Getting Gold Medals On Great Western Express Training Modules

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Maxboy444, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Maxboy444

Maxboy444 Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I don’t think you can earn enough AP to get Gold Medals. I think you can only get Bronze at the current time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Maxboy444

Maxboy444 Member

Okay, thanks! :)

4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I ran into the same issues not getting Gold Medals as well
    For the Class 43 came up 174pts short
    For the Class 166 came up 190pts short
    For the Class 66 came up 141pts short

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

My understanding is the medal thresholds are manually calculated and entered by the Devs based on expected maximum score. If they get their sums wrong it can mean sometimes gold is impossible. The situation not helped by the fact the medals were not originally in the game and were not a feature when some of the older routes were first released.

I did read another thread in which it was suggested that those desperate for gold, could drive back and forwards numerous times to earn extra driving points, but I guess the control lock in the Tutorials could make this difficult in some cases.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. w2sjw

w2sjw Active Member

Drive REALLLY slow so you get multiple 'driving under the speed limit' bonuses... :D

• Like Like x 4
  7. hightower

hightower Guest

The question does beg itself...does it really matter?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maxboy444

Maxboy444 Member

Okay. I’ll try lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maxboy444

Maxboy444 Member

For me it does. I wanna try and complete the Great Western Express route and to do that I want to get Gold Medals on everything.

• Like Like x 2
  10. hightower

hightower Guest

It’s a train simulator though, not a game to ‘complete’.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

For you maybe, for others maybe not. Personally I like to try and get gold medals. I also like finding collectables, so that part for me is definitely a game.

• Like Like x 6
  12. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Personally I am not interested in the more "gamey" aspect of TSW but I think it is good that it has that element to it as it may attract more players including some who may be casual gamers who might become railway enthusiasts. I think if people enjoy the collectables and seeing how many points/medals they get, then great. Having said that I do look at how many points I have earnt sometimes.

Surely that is the beauty of TSW in that you can enjoy the simulation aspect of it or it appeals to a more competitive side. I can't see anything negative about that at all.

• Like Like x 6
  13. hightower

hightower Guest

Don’t get me wrong, neither can I. I’m just suggesting that there are bigger fish to fry in the world than bemoaning not getting gold medals on tutorials in a computer game. That is all :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I have been into train sims for several years - in TS20XX - never understood the Experience points, levels or career scenarios because they re-I forced sli=opt driving habits. In TSW (series) I have sort of the same feelings - but that being said - I do the collectibles mostly because it gets me to walk around the route to discover net little gems that have been included - Probably have only completed one route to have all the collectibles - but I do enjoy the exploration and once I have seen the route - I rarely go back to finish the collections.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Maxboy444

Maxboy444 Member

yeah I get it xd

• Like Like x 1
  16. hightower

hightower Guest

The beauty of it is that if you treat it like a sim and drive the trains correctly then you will inevitably get a gold medal for everything. It’s kinda QED. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Maxboy444

Maxboy444 Member

agree

• Like Like x 1
  18. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Thanks to the comment from Jannerdunk above, I tried driving backwards into the sheds on the class 43 tutorial. Had to go back and forth twice to give me enough "under the speed limit" points, but it got me the gold medal at the end of it!
    Don't forget to set the route to the sheds first and there is a 5mph limit in that area, so it takes a while...

• Helpful Helpful x 1