Loco Dlcs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cramnor, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

During yesterday's road map stream, Sam started talking about Loco DLCs and how that is something that strongly depends on whether customers buy it or not - it seems to be less lucrative than routes to my understanding. I have some thoughts and comments about that I would like to address here, and also give other players the chance to get their voices heard.
    Disclaimer: The following is my personal opinion, and everyone is welcome to disagree, but please stay friendly and on topic :) Since I only use the German routes, my comments are mainly focused on those, but the same applies to other routes and everyone is welcome to add for those :)

First of all, some choices seem strange to me. For example the DB BR101 for SKA - this type of train is not running on that route (as has been mentioned before in other threads). So I am a bit less likely to buy this DLC, in order to get some schedules on a route the train doesn't even operate on. Likely (based on previous experiences), there will be no services implemented on HMA, where it would actually make sense.
    Which brings me to my next point: schedules. A DLC loco that comes with a handful of services is not understandable to me. Yes we have scenario planner, but I don't accept that as an excuse, especially when looking at Loco DLCs such as the shunters - I cannot create any reasonable schedule with the scenario planner! So I pay a lot of money for an interesting loco that might even be well made, but I can use it for a couple of services and that's it? The fun I can expect to have with the loco seems very short for me due to this.
    Which brings me to my last and strongest point: the price. A typical route comes with 1 to 2 locos and costs 30€. A typical loco DLC is 14€. Does that mean building a route in the worst case is covered by something like 2€? This is really hard to imagine, and creates a feeling in my that a loco DLC is just not worth it. I am by no means an expert, but I would expect route modelling is at least as time consuming as creating a loco, if not even more! And then, especially if for that (in comparison to a whole route) high price, I only get a couple of services on one route, I am really not convinced to buy the DLC.
    The 204 and 363 are such nice locos, I would love to play them and do some shunting. MSB has a whole section that is modeled but we cannot use without the BR204. And then we get the BR204, and I was so disappointed seeing it has 5 services or something? Same goes for the BR363.

My suggestions for improvements:
    - Make the loco DLCs work on more routes than just one (by adding a new layer to add-ons the player owns, should not be a technical issue). I would for example really like to see the BR440 for HMA, but I am really worried that if it comes, it is not going to take over the schedule as it should be (i.e. replacing the Dostos and BR425), but maybe adds a handful of services. In that case, I would not buy it. Locos such as the BR363 could be used at HMA as well, e.g. pulling trains of the station to the depot or preparing freight trains.
    - Create an adequate amount of scenarios and schedules for the player (HMA comes with 300+ services, while the B363 comes with something like 10?). The nicest modeled loco is no use to players if they cannot play it. So locos should come with extensive schedules. I also don't like the replace option that is applied for the freight services with the BR155 and BR182 for example. I believe they deserve their own schedules.
    - Make the prices more reasonable. If all the above is included in the DLC, I believe something around 10€ would be a much fairer price, and would be in a better relation to route DLCs as well. I mean, one advantage with software development is that you don't have more costs related to the amount you sell. So making the add-ons a bit cheaper of course means less money per sold unit, but if that doubles the number of people buying the DLC, it will be worth it for DTG as well in the end. Isn't that a win-win situation for bother players and DTG?

Final comment: I think the loco quality itself is good, what I have seen so far looks really good. The models are nice and detailed, as you would expect. But everything around it feels wrong for me, which is why I have all the loco DLCs on my wishlist, but haven't bought a single one so far. Still waiting for a significant sale, but even then I would not be sure. I like the idea of loco DLCs, and I am very willing to buy them, but at the moment with the current circumstances, I have absolutely no motivation to spend money on them.

Now to you, other TSW drivers and nerds :) How do you feel about this topic?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i cant see why they cant have someone making locos or trains and lets say put 3 of them in a DLC. id pay for them. i asked on steam yesterday why cant they produce a BR Blue 37 which is badly needed, they already have a 37 running on TVR tees valley, so they could just copy on paste it and give it a coat of paint. job done.

it can be done because i saw matt doing it on a video on youtube with the tools which we dont have. i never got an answer

3. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Well said I feel more needs to be done tsw2 we were sold as being something new yet on looking at upcoming dlc none of it is knew as on doing research online both the upcoming french route and London to faversham were previously released on pc in train sims yet DTG claim about doing things differently so my point is this us nothing new in train sim only in tsw2 also if things being repeated from other train sims for example London to faversham why do we still not have all these years on no turbostars sprinters or pacers ?

4. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

- Make the loco DLCs work on more routes than just one

this is the killer point for me. A loco needs to add layers to any route it would make sense to for me to buy it. its a big thing why I havent brought something like the 204/363 - they could be on any route, but theyre not. Its what id imagine it would be like if they did a standalone class 70 for example for GWE, but it added NOTHING to any other UK route, whats the point? wait until a route comes out with it in the base package? buy the same train multiple times? I thought Matt wanted to avoid that.

5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

They have explained several times why this is though. The main reason is that they haven't been able to do the research due to the pandemic so they are using what material they have. I suspect when things are easier you will see new routes.

• Like Like x 1