for the class 28 was a rip-off because so and so doesn't work then I would suggest they are never going to be happy.

38. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

That was a few months ago. Heck! I can't even remember what I had for breakfast. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  39. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Yes but they would have lost that £5 as it would be unlikely they would get a refund and they would think twice about purchasing again.
    When the IHH Class 33 came out it did not have a Cab - you just sat in mid air and used the hud.
    The IHH Class 73 came out and the power handle went the wrong way

If they cannot make a proper version they should leave it in the box

• Like Like x 1
  40. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

This^^^

It would add so much more realism to scenarios. You can only use 101s and Cravens for so long before everything starts to be Ground Hog Day.

• Like Like x 3
  41. theorganist

We are woefully short of first generation DMU's, in the 70's and 80's some areas saw more variety of first generation DMU's than they did with locomotives. They always get forgotten, it was the same with model railways. Yet virtually every second generation DMU is represented.

42. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I have the full collection, which i use in my own scenarios, and i am chuffed to bits with them.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  43. Doomotron

Weren't some/most of them on Steam? For the ones what were, couldn't they just re-add the packages so we could buy them again?

While they're at it, they should re-add Phorum Peninsula as well. There are a lot of old DLC (the Jubilee, V2, Class 66 and Class 08) that I think should be re-added as well.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  44. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I don't remember any IHH Packages on Steam - those I bought were direct from IHH.
    What is wrong with the Class 66 in the game - it is better than the old version that had less features
    What is wrong with the Class 08 in the game
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/222578/Train_Simulator_EWS__Freightliner_Class_08s_Loco_AddOn/
    Repaints in to other colours are available both free and Marketplace versions

45. Doomotron

Both the 66 and 08, while technically worse than their newer counterparts (although the Freightliner 08 isn't very good), have more liveries and scenarios than their newer counterparts.

46. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That depends if you only purchase from Steam and don't use repaints or other scenarios.
    And if you prefer content over quality
    Some of the files in my \railworks\Assets\RSDL\RailSimulator\RailVehicles\Diesel\Class66 folder date from 2009 :o