Class 166 "guard"?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Clumsy Pacer, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed sometimes the Class 166 will do the doors automatically, as if there's a guard/conductor doing them instead of the driver?

I don't know the exact procedure to activate it as I've not tested it enough. If it is a bug, please DTG, keep it in (and possibly even expand it), as it's quite cool IMO, if a bit freaky the first time it happens.

See this video if you want to see it:

(filmed on my phone to prove I'm not pushing any keys).

I was driving service 2P21 Reading - London (leaves Reading at 0734), after having spawned on foot. I opened the doors at Reading using the buttons in the rear cab before the service started. I closed the doors manually just before the start of the service in the other cab.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

oh I got to try this :D

3. Clumsy Pacer

Do tell me if you get it as well (I know one other person who gets it).

I should say, I have the First Great Western liveries activated through a mod, although it happens on both liveries. Perhaps that's causing it?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  4. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

I know that the cab doors automatically close if you move the train while they are open, but I never noticed it with the passenger doors.

5. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Uh it's happening. Pretty odd bug
    Pretty cool tbh

6. Clumsy Pacer

Cna I ask - do you have the mod that enables the FGW liveries?

7. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

8. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

IRL these services ran without a guard.
    So it's definitely a bug.

9. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me on IOW, but only once.

10. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Nope I'm on console :)

11. space_ace96

space_ace96 Active Member

It's a bug. I've had it happen on Bakerloo and LIRR. For me, it only happens when I finish a service and go to the other cab to drive the next service back. If you're still sitting in the seat when the service ends, it makes you the driver of the next service immediately. When you get up and change cabs, the game asks if you want to give up your old service to take over the "new" one. My theory is that it treats the two cabs like separate trains, and when you change cabs, it results in both you and an AI driver being in control. Since you obviously are in command of the driving controls, the AI controls the doors like it was its idea. It will open and close them for you, and if you try to close them early, it will reopen them. You can tell it's the AI because in Bakerloo, you can hear the door open and close buttons being pressed 3 times like the AI always do for some reason.

12. Clumsy Pacer

Interesting, because I've done multiple runs on Bakerloo changing cabs and never had it happen, nor have I had the UI pop up asking if I want to give up the service while changing cabs.
    It's similar on the 166 - 4 presses when opening (Because the 166 doors take a billion years to open), but just once to close them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve sat in the passenger seat after briefly sitting in the driver’s seat to see what the service was and the AI operated the train but all the instructions still came up and I got the AP points for the run. When I tried to recreate that another time the AI did the doors but didn’t drive, so not exactly this but similar. It’s quite easy to confuse TSW when returning to free roam after a service where the train is then scheduled for a return trip. It doesn’t like you doing it. Starting on foot and then opening the doors from the wrong end was probably enough to confuse the game’s brain in your case. From then on it’s gone door crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Something similar happened with me as well once on Isle of Wight. I decided to ditch a service mid way to go for some exploration. After a while the AI took over and left the station, but I could still see all the instructions and got points for them, and after the AI reached Shanklin, I got a service end screen with medals.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I had this on some german routes. It happens if you are not sitting in the driver's seat at the moment the service starts. It's a bug.

16. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Yes I've had the same. Also happens if you switch trains.. I worked into PAD on a 166, got the pop-up saying job done - shut down the cab and closed the doors, the performance graph appeared and I clicked E to continue in free roam. I left the cab and wondered off down the platform and sat as a passenger in a HST back West. I didn't get the option to hand control to the AI driver at all. The points racked up as the AI drove the 166 while I snoozed on the cushions!

• Like Like x 2