Tsw2 Ssd Via Usb [solved]

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Nov 8, 2020.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I was forced to evict TSW2 to an external drive. SSD connected to the USB port. Of course, the game loads a bit slower, but it works fine. However, waiting for the summary to be displayed and returning to the menu takes long minutes. Does anyone have similar experiences, can someone advise me something?

2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Older USB protocols are notorious for its low throughput - so access an SSD with its fast access and write speed is a bit like trying to drain a bathtub through a straw. Just make sure you are using a USB 3.2 - gen1( or higher) speeds are 5 Gbps while the latest are pushing 20 GBPs. USB 4.0 is pushing 40 Gbps — the old USB 2.0 are only 480 Mbps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It works very well, but ... once we reach our destination, the game displays a grade - only this moment lasts for long minutes. And it amazes me. Currently testing a variant with mklink / linkshellextension :D

4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

SOLUTION

If someone, like me, has problems with free space on the system disk, and has some external resource:

1. Install Hardlink Shell Extension from here (free).
    2. Create a folder called DLC on external storage.
    3. Move the whole contents from ..\Train Sim World 2\WindowsNoEditor\TS2Prototype\Content\DLC to the newly created folder.
    4. Delete DLC folder (that empty one, located in ..\Content).
    5. Right-click on the folder created in step 2 and click on
    obraz_2020-11-09_205623.png
    6. Go to ..\Content, right-click on empty space and choose: Drop As... > Junction
    obraz_2020-11-09_205843.png
    7. The base game content is now in the original location and the DLCs (.pak files) in the newly created one.
    8. BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2020
  5. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I actually have the TSW2020 installed on a external spining drive connected via USB 3 (TSW 2 is on my main SSD), and it works flawlessy, the loading times are a little bit higher, but once loaded, there are no hiccups or stutters caused by the external drive.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

I have a large enough hard drive for this not to be an issue, but I have the same problem as the "endgame" screen taking minutes to load.
    I have yet to find the reason, suspect the RAM could be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I have had this problem twice. The first time around, the disk format, a new Windows installation ... helped.
    This time, moving to an external drive caused "long debriefs".
    Something to think about. It's not "USB" fault. Winzarten has no such problems. So what is it?
    Try to temporarily move all files from this folder somewhere:

..\Train Sim World 2\WindowsNoEditor\TS2Prototype\Content\DLC

Move these files to the desktop, for example. Start the game. You'll only see three basic routes. Turn off the game. Bring these files back. In this case, you observe, the game performs a mini-update. Something changed in the configuration files apparently. For me, the maneuvers I described eliminated this issue. Perhaps this is a miraculous recovery because of "resetting" the contents of the DLC folder. Give it a try. Fingers crossed :)

PS If you use mods - restore ..\DLC without them. Just for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2020