Tsw2 Mods Not Working?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by fakenham, Nov 13, 2020.

1. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Most probably my fault, but I can't seem to get the poster and FGW mods for GWE to show up in TSW2. I've cut and pasted the paks into the DLC folder (the same folder that has the paks for the actual routes i.e trainsimworld2/windowsnoeditor/tsw2prototype/content/DLC). Is this correct?
    Thanks.

2. hightower

hightower Guest

That is correct so something is awry somewhere.

Daft question, but you did unzip them first right?

3. fakenham

Thanks for your help, yes, I've used 7zip to extract to the folder - I've checked in the DLC folder and they have the .pak extension.

Yes, very weird, I bet I've done something wrong! Maybe I have a different DLC folder that TSW2 is using somehow?
    The fies unzipped are GWEFGW.pak and TS2Prototype-GWE_Posters2.pak sizes 7898 and 685kb.

4. hightower

hightower Guest

Try deleting the .paks (the mods) from the DLC folder then extract the downloads to the desktop. Once you’ve done that copy them into the DLC folder again.

Explore Paddington on foot and have a look at the posters. What are you seeing?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2020
  5. fakenham

No joy I'm afraid, seeing original posters. The FGW mod is still not working either. Very strange! Possibly something is up with my installation of TSW2. How do these paks work? - I'm a complete noob to TSW modding!

6. hightower

hightower Guest

They’re very simple drag and drop, that’s the beauty of them.

Do you have TSW2020?

7. fakenham

I do, but I've just uninstalled it because I thought it may be clashing somewhere!

I've also tried using the mod manager, but still no joy.

I have transfered TSW2 to an external SSD recently (using the steam tool), so I'm wondering if there's been a screw up with another DLC directory lurking elsewhere which TSW2 is using?

8. hightower

hightower Guest

I suspect you’re right. You should drop them in that folder and they just work.

Have a look in the common folder under steam apps. Is there a TSW2 directory there? If so (and you click through) is there a DLC folder?

It’s something like

programfiles(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/train sim world 2/ etc

9. fakenham

A real puzzler this one! Still no joy. I've noticed my DLC dir contains all my preserved content which makes sense. I'm just wondering if there's an order of loading, in that if the mods are loaded first and the route is loaded second, the mods will be overwritten by the original route? A bit like the xplane 11 loading structure if you're familar with that.

I've have noticed some TSW2 files under my Users/appdata and docs folders in my original windows drive. But there are no DLC folders there. I wonder if there's an issue there that's causing this.

Anyway, thanks v much for your help. I may just reinstall TSW2 at some point and see if that makes a difference.

10. hightower

hightower Guest

That all sounds as it should (including what’s in your Documents folder) but clearly something is wrong somewhere. I’m not certain as to the loading order but I can say 100% that as long as the .pak’s are in the DLC folder they should work.

When you transferred it to the other drive, did you just simply move the game (i.e. drag and drop)? I think with Steam your whole library has to be in one place and you need to set it up on an external drive through the Steam Client itself. I’d bet that’s what the problem is.

11. fakenham

A bit embarassed here but I've got it working! For some reason I never decided to restart my PC - the restart solved it, all apearing now!

Your mods look excellent by the way, many thanks for them and your help. Looking forward to more updates for this excellent route.

By the way, how easy would it be to reskin the speed signs to a more BR font? - it's one thing that irks me a bit, weird I know. They've got some nicer looking speed signs on the Bakerloo route. I've experience with reskinning / blender for TS but not for TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hightower

hightower Guest

You’re welcome! Glad you’ve got it working. If it’s simple retexturing then it’s actually quite straightforward. Is that what you had in mind?

I should add, that is literally all you can do with TSW. Retexture and reskin.

13. fakenham

Yes, just retexturing the numbers on the speed signs to a BR style font. Is there a tutorial available? If so, I may give it a go.

14. hightower

hightower Guest

Here’s your starter for 10

Any questions just ask. Note that when you get QuickBMS you need to use the Unreal Tournament 4 script that’s available on the download site as the old script doesn’t work with TSW2.

15. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Love that FGW mod.
    The mixed liveries give a real sense of change when allied with the partial electrification.