The Horseshoe Curve And Surrounding Areas!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Brentagade, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Brentagade

Brentagade New Member

Greetings,

New to this. I’ve been in love with trains my whole life. I’m in the Air Force in Mississippi currently but born and raised in Altoona, Pennsylvania. Anyone that’s an avid train lover I’m sure has heard of Altoona. It’s home to some of the largest car shops in the world: Altoona, Juniata, and Sam Rea. There is a ton of railroad history surrounding Altoona and the PRR. Car shops, turn table, and more. The Horseshoe Curve was only 15 minutes from my house and I visited all the time. Every time I go home to visit, I take my kids there. It’s an engineering marvel for when it was built. There is constant railroad traffic there everyday. It was even a German target in WW2!
    It would almost be a crime NOT to include this route in a train sim game. PLEASE, make this a reality!!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. NEC_Male_TC

Horseshoe Curve belongs in the steam era though. Four tracks, one railroad, [diesel] and steam, passenger and freight. You get all of that with a steam era version of it. The present-day version looks much more boring in comparison to the steam era version because you don't get all of that. If it does get made for Train Sim World, it should be set in the 1940s or 1950s with at least one Pennsy steamer and have the full subdivision from Altoona to Pittsburgh.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. xxuntitledxx

xxuntitledxx New Member

I wouldn't mind the Pittsburgh Division between Johnstown and Altoona in modern day. Lots of helper activity and traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NEC_Male_TC

Nah, no offense, that wouldn't be exciting, and would be a poor decision on Dovetail Games' part if they did it that way. Even the Train Simulator 2018 version of it in the steam era doesn't live up to its full potential since that ends in Johnstown and not Pittsburgh.

I must say, I was very disappointed to hear when the [second] MSTS 2 was announced that they were going to have a present-day version of Horseshoe Curve that would only be from Altoona to Johnstown. Too short, not enough variety of trains and one less track on the curve. For those reasons (and more), I was actually glad to hear that the second MSTS 2 was canceled. Although I was disappointed to hear that the first one got canceled since that had a 1940s Horseshoe Curve route (which might've had Pittsburgh in it, I don't remember exactly), I would've loved to have that game and route back in 2003 or 2004.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  7. xxuntitledxx

xxuntitledxx New Member

even in the 60 miles between Johnstown and Altoona there is still a lot of traffic (150+ trains) and you have much of the helper district, I'm sure someone could extend it out to Conway in the future.

8. NEC_Male_TC

Still sounds boring to me.

9. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I agree that a TSW Horseshoe Curve Route needs steam. A T-1 Duplex, M1a or M1b Mountain, 2-10-4 Texas, and maybe a Consolidation would be great. A couple of vintage diesels like the Baldwin Centipede, a GP7 or GP9, and F7 (A & B), an SD7 or SD9, an ALCO RSD15, an SW7 or NW2, an ALCO PA (A & B), an FM H-24-66 Trainmaster or another FM diesel could be made as DLC. I would suggest the Centipede, the FM H-24-66, and a Geep or SD7/9.

• Like Like x 2