Roadmap Update 10th November 2020

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Never was.

• Like Like x 1
  2. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to the dash-8

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

On this roadmap, there are a fair number of fixes for Sandpatch. That is good and makes me happy. But, there are about 20 routes now. If the most urgent fixes are applied at this speed, it will take about a year to get all DLC more or less stable and performing with the quality we expect. This worries me. Yes, there are few fixes already issues for other routes that Sandpatch, but for instance for the scenario planner not all bugs have been addressed yet, not talking about serious functional improvements. I think the speed to get it all fixed is not high enough at the moment. I may be mistaken, but I discover about one bug a day, which I report. Not all bugs are equally important, but this makes for say 4-5 important bugs for each two week period.

• Like Like x 11
  4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Can’t wait to see these working in ECW. Now to make them work in GWE please!

upload_2020-11-10_18-18-32.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes maybe you are right, it would be good to get the class 313 at least before Christmas. I am looking forward to the TGV route too.

• Like Like x 3
  6. rhysrobinson336

rhysrobinson336 Member

Where exactly as I have a Xbox one x running at 4K and did a Manchester To Leeds Run and then Leeds To Manchester in same session and had no issues anywhere on the route. Not even the miles platting issue came into play and in other sessions I have done multiple runs from Leeds To Manchester and not had any problems around miles platting. Also in all sessions I did I had the weather set to full cloud and rain in autumn season.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  7. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

+1 to both sugestions

• Like Like x 4
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Remember DTG saying "We're concentrating on getting the preserved collection out, then look at fixes"?
    That should mean that now the pre-col is almost all out, fixes will be prioritized by Adam and his team

• Like Like x 1
  9. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Fixed the texture and Building draw distance on Xbox Series X and give us the Full PC Power

• Like Like x 2
  10. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Overall I'm pleased with this Roadmap, especially the imminent arrival of the Dash 8, but there are some things that I wish were coming sooner. Track sound and the save functionality have already been mentioned but perhaps the one thing that irks me more than anything is the water texture quality (or lack of it) in some routes. What's a little mystifying is that this was pretty much solved in TS so why is it AWOL in TSW?

• Like Like x 2
  11. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

im not suprised tbh. i think they would want finish with the content basket they have selected 1st. when there is 3-5 content left then we will see new contents in planning.

12. maz_62

maz_62 Active Member

It’s really good to see this roadmap developing. The clarify of infomation provided really appreciated.

Hoping that DTG will include investigations as to how the significant power improvements on the new generation consoles can be harnessed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I suspect the development of those two routes is very much "linked" togheter, as said in another post, HS1 and LGV share the same signalling and safety systems so I think the HS1 bit of SE HS and LGV were developed togheter (and maybe started on HS1 to do some early experiment and apply them to LGV), after that they put SE HS (particularly the slow bit) on hold to finish the LGV for whatever reason (easier to build? More likely to be complete for the usual Christmas release?)... but that's pure speculation

14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think in addition to the Roadmap, it would be good if DTG told us more about where they are up to in development. Not only will it help us to understand the development process but it could be interesting too. It might better help us to realise why things take as long as they do.

I really like how Rivet released YouTube videos talking about developing IoW and the 483 and I think DTG could benefit from this too.

Aside from my obvious love of trains, I do have an interest in game/software development and as they’re telling us what’s coming, they could go a little further and tell us how. Not necessarily when.

• Like Like x 3
  15. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

The problem with that is the fact things can look like finished or almost finished when they aren't... so we get people spamming "wHeN iS iT cOmInG" like we had for IoW.

I'd just rather have a percentage written beside the add-on which delineates how near completion it is, which of course is a rough estimate and doesn't tell anything about any possible release date.

But this can also cause confusion if, for example a project is put on hold near completion to give priority to another project still at an earlier stage of production.

I think while it would be interesting people wi just use it to foresee a release date or order in which things will be released creating false expectation which defies the whole point of the roadmap

• Like Like x 2
  16. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a percentage completion on the routemap still just lead to spam from some people begging to know "when is it coming out?" I think the best solution might be the way they had a 'surprise' reveal stream for Munich-Augsburg. I think that was pretty cool, as they showed a dev build that was effectively ready to be packaged and released; it built excitement and hype, it was more effective than simply releasing screenshots, and it wasn't shown off well in advance of being ready to go, as had seemingly been done with Rivet and IoW. (Albeit, perhaps, slightly less cool for people who were expecting and hoping for the regular Workshop Wednesday stream.)

