Other Scenario Planer Ecw And Off The Rails - Slight Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mclitke, Nov 10, 2020.

1. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Upfront, I posted this in pc discussion 2 days ago but did not receive an answer, so I thought I would broaden my search for advice here where people from all platforms are involved. Chances are someone actually knows something.

So I used scenario planner alot more often now and got quite comfortable using it - even with the restrictions it currently has.
    I like the heritage locos from WSR but the route often takes too long for me due to the speed limit and I decided I want to make my own "diesel show" on ECW. My own train starts at Lewes and goes to Brighton and I encounter 3 AI trains on the way, and one justs sits in Brighton and Lewes each stationary (sadly you can't fill the empty platforms yet). Mind you this has to be made via off the rails and it is the first time I used off the rails, my problems might come from that and I just wouldn't know. I have two issues, one minor and one major, where maybe someone here knows a solution:

Minor issue: My own train as well as AI trains marked as passenger services need to stop at the stations as usual, but don't have loading timers. This I can easily ignore, since you have no time restraints in scenario planner and I can just open/close as I please. Tt would still be nice to have the usual loading timer though.

Major issue: All trains that go from Brighton to Seaford or Eastbourne are not pulling the wagons but pushing them. It isn't a gameplay problem but as many of you might agree, it is alot nicer to see a loco at the horizon passing you instead of the end of a passenger wagon. So this is an issue that I would like to change if possible.

There is an exception to this, I also spawned a CL 45 at Lewes' freight train platform (going south to the loading station, Mark 2 passenger wagons) and the stationary CL 20 (coupled with 2 BR 101) at Brighton - both these trains are leading their consists the direction they would move to if they reached their starting timer.

All other AI trains are just random consists of NTP and WSR trains and their respective Mark 1 or Mark 2 carriages, the Mark 1 wagons with B or C variants.

Thanks for any ideas!

2. AGoodJudge

AGoodJudge Active Member

There's a general bug associated with scenario planner on ECW, which is that it places you facing in the Brighton direction even if you didn't want to go there. You wouldn't have noticed this if your scenario was Lewes-Brighton, but if you try Lewes-Seaford or Eastbourne, it will put you in the wrong cab facing towards Brighton with a red signal in front of you, and you have to change ends to get a green one.

The same happens with the AI trains too - which is why they sometimes seem to be driven backwards. The drivers haven't worked out that they should change ends.

The only scenarios which don't have this problem are ones which start at Brighton, and freight services starting at Lewes.

Incidentally, if you want the AI trains in your scenario to move, they have to be set to depart later than your train - but maybe you don't :)

3. mclitke

Thank you for your reply! So it was a bug after all.
    The ai trains were moving as I wanted them to, the two stationary are intended to be stationary, the others moved but pushing the cars rather than pulling them. At least I know it is an issue that I can not resolve by myself.

Guess I will build my own heritage run on tees for the time being then, I heard an awful lot about red signals on GWE...
    Or according to your post it should work if I do a route from Brighton to Lewes, the ai trains towards Brighton should then be facing the right way right?

4. AGoodJudge

AGoodJudge Active Member

That's right - if you're leaving Brighton, and the AI trains are all heading towards Brighton, everything should be pointing in the right direction.

TVL has another similar issue - last time I tried scenario planner all the trains spawned pointing towards Darlington. So if you weren't planning to go that way, you have to change ends.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. mclitke

Oh dear surprises everywhere. Well at least I know the issue now and have an idea what to do in order to "fix" it:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. mclitke

Brief reply, switched everything around now it is working as intended. Ai trains pass me with the Loco pulling the wagons, splendid!

Unfortunately still no loading times. Is that because of off the rails maybe?

7. AGoodJudge

AGoodJudge Active Member

Off the rails should still give you the usual loading times. The only way I can make it not give loading times is if I forget to tick the box for "passenger service" when setting up the scenario. Could that be the issue?

8. mclitke

No I checked that, the ai trains and my own are all marked as passenger services. Might be an issue with the route itself? Or maybe with the stock?
    Basically as soon as I stop at a station it tells me to stop at the next one without the need for loading passengers.

Also I found out that a class 09 grn that I spawned at moulsecoomb towards Brighton does not actually get spawned.

9. AGoodJudge

AGoodJudge Active Member

Which train were you driving in the scenario? I'll see if I can repeat it.

10. mclitke

I used the Class 33. As a matter of fact I tried another run from Lewes to Seaford - player train gets switched again, loco at the rear. When I start at Seaford it works, but then the ai trains passing me by have their loco at the back.
    For this one I used the Class 52 Western and at Bishopstone (is that the correct name? First station after Seaford) I needed to stop but again no passenger timer. Seems as it is not tied to the loco by the looks of it.

Another fun fact, when starting a train in Lewes with more than 4 of the MK1 carriages you will get spawned on foot at a random station.

11. AGoodJudge

AGoodJudge Active Member

It seems to be partly train-specific, but in a completely random way...
    I set a passenger service, off the rails scenario leaving Brighton platform 8, terminating at Lewes and stopping at all stations in between. With the class 33, there's no passenger timer, not even at Brighton. Same with the class 52. And also the class 47. But oddly everything works fine with the class 45 (except that when you get to London Road it forces you to open the doors on the wrong side), and an HST works too. So does a tube train.

When you tried Lewes-Seaford, you encountered the problem where the train points towards Brighton even if you don't want to go that way, so it only works if you're using a train with 2 cabs so that you can change ends. When you start from Seaford, you're pointing the right way by default, but the AI trains coming the other way, which also spawned facing in the Brighton direction, are reversing.

I tried to repeat the scenario in which you drove a class 33 from Brighton and wanted to pass a class 09 on the way, starting from Moulsecoomb. This didn't work because it spawned me at Newhaven Harbour instead....

12. mclitke

Really weird and messed up. But I honestly appreciate your help in replicating the issues and experimenting with it.

I suppose you got spawned elsewhere because your train was too long? It allows for longer trains sometimes but if you pick one you get sent to a random station as I was when spawning a 52 at lewes with more than 4 wagons.
    I guess I will have a try from lewes to Eastbourne and see if the cabs work that way, otherwise I will have to change plans and try other routes.
    Thank you alot!

• Like Like x 1