Caledonian Sleeper: Crewe - Preston

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BlackTabby, Nov 13, 2020.

1. BlackTabby

BlackTabby Active Member

This route would go along the West Coast Main Line from Crewe to Preston, a distance of 51.1 miles, and would include the Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 consist pulled by a BR Class 92 Locomotive in Caledonian Sleeper livery. The train has four accommodations, which are Comfort Seats, Classic Room, Club Room, and Caledonian Double. Sleeper coach features would allow you to sit on beds instead of seats [in cabins] (including the upper bunk), entry to en-suite toilets, and the ability to to raise and lower the upper bunk. Also, since the new Mk5 coaches use keycard room entry, there would be a keycard kept in the driver's cab that you would need to keep with you to enter sleeper cabins. Images of the train is provided below.

A Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 consist with a Class 92 locomotive Image Source: Revolution Trains
    [​IMG]

Mk5 sleeper coach layout Image Source: Seat 61
    1-6: Club Rooms, 7-10: Classic Rooms
    [​IMG]

Mk5 accessible sleeper coach layout Image Source: Seat 61
    1: Accessible Double, 2 & 3: Classic, 4 & 5: Double, 6: Accessible Classic.
    [​IMG]

Club Room setup for one Image Source: Seat 61
    [​IMG]

Club Room setup for two Image Source: Seat 61
    [​IMG]

Caledonian Double room Image Source: Seat 61
    [​IMG]

Accessible Caledonian Double Image Source: Seat 61
    [​IMG]

Accessible Classic Room Image Source: Seat 61[​IMG]

Club Car Image Source: Seat 61
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

I'd love to see the Caledonian Sleeper in the game, however I can't agree with this choice of route at all, when the train travels such stunning routes as Edinburgh-Aberdeen, Stirling-Inverness and the West Highland Line it would be a shame not to use those routes instead. Even the Northern stretches of the WCML are a lot more interesting than Crewe to Preston!

• Like Like x 2
  3. BlackTabby

BlackTabby Active Member

I would prefer an electrified section of the route. How about Carstairs to Edinburgh Waverley?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

That's a nice route, but I think Carlisle-Carstairs would be better :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. BlackTabby

BlackTabby Active Member

Ok. It would be called:
    Caledonian Sleeper: Carlisle - Carstairs with BR Class 92 and British Rail Mk5

• Like Like x 1
  6. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

I actually think Preston to Carlisle. Although maybe a little too long. Then you can zoom towards Lancaster, then climb up past Oxenholme, over Shap and into Penrith, before the sprint upto Carlisle.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

I'd take either; those are the two best parts in my opinion!

• Like Like x 2
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

[
    Well Lancaster to Carlisle would retain the most interesting section and cut out 20 miles or so of relatively flat running from Preston.

Though my personal preference would be the late 70's when the Mark One sleepers were still in operation - you could have 86's or 87's even the remaining roarers working trains. Daytime trains were largely Mark 3 consists by then, though Mark Ones and Mark Twos (both pressure ventilated and aircon) were still fairly common.

This route would also offer loads of scope for freight operations, too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

wait, you are saying JUST the Cali Sleeper, that might be 3 services or so, for the WCML we need atleast a 390, 70/66 and (insert other loco here) AND the 92 and MK5s

• Like Like x 2
  10. BlackTabby

BlackTabby Active Member

As an American who has never ridden the Caledonian Sleeper, I don't care what the route is. I am happy as long as it includes the Class 92 locomotive and Mk5 coaches. The route that the train runs on is up to you

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  11. maz_62

maz_62 Active Member

I’m voting for the Crewe to Preston leg to be included just so I can see if my house in Leyland makes it into the game lol

12. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

I just had a great thought, although nothing to do with modern times.

How about having a scenario where you could be at Preston, Train comes in from Manchester, you have to then swap the locos over from diesel to electric, and then vice versa. If you don't be quick enough you end up with a late train.

I wouldn't mind Wigan North Western to Carlisle. You can add some nice 304s there too.