PC Can Dtg Do Little Bit More Research

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Footballtraincrash, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Footballtraincrash

Footballtraincrash New Member

One of my biggest problems with TSW CSX Heavy Haul is the obvious lack of basic research of the locomotive. This becomes very apparent when listening to the horns on the locomotive as the are (for the most part) are incorrect. All it takes to realize the horns are wrong is to just to watch a few youtube videos. I would also like some more research done on the throttle system as it is obviously not true to life. Otherwise the game is fun and enjoyable. And the new first person mode adds a lot to a game like this.

2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

That is even wrong in TS.

3. Jacko

Jacko New Member

With respect, I think it's a tad unfair to accuse DTG of not doing 'basic research' on the basis of the US loco horns! I've just done some basic research myself on the subject, via the YouTube route you suggest, and have discovered at least three different types of horn in as many minutes, just for GP-38-2s, each with subtly different tones and chords. There is no single right answer, here.

A bit more 'off-YouTube' basic research has pulled up the fact that the GP-38-2s alone had at least five different variations of horn shipped from EMD or tweaked by the owners at various points once on the lines. See: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrhorns/lirrhorns.htm for a few variations. This isn't an exact science! I'd wager that there are probably many other 'customer variants' that get selected depending on company policies and the 'whatever's-available-in-stores-when-a-horn-needs-replacing' principle.

I expect that the GP-38-2 which DTG used for research (either this time round, or back in the TS/Railworks days) came with the horn we hear. Only they know for sure, but imho, I don't think it's too bad. Even if the same horn is incorrectly shared in-game between locos of different types, I could forgive that, if it's done because of download-size or memory-size limitations or lack of access to royalty-free (or affordable) source material. It is also the kind of thing that can be very easily tweaked at a later date, if the perfect sound can be found (but you can bet someone will still say it's wrong for their favourite region or company's loco).

As for the throttle problem that you say is 'obviously not true to life', please elaborate. Whilst I have not placed my hands on a US loco throttle in real-life, I have experience of a few in the UK, and the implementation in TSW doesn't seem far wrong from the normal expectation. Or even that wrong at all, per se. Response under various load is about right, notching seems reasonable, recovery and fallback seems ok. What is it you think is incorrect? Perhaps if you explain in a bit more detail, and provide some background info to illustrate the specific problems, these things might get tweaked?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

There are threads at different forums (including Steam), that go on and on for miles illustrating, providing and detailing everything about this problem. Regardless, if nobody desires to fix it, it won't be fixed.

Even comparing three available EMD locos between themselves, applying your basic knowledge of physics and principles of their operation, you can see that power, tractive effort, ampermeter readings and braking physics (sometimes) are just bonkers. Especially when comparing to GP40, which came last and more or less realistic one from this bunch.

On every occasion DTG says they are working on it and it proves more difficult than anticipated. Perhaps they are. But chances are that their workings will be incorporated into new content, leaving stock Sand Patch locos unplayable for those like me who look for realistic traction and braking physics and consist behavior, which are arguably the main challenges in US freight.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jacko

Jacko New Member

That sounds to me like an implementation issue, not a lack of basic research.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MarkusLiberty

MarkusLiberty Active Member

There's nothing wrong with wanting a realistic simulator, but we cant afford being so picky that we're willing to turn our backs on the developers every time we see something in a YouTube video that might contradict the in-game experience

And massive threads littered with angry comments on aren't going to change the fact that simulating realistic, real world physics simply isn't viable in a game-engine. What we get might not be entirely true to life, but it's pretty close, and it's not like most of us would really know the difference

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  7. AnimeDubs

AnimeDubs New Member

At least DTG has a simulator, ATS is an arcade game compared to this. Just wait till modding tools are available.

8. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

We strive to ensure that our sounds are as close to the real thing as possible and will always attempt to procure the authentic audio by on location recording where possible, however sometimes we are unable to/allowed to gain access to the resources we require and must work with a supplier, as was the case with CSX Heavy Haul.

We are aware that there have been a number of reports of inaccurate audio with the trains in Heavy Haul in particular and are actively looking into this.

- Jay

• Like Like x 3