• Like Like x 7
  17. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I think a better way would be to have all the upcoming routes and locos numbered to show in what order they will be released so Munich-Augsburg could be 1, LGV 2 and so on. They must know what order they will be released in. Southeastern High Speed has been in 'in production' for by far the longest time and therefore I was certain that it would be coming next, so seeing it leapfrogged by LGV Marseille-Avignon is a bit of a downer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

No mention of TSGs stuff so there will no 420 and Vossloh this year..?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

ECW PIS! Over the moon. Just waiting for the ability to make your own onboard announcements haha.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

It was 1.3 miles fro
    It was 1.3 miles approaching Manchester and chapter 2 using 101 at the time of 15.41departure.

21. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Great to see so many fixes for Sandpatch, and the C40-8W in next arrivals!

• Like Like x 2
  22. jeanmarc094

French TGV info confirmed for tomorrow. 39:30 and 1:21:00

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  23. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Nice to see they actually can do this now

• ★ [Upgrade] Add PIS to Long Island Railroad DLC
    • ★ [Upgrade] Add PIS to East Coastway DLC'
    And would be good for GWE just for immersion, but it still is a route just too short for the HST, these high speed routes need to be longer as it gets repetitive. I hope the preserved team, core team and all teams come together at some point and spend longer on making a longer route that at least has 4 stops for a high speed train instead of one. As I've said before, if they implored some community assistance it could go far and it's a start that Rivet have made a route, just needs to be longer.

• Like Like x 5
  24. rodgers.jayshawn4848

rodgers.jayshawn4848 Active Member

Wonder when we are going to see what the Dash 8s looks like

25. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Maybe an announcement this week.

26. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

If it doesn't get trampled in the hype by the TGV route this week first (Which I'm betting it will tomorrow).

27. jeanmarc094

tomorrow is for TGV. 39:30 and 1:21:00

28. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. You all know what you want from the beginning of this roadmap. And that's all I'm gonna say.

29. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

For anyone wondering, December 3rd is when the LGV is likely to release based on DTG’s DLC patterns. That being said, this date is by no means a guarantee.

30. ArKaDeN

ArKaDeN New Member

I don't know if you know but in France there are s-bahn lines, just in case.

31. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Также подумайте, что им нужно добиться отсутствия реверберации под мостами и туннелями, а также с качеством звука трека в целом.
    I'm looking forward to it too. There are not enough live sounds of movement along the track. More driving dynamics is needed. I want good sounds from the locomotive window.

• Like Like x 1
  32. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I wonder what kind of surprise Matt is preparing for Christmas and which is not in the roadmap.
    Maybe this is NEC + GP 40-2 + 1500, and there will be a complete saved collection?

33. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I would like to comment on this issue, which dropped unsolved from the roadmap.

[Working as designed] Sand Patch Grade Timetable - Y106 Refuel Service - The service is missing the refuelling objective. Instead it skips over this part.

The claim is this works as designed, so into my point of view the design is bugged. It is far to easy to claim the designs are flawless and then put off the valuable customers in this way. I am not very angry on this specific topic, but in general, it is a bad example of how to deal with reports from customers and it also shows some remains of arrogance. So, please, DTG think about this.

I realize this probably cannot be fixed with reasonable means at present time, because in timetable mode fuelling is not supported. But, I still like to suggest to have a look at more creative solutions. I think you can put text in the objective. A simple text here, saying refuel end then continue to ... might be a solution as well, or introduce a spoken comment. A valid choice might have been to to create a timetable drive like this at all as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. kolesnikvictor

kolesnikvictor Active Member

Very good news! Thank you, DTG! But I still want to get your clear answer about planned Clinchfield railroad. Please, let us know why you decided to release cut version of it compared with TS one( I can't receive clear and understandable answer for my reply, unfortunately. Some people told that "it takes much more time to create route for TSW then for TS" and so on and so on. But you have already transferred several routes (and you are going to release in foreseen future) from TS with the same length. Therefore such "reasons" makes no sense. So, please uncover your plans regarding this route. Will it be released from Elkhorn to Dante or you will add section from Dante to St. Paul like in TS?

• Like Like x 1
  35. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

I think you mis-understand what 'working as designed' means in this context. It does not mean 'flawless', it means, 'not a bug'. It's an industry-standard way of describing features of a product that are what they were intended to be, regardless of whether the features are well designed or not.

A bug means a mistake was made as per what was intended, as this was what intended it isn't a bug, it just falls under the category of things people don't like. Now, you can say you think the design is bad, not very intuitive, that it leads to a worse player experience, and be perfectly correct, but still, there are a plethora of things about any game that could be improved that never will be because the resource + time to do so is not worth it.

36. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Speaking about the french route, according to Wikipedia and Openrailway map, the high speed route between Marseille and Avignon has only one stop in the middle at Aix-en-Provence and only TGV trains run on this section.

