PlayStation This Has Me Excited For The Ps5

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by welshredskin, Nov 8, 2020.

1. welshredskin

welshredskin Member

• Like Like x 11
  2. kingus.uk

kingus.uk Active Member

Just logged on to post a link to this myself. Does sound very promising.

Roll on the 19th.

3. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Lit, makes me really want to experience it on PS5. Hopefully Routes like LIRR/SKA/and GWR can get improved frame rates.

• Like Like x 1
  4. welshredskin

welshredskin Member

The embedded video of the ICE 3 looks amazing, it almost makes me want to wait until the 19th before I play TSW2 again after seeing how smooth it is

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Looks great, can't wait for the 19th.

6. RealKenny_D

RealKenny_D Member

I watched the video and it looked very smooth. In the external view there were some weird effects such as a very shallow depth of field, plus some blurring around the edges of the front of the train. There could be many reasons for this so I will need to see more footage in clear weather conditions.

7. voy_tech

voy_tech Member

Looks good! I was hoping for something like this, great news. I am really excited for the new console now. Let's hope DTG are working on it a we'll get as good PS5 version as possible

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maxrom

Maxrom Active Member

Looks lovely and smooth. Of course, the real question here is why it struggles so much on the PS4 Pro, when it's a game designed for, and sold for, current generation hardware.

Looking at other heavyweight games on the PS4 Pro which arguably run better, and have better visuals (let's face it, TSW2 is hardly a graphical masterpiece), I can't help thinking that perhaps DTG just don't know how to properly optimise things. But, if buying a PS5 gets their game to where it should be, then at least there's hope for those that decide to buy the PS5. Personally, I'd like to see their 'in progress' optimisation work deliver something better out of the current generation machines that the game was intended for.

• Like Like x 5
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I fear a can of worms being opened. It’s great that it runs really well on a PS5 but as a PS4 game it should run well on that. What’s going to happen now is people who can afford to upgrade are going to be extremely happy and those that can’t upgrade are going to get a worse experience than they do now. The content is going to be more demanding than a base PS4 or xbox can handle (we have already seen this) and PS5 (and whatever the new xbox is called) owners are not even going to notice or care.

DTG either need to develop TSW2 for the PS4 or come clean and sell it as the PS5 game it clearly is.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Wow, it looks so less cartoony, how smooth and high grade it looks.

I guess the reality is that current gen consoles will eventually be phased out of development, but that's just a fact of life. It's been no different for pc, it's just that pc can upgrade bits at a time and keep the same name.

To me this shows just how much the consoles were behind pc specs before now and also how unscaleable they are.
    However, I must say that I have enjoyed tsw2 on the PS4 base nevertheless. But I shall definitely be looking forward to the opportunity to upgrade now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

I will only buy the PS5 when it primarily confirms that TSW2 is really worth it (with 4k TV), until then I will wait to see what TSW3 brings with it, which is then geared towards the PS5 anyway. And if there are no other must-have games for the PS5 for me by then, I don't play a lot, I can wait and am content with what I have.

• Like Like x 1
  12. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

What's great about this is that it doesn't even have any further optimizations done to it yet. What we're seeing is the raw performance upgrade we're getting when going from the PS4 to the PS5.
    Keep in mind, on the roadmap currently the team is actively working on improving performance across the board. So potentially there can be even better results than what we're seeing right now :D

Suffice to say, I think it will be interesting to see what comes in the next couple of weeks!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  13. ZeenozPlays

Same, I tried to play with LIRR today and lost interest after seeing the stutters again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

The LIRR in this game sure is in dire need of a performance boost.
    Frankly, I feel as though the whole route could be rebuilt from the ground up, but thats a story for another day :)
    But I'm hoping this news means that the LIRR can once again be playable without all the performance hiccups

• Like Like x 1
  15. ZeenozPlays

It SHOULD be rebuilt. And maybe they can sneak in the Port Washington Branch and the full Ronkonkoma Branch.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Theres a youtube video out there. A few minutes of Koln Aatchen on XBox series X.
    Now this surely demonstrates that the only limits DTG put on Console versions of the game are with consists and draw distance, nothing more.

