Preserved Gwe Class 143

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jamy, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I downloaded the preserved GWE route last night and noticed I could change livery on the Class 143 HST
    I tried this but I can not for the life of me see what the difference is. If someone could enlighten me I would be grateful

2. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Hopefully this means they'll add the FGW livery.

3. hightower

hightower Guest

There’s already a mod out there, thread in this forum.

4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

There's a mod but it won't officially be released in the near future (it's baked into the build iirc so would be a big hassle to take it out) because they don't have a license to release new FGW content, just sell existing content.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  5. Clumsy Pacer

It doesn't change anything. I thought it was simple eastbound services and westbound services, but I don't think so because you get the same services no matter what livery.

6. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It is not labelled properly, but one is a 2+8 set, and the other is a 2+7 set. They operate different timetable services.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Doomotron

Officially, I mean.

8. TS_trainspotter

TS_trainspotter Active Member

I know this is probably not the right forum, but... I play on ps4 and get no livery choose, and I cannot access services to Greenford ecc (some players said they had them always unlocked in TSW2), does anyone know why?

9. hightower

hightower Guest

You keep making this statement. Care to share how you know this to be the case? I’m sure that whatever licences DTG hold or don’t hold is a fairly closely guarded bit of information.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2020
  10. Clumsy Pacer

I've contacted DTG about publishing an FGW-branded pack on Steam for RailWorks (btw, no matter how much you ask, I'm not going to say what that thing was. It's still in development albeit massively cut-down). They said no, purely because of their license with FirstGroup regarding FGW.

Why did the FGW livery in GWE exist in the first place? Dunno.
    Why didn't they delete it? Dunno.
    Did they plan to even use it? I'm gonna guess no given what someone else said on here, but otherwise... dunno.

I also wouldn't say it is "closely guarded" information, partly because I contacted them about publishing something I was in the process of making and they just outright told me, also they license everything in the game, so you can make a pretty good guess at what they DO hold a license for (WCML South has London Midland-branded 350s and Avanti-branded 221s and 390s. Pretty easy to guess they don't have a license for LNWR), and they also make a bit of a song and dance when they lose a license (see Virgin, Arriva Trains Wales and CrossCountry).

[speculation] I'd expect Grand Central may go soon as well given Arriva appear to not be renewing the licenses, perhaps because they're up for sale? [/speculation]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

It's a mess having so many different train operators to license.

Do they still need a license for British Rail or can that be done without one?

12. Clumsy Pacer

I think it's done through the DfT for anything after the mid 1950s, but BR "Cycling Lion" and before is done through the National Railway Museum I believe (possibly including the big four and prior). The thing is, the copyright for the logo (and sometimes livery too) still exists and needs to be licensed, it's just down to finding out who owns the copyright, and sometimes they can't be traced. That may just be a load of rubbish but I do know BR is done through the DfT and/or the NRM (because Matt said it on a stream).

13. hightower

hightower Guest

Did they say ‘no, because we have no license’, or ‘no, because of our license with First Group’. It’s semantics but constitutes a big difference. It might be that only they are able to publish content with First branding directly, and not via 3rd parties, hence the ‘no’ you received.

As they are perfectly entitled to do, DTG seem to run scared of licensing and are very careful with it. They don’t, for example, utilise the AP method of providing a free patch for branding even though it would circumnavigate all this nonsense. It would take a damn good lawyer to argue that it was right that a TOC didn’t go after AP for copyright infringement but took exception and went after DTG or whoever else it may be.

That is why I don’t buy the argument that they’ve accidentally included something in a pay-ware DLC that they don’t have permission for. We all know the dev-build thing was a very public b a l l s up and was never intended for public release. Individuals had to effectively hack Steam to get it, which I know for a fact made some at DTG very uncomfortable, because it could have potentially led to lifetime bans from the Steam platform for many people. This is a totally different situation, so I’d bet a lot of money that were it unintentional it would have either been pulled immediately or not released in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Doomotron

I'm sure I remember MattP saying that they planned to release it, but that was ages ago.

15. Clumsy Pacer

They said new FGW-branded packs are not feasable for them to release at the moment.

16. MatsH

MatsH Active Member

I believe that the services with the longer consist isn't available for consoles due to performance issues.
    You can read more about it in the following thread:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/gwe-hidden-services-longer-trains.26546/

17. TS_trainspotter

Remember, Steam also means consoles

18. TS_trainspotter

19. Clumsy Pacer

Should've clarified this was for TS2021, which isn't on consoles. I'll ammend my OP.

20. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

The only livery choice on GWE is for the class 66 EWS or DB red livery. The FGW blue is a mod for PC only.
    By default, consoles dont have all the trains in service mode. Greenford being a service not available. Added to that the HST runs with 6 coaches and not 7/8.
    That said, there is a way around this. Select journey mode. Choose a service, once loaded come back out, but stay within the GWE menus. Select timetable- you will have longer HSTs and all the services including Greenford.
    Once you leave the GWE section of TSW2 this workaround ceases, and you will need to perform the same routine to get all the services again.