Don't you think it's a bit "poor" compared to HMA for example? Why didn't they decide to make a route with more stations or with more services?

Just a question, not meaning to be argumentative.

• Like Like x 4
  37. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

I think because it is already in ts and because of COVID they can't go out to explore different routes.

• Like Like x 3
  38. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Because the only routes where TGVs go at full speed are purpose built route with different electrification, signalling and safety systems compared to the rest of French network, same in Italy and I think Spain.

Also if I'm not mistaken it's the only TGV route already built in TS20XX so they can use that as a template and no need to travel to France.

• Like Like x 1
  39. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes ts20xx have TGV route

40. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

I'm glad the French route is coming first as it's more interesting than the Southern 3rd rail routes they keep releasing (and I keep not buying). The Swiss route will be my next probable purchase after that. The British Preserved collection is way more interesting than the new British releases; DTG are saving me a fortune.

Also, I don't buy COVID as an excuse for re-releasing the same stuff. In Britain, the rules allow travel for work you can't do at home and there are plenty of source materials available for routes that you can access without leaving your computer.

41. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

About half/one third on SE HS is on the HS1 line, a high speed connection between London and the Channel Tunnel, where the Class 395 travels at 225 km/h and is equipped with the french signalling and safety systems. At a certain point (Ebbsfleet Intl.) it branches off and goes to the third rail bit

• Like Like x 3
  42. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

Yes, but I don't find driving through tunnels particularly interesting and if I want to do that I can do it on Bakerloo...

• Like Like x 1
  43. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Sam said they need to sort out some business stuff between DTG and TSG (probably percentage cut, distribution, etc., nothing insane) and before that they don't want to put it on the roadmap as it's not 100 % certain it will appear. (If for example TSG ask for all revenue, DTG wouldn't agree, they want some percentage for the platform (that is absolutely ok, no hate)). It will PROBABLY appear sooner or later, no big reason for it to be thrown away if both sides are reasonable.
    AI cannot refuel. In scenarios you know which consist is player-based, so you can give them specific instructions. In the timetable, all instructions have to be universal, so AI can do them. That's why you, for example, have no cold starts in the timetable.
    The one thing I am looking forward to in SE HS is the traction switching. It will be the first route with this mechanic in the game.

• Like Like x 9
  44. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

There is almost no tunneling in SE HS, it's just a few km just outside London, until Stratford.

The third rail part has almost no tunneling at all

• Like Like x 6
  45. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

Unless I'm very confused I believe this route has at least 18km of tunnels.

46. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I'm just going by memory of me driving the route in TS20XX... the tunnelling is only on the first part of HS1, once you are out of Stratford you only have another section of tunnel than it's all viaduct and bridges until Ebbsfleet. At 225 km/h it doesn't last all that long

• Like Like x 4
  47. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

You are wrong, there are essential work visits and non-essential ones. We are not allowing visitors to any of our factories or offices unless essential, it is likely TOC's and Network Rail would have a similar attitude to their sites, a DTG research visit would not be considered essential. We have had HSE carry out a Covid secure check in the last few days so people are watching out for breaches. It might be an inconvenient truth for you, but it certainly rings true from my experience of working during this pandemic.

You can only do so much via online resources, getting the minutiae of detail of a subject or location and getting the feel of a location is not easy from your computer.

Personally I would prefer a Southern route of slam door stock but I think this route is more interesting than some other route choices, especially ECW. You have the classic lines with more traditional signalling and the HS1 line with the in cab signalling and the feel of two different lines a Victorian and a modern 21st century route so for me that makes it interesting. I am looking forward to the TGV line greatly but personally I would say the South Eastern route will be easily as interesting and will have a little more variety.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  48. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Its not about what is permitted now, but what where the guidelines and expectations back when they decided what routes to do.

• Like Like x 4
  49. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I agree SE HS is my most played route in TS20xx because it's really interesting to drive it has a bit of everything. Also the Class395 it's great the way it's done in TS20xx, and I hope it will be a similar (but enhanced) experience in TSW... I love the sounds of the TS20XX C395 they really feel very refined, little squeak during braking for example and the motors sound great too

• Like Like x 5
  50. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I agree with all those saying Southeastern High Speed is more interesting than the French TGV. SEHS has overhead and third raill, including the changeover at Ebbsfleet, and commuter and high speed trains with a big range of speed limits. The French route will be interesting, if only because it is the first route outside of the UK, Germany and North America, but other than that I wouldn't say its that exciting. I would certainly have preferred SEHS to have come first and be DTGs flagship Christmas route release. On the other hand, hopefully the fact its taking longer means they are putting real effort into it to make it the best it can be.

• Like Like x 6