Guards

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by roywild1136, Nov 12, 2020.

1. roywild1136

roywild1136 New Member

Who agrees that we should have an option to enable AI Guards for ultimate realism , especially in the NTP & Tees Valley DLC as the era they are set no train ever ran without a Guard , even today most trains have Guards/Conductors operating doors, maybe even enable an option to play as a Guard

• Like Like x 2
  2. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Hi Roywild1136 - Yes guards would be good.

I was reading the TSW original GWR HST manual the other day, and it says wait for the the buzzer from the guard before proceeding.

I have never heard a guards buzzer in TSW or TSW2 (other than when I press it!)

I guess it means you have to be the guard, and press the buzzer twice, and then press again twice as the driver.
    (seems a bit pointless to acknowledge yourself!)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Soon after I bought Trans Pennine and started driving the 101, I suggested that instead of the artificial noise the game makes to wake you up and tell you to close the doors, it should sound the guard's buzzer twice and forget about the door opening and closing pantomime. The passengers opened the doors on those trains. Recently, I've been using the scenario planner more than the timetable and at station stops, I'm not getting any instructions to unlock and lock doors and it's much better. Far more realistic, probably no points but I don't care about that. I also stop where I want, not at the sometimes daft locations the game wants you to stop. A much better experience, more like the trains I rode on back then.

• Like Like x 1
  4. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Hi Tonto62 - yes I agree its good creating your own scenarios and defining places to stop.

My favourite NTP scenario I have created at the moment is called Christmas Day - all the signals are at red and the trains don't move
    :mad::mad::mad:;)

Joking aside - took my Talent2 (Class 195 look a like in Northern Livery) for a run on NTP - its certainly gets up the hills a lot quicker than the 101!

The braking on the class 101 DMU is lot better that the Talent2 though!

Looks like the traffic paths from Stalybridge are not affected by the red signal issue, so can do most of the line now.

Haven't got any pictures on the NTP yet, but below is the Talent2 running on East Coastway.

Like the suggestion of replacing the door shutting noise with the buzzer. In the cab it is quite difficult to hear the doors shut.. especially on the newer trains.

Northern Trains.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I was excited to try the scenario planner on the Trans Pennine but when I found how limited the possibilities were (only one useable platform at both Manchester and Leeds, no access to the bay at Stalybridge) and read about the red signal issue, I decided to leave it until things improve. There are problems on Tees Valley as well. Redcar ore terminal doesn't seem to work as a destination and I've had trains spawning in the wrong direction but I've set up a few interesting scenarios with the class 47. East Coastway is quite good fun and it's all very promising for the future if things continue to develop.