Pc Versus Xbox

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by david-bright184169, Oct 30, 2020.

1. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

I have TSW 2020 and TSW2 on Xbox One,
    What are the benefits (if any) of running these on PC?
    On the streams there have been remarks about memory restictions on consoles
    Would it be worthwhile forking out money for a 4Gb video card to run these?
    I think with Microsoft Gamepass these can be installed on a PC without extra cost (I may be wrong)
    So would these run better on my PC?
    I have an Intel I7 and 8Gb of ram but only a 512mb video card I would welcome your suggestions

2. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Advantages are many

For PC:
    Higher visual fidelity ("Graphics")
    No caps on layers, giving you more services and AI traffic the more relevant DLC you own.
    Mods - while not officially supported, there have been some small mods like adding the "stand clear of the closing doors please" announcement to the Bakerloo line trains. Also you can share liveries and scenarios unofficially

Pro Xbox:
    You already own it
    Building a PC is expensive while even the latest and greatest Xbox will set you back $500 or so.

As for Gamepass, TSW2020 IS on gamepass, but without most DLC. TSW2 is NOT on gamepass and there are no plans to have it added to gamepass.

As for your current PC. i7 will be fine, even if it's an old one. 8GB RAM and a 512MB video card will not cut it, especially if you want to UPGRADE your visuals over the Xbone. If you upgrade your video card to something more modern and powerful there is then the potential knock-on effect of your Power supply maybe not being powerful enough to power the GPU.

I'm a PC gamer with a pretty high end rig...but I would NOT recommend building a gaming PC just for TSW2. If you want to get into PC gaming in general for other games, go for it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. david-bright184169

Thanks for that, all aspects of my PC cpu and psu (1200 watt) are up to it, but are you saying 8 gig of ram is not enough?

4. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

8 gig of ram is the lower end but just about OK, what kills you is the 512mb video ram which will not be nearly good enough. You probably need at least 4gb of video ram, ideally 6gb+

5. david-bright184169

Thanks, 4gb video would just about be affordable for me but any more would put it beyond my reach,
    looks like I'll just have to put up with my Xbox and all it's shortcomings

6. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

The benefits of having it on Xbox are that you can play on your telly whilst sat on a three peice suite, with your slippers on and smoking a fine Cuban cigar....

Happy daze....

• Like Like x 3
  7. david-bright184169

Have you been spying on me?

• Like Like x 2
  8. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

No.... I'm too busy smoking my second cigar....

• Like Like x 2
  9. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

He might be ok with 8GB, but given the memory issues the game is having with layers,...? Can't say as I have more than that, but I'm sure others with 8GB can comment. But I agree, the bigger problem is the anemic gpu.

10. Celendis

Celendis Member

I’m a PC gamer but I couldn’t recommend that an Xbox player consider a pc until we see how the Xbox series....series performs. The next generation consoles seem to have great specs for the money, and many games will carry over.

11. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

But here's the thing: unless DTG update TSW2 to take advantage of the new generation of consoles, it will still look and work the same as it does on current gen machines (okay maybe a little smoother). Unlike the PC version which is scalable, the version that is built for console has the graphics and other settings locked down and in some cases pared back (e.g. layers/services, passengers). DTG have been historically very slow on the uptake with regards to new (or should I say mid) console generations; the PS4 Pro has been available for 4 years yet an update to run at 4K was only recently made available (with the introduction of TSW2). Perhaps they will be faster with the PS5 and XBSX? I would not hold your breath lol.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

except from what has been mentioned already. A good gaming computer is expensive. I paid over Euro 2000 for mine and is is not a really top level system. Second you may want to play on a a 4k TV screen, which may be impressive.I do not know, I do not own an XBOX.

13. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

You don't need a console to play from the sofa... case in point: my PC is connected to a 65" 4K TV screen facilitated by a wireless keyboard, mouse, and controller. Also my racing rig is on castors so when I want to play a driving game I just wheel it in front of the TV and Bob's your uncle. So a PC does not have to be chained to a desk.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

Apart from the Cigar, that is exactly how I play the sim on my PC. Lol.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  15. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking depending on your game / tv refresh rate / gpu that gaming on a tv is hit and miss. I think I paid £1200 for my monitor to mitigate this and that was before the pc which was a royal “bend over and take it” amount

16. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

One benefit to gaming on a nice TV is that OLED is common nowadays. Monitors have been missing out on OLED for a while now, but it looks like LG is finally getting the message. ;)
    The greatest reason to avoid using a TV is that they often have atrocious input latency due to image processing. E-sports or not, using a mouse with a latent screen feels very mushy, imprecise, and uncomfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

In my experience it's no different from console gaming when selecting a TV for PC gaming. The Samsung TV I have has a game mode with quite low latency and 60Hz refresh. HDMI black level can be set in the Nvidia CP. To be honest it was a little trickier setting up Windows a few years back but nowadays W10 works much better with TVs and even HDR works great.

18. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

My PC is at a location where I can easily connect it to a TV set, unfortunately, but I can live with it.

19. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

Cigars and trains +1 I like stronger cigars so rarely smoke Cubans, but I do like them for a change.

20. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

The only real effective benefit between high-spec (min $2000) PC is that on PC you can play Train Simulator too.
    With new Xbox X Series, for $500 you'll gain 16GB of Ram, enough to play TSW2 like on the current gen high-spec PC.
    Except for the München-Augsburg (I suppose a temporary limit/issue) the number of timetable Services on Console and PC are exactly the same. Personally I aim to a high spec PC to have the best benefits from MSFS2020 than TSW2.
    Because MSFS2020 already need of 32GB of Ram (the double of nextgen consoles) and a "nextgen" graphics card, if you like to push it to the max.

21. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  22. chieflongshin

I believe the series x is 13 teraflops

23. david-bright184169

Thanks everyone for your input, that's given me a lot to think about.:D

• Like Like x 1
  24. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

They've caught up with the 1080Ti then ;) (launched in 2017 with 11.4 TFLOPS)

25. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Build a PC is more expensive then buying a console but:
    PC - more mods for TSW 2 (sounds, graphics, formations, substitutions), tons of sales for the game during the year, sharing scenarios from planner, liveries from livery editor, more layers in timetables even scenarios are more busy as some of them got separate timetable for consoles. And then when they add control support than RailDriver support :) And you can even use unreal console in game to go where you want (explore more stuff than just DTG let you).

26. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

1) To have a really better experience on PC you need to spent at least 4 times the Xbox One X (or Xbox Series X) cost.
    2) From what I know, except for the temporary limitation on Agsburg-München, PC and Console has exacly the same amount of Timetable services. Some example.
    Here,on your video you say 222
    http://www.trainsim.cz/?mod=article&showid=2401&nod1=33&query=#discuss

My Xbox One X say 222 the same.
    Train Sim World 2® 2020-11-08 23-29-16.png

And that is the Timetable on GWR on console (339 timetable)
    Train Sim World 2® 2020-11-08 23-30-39.png

About the mods, I got a controversal opinion with myself, because if from a side we got a more vast variety to choice, from the other side sometimes the quality of the mods its very subjective... and personally if there is something I really like, I'll create it myself and always for free. Like this one.

When doing an examination it would be nice if you were impartial and balanced. Listing pros and cons. On consoles, for example, I can keep the game on for even a month, or a year, day and night, without ever hearing the slightest noise from the fans. And without the console overheating. Does it work the same on PC?
    The only real advantage on PC (at the moment) are the discounts on DLCs and slightly better overall performance as long as you spend 4 to 6 times the price of an Xbox Series X.

• Like Like x 1
  27. chieflongshin

My personal experience.

Xbox one x
    Quick and easy worked ok.
    £449 and no noise
    Game pass is good.
    Slower frame rates

pc
    Far more flexibility in use.
    mine was £4.6k
    Lot more power
    Lot more fan noise
    Need to bear in mind that you may need to buy a bigger desk to get rig off floor
    May need to add onto your insurance

• Like Like x 1
  28. hightower

hightower Guest

£4.6K and you're getting fan noise?!

What on earth did you buy?

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. michael hooley

I run TS2021, TSW2, on my Pc but it has thousands of other uses as well. it is first and foremost our family computer.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  30. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I second this, for £4.6k (5k euros) your build should have a custom water loop, and should be totally quiet if not under torture load.

Also, these are insanse builds for TSW2 which is not that demanding of a game, on my old 6600k paired with a GTX1080 can run the game at 1440p at high settings, 50-60fps most of the time. The lowest I get is in the Munich station where it dips below 30.

Any reasonable current build should have no problem at running the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, no need to spend that much money on a PC to play TSW2 or any game really. My 5 year old machine cost less than $1500 even with inflation, and you could probably do better in a holiday sale, say $1,000. So console x 2?

32. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Another thing to add to your list

Consoles:

Can be easy taken anywhere

PC's

Not as easy to be taken just anywhere

33. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Dont forget laptops (although you do need to consider cooling with a laptop :D ).

I get a respectable performance out of mine -

Intel i7 9750H (6 core, 12 thread) 2.6Ghz base 4.5 Ghz turbo boost
    8Gig Ram
    Nvidia GForce GTX1660ti 6GB

Around about £1100 in a sale. I know I could get more performance for my money with a desktop, but at the time I didn't have space for a desk etc.

34. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I play on a laptop too, its a HP Pavilion and it cost about £1000 4 years ago. One limitation with this is I can't easily upgrade it myself as you can with desktop towers but it still plays TSW2, albeit with a lot of fan noise!

I'll add in to the differences the use of mouse and keyboard for PC and then the standardisation of hardware for consoles which generally means no little bugs that only affect one particular setup of machine.

I also think once there is a TSW2 for PS5 generation of machines the differences between PC and consoles for this game will be near zero.

I skipped the PS4 generation, but might go in for a PS5. I never felt PS4 was enough of a leap from PS3, and the need for a mid-generation new spec PS4 Pro kind of justified that in my mind. So spending £500 to play all the PS4 stuff I missed plus PS5 items is good I think, although I will stick with TSW on PC.

Disclaimer, I know the thread is about PC v Xbox, but I have lost track of their naming conventions so yeah I use PS instead as comparator :P

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  35. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I do that on PC, often with slippers but minus the cigar!

36. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I don't see DTG making a version for the next gen consoles for a long while. TSW2 will probably work fine in backward compatibility mode, but unfortunately with the graphics etc. still dialled back for last gen machines. Unless there is some financially viable reason for them to change the status quo, expect nothing to change. To avoid this kind of restriction a decent PC is still the most flexible solution (also consoles don't have ETS2/ATS!).

37. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Putting settings on all the platforms. As ps4 pro vs Ps4 slim is right now with resolution and hdr options. If you are on next gen the settings are adjustable, if youre on last gen the settings arent adjustable.

38. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I'm talking about the in-game settings or lack thereof, not those of the console hardware.

39. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The only problem with running games on an OLED TV is that you can quite quickly burn an impression on the screen, if a static image (e.g. the HUD) is left on there for even a short length of time. We bought a LG OLED 65" a couple of years ago and while it's great for movies etc., we've been very reluctant to do any gaming on it.

40. david-bright184169

A game does not have to be on Gamepass to play on PC as long as you own it you can play it using Xbox companion

41. michael hooley

Yes I was going to buy an Oled tv until I read about screen burn. settled for Qled.

Mike