Why Do Developers Add Features That Restrict Use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 749006, Nov 15, 2020.

1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

A number of DLC I have purchased has either been returned or I don't use as much because of the "Features" the Developer has included without anyway for the user to change.

[1] Light Flares - some trains need to have Light Flares ticked in the Settings to make the lights on the front show. But this can have an effect on the FPS and sometime makes other stock look strange.
    Why can they not make it optional? Switch it on if you want or off if you don't

[2] DVD (Drivers Vigilance Device) - some trains like the Class 360 on GEML and the Class 465 on the South Eastern routes have the vigilance and some people have difficulty in hearing the sound.
    Why can they not make it optional? - Switch it on if you want or off if you don't

[3] Features - The AP Class 205 has a feature that applies virtual bugs on the windscreen - might be realistic but you should be able to switch it off.
    The DB BR 407 has PZB and LZB but you can not use the LZB if you don't switch on the PZB first - even thought the PZB stops working when the LZB starts

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

As does the AP 37. Can you switch that off in real life? Just wipe the screen.

Mine doesn't... just driven it... no DVD. Most trains I have with DVD use CTRL+Enter to switch on a visual warning. What trains have DVD by default and no means to switch it off? Never come across one yet.. then again I don't own every train.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I just did a quick drive without moving by putting the unit in to FWD and just sitting there - 60 seconds later it goes off.
    If I had set off and then moved the controller it resets the countdown - like a real train.

The JT 153 is another train with a Vigilance

4. Texasrangers UK

Texasrangers UK Member

You can turn it off. There is a switch behind you, to the left if I remember correctly.

5. Pookeyhead

Ahhh.. sorry, just assumed you meant DSD for some reason.. just speed reading. You sure it can't be turned off?

Can it be turned off on the 153?

6. Pookeyhead

Doesn't seem to be, and nothing mentioned in the manual.

7. Texasrangers UK

Texasrangers UK Member

There is no mention in the manual but it does work, See the picture.

Attached Files:

8. Pookeyhead

Why the hell is that not in the manual? LOL

9. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Why do developers add features that restrict use?

Because they haven't embraced diversity and don't realise that there are many different ways of seeing the world other than their own. So they add a feature and because they like it they think everybody else must like it. When we don't.

Developers learn from this . . .

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pookeyhead

I'm still not sure why having flies splat onto the windscreen restricts use though.

11. IronBladder

Because it is so annoying it makes the Class 37 undrivable.

In fact it's so annoying that I cannot bear to have it in my life so I've deleted the software off my drive, smashed up my PC and burnt my house down, to ensure I never have to experience it again.

I'm typing this on my phone while I wonder where I'm going to live now.

Not everything I've said is true.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Pookeyhead

I think some people just like to moan about things. I wonder if Peter stops his car at the side of the motorway in summer because the flies have rendered his car "restricted".

13. IronBladder

I think the flies on windscreen isn't really the main point Peter is making. Adding non core features that effect gameplay in unwanted ways is irritating, and well designed products would have switches to turn them off. But not all DLC is well designed.

That's what the 2hr play window refund from Steam is for. I use it to test DLC before I accept it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You seem to have the idea that I am not entitled to an opinion and you find a way of having a go at me about anything I post

Why is this Pookeyhead ?

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I had the Sky Hook Games OBB 1144 and OBB 1142 - both use light flares and so I got refunds off both
    Screenshot_Koeblitzer Mountain Route v.3 reloaded_49.75645-6.65197_12-02-03.jpg
    On the left the SHG 1144 - on the right the RWA version - both locos have the headlights on

16. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

I quite like the fly debris although not properly authentic... In work driving a bus in the height of summer and after 1000 flies being baked onto the windscreen all day one goes to clear the screen 1 of 2 things happens...

1. The screenwash congeals all the flies and the ensuing sweeping of the wipers makes an unholy mess that you can't then see through making you wish you hadn't bothered...

OR

2. The screenwash doesn't work or has run out...!!!

Eric

17. ntypeman

I forgot to add that I also quite like the "functioning" (but only aesthetic) screen wash feature on the juniper (460?) unit...

Eric

18. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

I'll let you into a little British Rail secret. the Class 47/4 I drove had several functions that don't appear in the Train Simulator version.
    Change weather.
    Delete windscreen debris without using wipers.
    Engine volume control.
    Clag Factor switch.
    Close all slam doors in one go (only 47s with Electric train heating had that one)
    Pause World

Actually I think the last one is standard in Train Simulator too.

Realism v Simulation huh? It's a complex world.

19. Pookeyhead

No I wondered how flies hitting the windscreen is a problem. It just seems a weird thing to list when there are clearly others that you do list that are actually relevant, like the light flares for instance. That's perfectly valid. The fly thing though? If after 10 minutes you couldn't see where you are going I'd agree, but after an hour in the 37 there are about 4 flies on the screen, and a quick wipe removes them. I think it's a nice touch... adds a bit of realism. You said things that restrict use... It doesn't.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

If you don't want them, I can see how that would be a minor annoyance that builds up over time.