• Like Like x 5
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

What about textures resolution? Are they included in full now for the consoles that can use the higher res files because they were always much lower on consoles in TSW2020. This isn’t about the screen rendering but the resolution of the actual texture files. I’ve got a feeling they are still lower.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Those textures look the same as PC using the next gen system.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

If the game runs 60fps smooth it’s a gift from the gods for DTG’s a new console will do what their Devs couldn’t

• Like Like x 3
  20. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Niiiiice

21. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

The game runs really well on PS5. Did a test with HMA last night-load time around 15 seconds max. Textures are still not as good as they could be but literally no frame rate drops. Most of the landmarks are there too. Lighting still isn't as good as it could be.

• Like Like x 3
  22. ZeenozPlays

Well, you’re only gonna get FPS and render distance/more things on screen improvements with the game not being optimized for Next Gen yet.

Imagine how it’ll be when they optimize it...

23. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

Seriously...raytracing, layers, better textures. This game would look absolutely amazing.

• Like Like x 2
  24. ZeenozPlays

Maybe not raytracing, I prefer better performance in a simulator than having anything like raytracing, but the extra layers would be greatly appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  25. BigH

BigH Active Member

On PC you usually have scalling options to tailor a game for your hardware. People with better GPUs get better graphics and so on. That´s not been a problem for users at all.

I wonder why that is not possible on consoles? Well it has been done on a lot of games when the Pro came out, it just won´t happen in TSW 2. But what do i know, i´m not a Developer. Only a customer.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Thunderer

Anyone playing on PS5 yet? I'm sat by the front door waiting for amazon to deliver mine...

• Like Like x 1
  27. welshredskin

welshredskin Member

Installing TSW2 as we speak, pretty excited to see the frame rate improvement

• Like Like x 2
  28. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Honest update please maybe after trying a few routes, I’m especially interested to know how the Bakerloo runs if you give that a go at some point

• Like Like x 1
  29. welshredskin

welshredskin Member

Well, I'm on SKA right now, first thing I had to do was turn the contoller sensitivity down to 1, I had in on 2 on the PS4 Pro, but now there's zero delay when you move the stick, and also vastly reduced delay when you operate sliders to move switches, so initially I was all over the place, even on 1 it's super responsive.
    To my eyes at least it transforms the game, just pulling out of Koln on a rainy evening and it's so smooth, even when you zoom in and out it's totally smooth.
    I'm sure I'll see the odd frame stutter shortly but right now I don't care, it's like a different game. I'm really happy right now.

• Like Like x 6
  30. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...nice to hear and how is the fan noise? Especially in the diorama menu of the PS4 and PS4 Pro, the fan can be heard clearly. Maybe we see a next gen update in the next year with higher resolution textures and a greater drawing distance. But I think that high res textures would require more storage space, as it is the case with the PC version...but for now I'm still satisfied with the 4K Pro version.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  31. welshredskin

welshredskin Member

There's no fan noise that compares to the PS4, all I can hear is a very slight hum, whether that's the coil whine or the fan I couldn't say for sure, it's actually pretty amazing to experience the peacefulness, it's totally inaudible with any ambient noise in the room, my PS4 Pro sounded like a turbine and even with headphones you could still hear it sometimes

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

Just done a quick journey from Munich to Augsburg and have to say its so smooth the majority of the time its an absolute joy to play. A few dropped frames when heading out but nothing to be disappointed about

• Like Like x 2
  33. Thunderer

The PS5 controller really is something else, there is so much that Dovetail could do with it when they start developing for PS5.

• Like Like x 4
  34. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

DTG I presume are still learning how to optimise things for consoles, but with train simulators there's a lot more being simulated than other games, which is why the often need so much power to run well.

• Like Like x 1
  35. welshredskin

welshredskin Member

Not sure if anyone has tried NTP yet, it's my favourite route, started the journey and the scenario Driving Rain, where you pass through the tunnels on the approach to Huddersfield, buttery smooth, when you come round the left hand curve and exit the tunnel into Huddersfield Station, man what a difference. Just beautiful.
    I can report the rest of the route was equally glorious. This might sound stupid, but I can't believe how more real everything seems.
    Going to hold off doing anymore NTP until the Heavy Freight pack drops.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1