21. dunkrez

Your post yesterday was really helpful Peter - I didn't fix the problem the way I thought it needed to be fixed, instead I looked at the problem I was having another way based on the bits you explained. The tamper can now be driven! :)

Onto fine detailing. And no flies on the windscreen, no headlight flares and no non configurable audible alerts.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I believe Peter doesn't like the in-cab reflections in the cab glass either, I'm sure he said he edited the glass textures to remove them, I however quite like it, horses for courses is all.

I'm a features junkie I'm afraid, the more the better, in fact that bug on the windscreen thing has piqued my interest not put me off lol, but I agree with Peter the extra features should be off and on-able where possible to cater for all tastes.

My G27 steering wheel pedals are working great for my DVD reset, hate driving any train now that hasn't got DSD/DVD.

Edit: Typo fix.
    I looked at "peddles" half a dozen times not quite figuring out why it looked wrong, old age eh.

23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I have no objection to extra features that come with some of the add-ons but I wish the developers gave us the choice to use or not use the feature.

Spent ages looking at the Woodhead BR Blue Class 76 locos to try and make the lights appear without the Light Flares effect

Peter

24. dunkrez

Should be possible, assuming they are child objects and not baked into the main model?

25. Pookeyhead

It would be a worthwhile mod if anyone can do it.

26. ntypeman

What about the windows steaming up in the MLV... is that a thumbs up or thumbs down???

Eric

27. IronBladder

What is an MLV?

28. Pookeyhead

It depends if they did so in real life. If not, then pointless... if so, then realism. Fine by me.

29. Pookeyhead

30. ntypeman

Its the Motor Luggage Van or Class 419...

If anyone's interested it's currently on sale at the moment for the knock down price of £4.19 which is 65% off its normal price of £11.99...!!!

Eric

31. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

Headlight flares. For an object that uses them as part of your loco they can use totally different shaders to the normal headlights that appear. I don't doubt there is a way of making headlights appear on both versions of the options but that's extra effort that perhaps the developers don't want to take.... Maybe because a) having to make the changes and b) having to ensure testing is done under two different graphical conditions, so taking more time again.

32. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

For a loco with light flares
    Option 1 - enable light flares in settings. Which can cause problems
    Option 2 - drive the train without any headlights :(

33. ntypeman

I know I'm gonna sound really stupid but could someone please explain to me what light flares are???

Eric

34. Pookeyhead

They replicate the real thing... when bright lights shine into a camera lens and create internal reflections... they look like a series of circles.

[​IMG]

In TS, it is an effect you can turn on or off, but some designers of locos insist this effect be turned on in order to see lights working. It looks pants, and is a frame rate hit, hence the controversy.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  35. ntypeman

I see... Thanks Pookyhead for the explanation...

Eric

36. Pookeyhead

You're welcome.

37. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

My biggest gripe is the payware route builders (looking at you, Thomson/Rivet) who "lock" their assets so if you're referencing in your own route, once placed you can't reselect or manipulate them. Yes you can go into RW Tools and change the relevant entry in the bin file but then most recent routes have the assets packed in .ap files, so you can't get at them without a lot of faff again with RW Tools.

I never understood why the developers did that - they should be quite pleased with the fact their work is regarded well enough to find a home in a community project not to mention it may bring them a few more sales as people who don't own the original route buy it so they can run the freeware.

• Like Like x 2
  38. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

This is the effect of light flares on some locos
    Screenshot_Munich to Augsburg_48.20314-11.35809_10-41-20.jpg

39. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Peter, i don’t understand the critique of the pzb first then lzb. That’s how it is in real life. When you reach lzb end, the train has to have a sequrity system to go back to, and that’s pzb. I know you are not fond of pzb, so maybe just drive without sequrity systems, most trains in tsc will let you do that.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Spikee1975

Spikee1975 Well-Known Member

It's all the decision of the individual developer.

Why doesn't every loco come with seamlessly dimmable headlights to compensate for TSC's non-HDR lighting that should have headlight beams be invisible in daylight. Only Maik Goltz did this (various vR locos), even letting you adjust seat height. Searchlight provide a toggable light cone.

So while the initial question is fair, there's just no one who can answer this as it's not directed to someone. It's each dev deciding what to do, based on project cost, estimated revenue and of course - skill.

Run8 for example has all locos' features and operation consistent, because it's done by a small team of developers, setting their standards and following them. In TSC, there is no standard as it's an open platform.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  41. dunkrez

All things GST have invisible beams in daylight... and a billion other tiny details scripted in.

It is the choice of the dev, absolutely. There's more I'd like to cram in (aside from faux real-time ray-traced reflections... not sure I've seen anyone else do this, so I believe it's a first for the old sim) - let's see what the next few years bring.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

In my opinion light flares look much better (when implemented correctly) They are a lot easier to implement and script than nodes in the geometry. I use it all the time on my rolling stock (even on signals) and if you turn it off in settings you won't have any lights. If the light flares has an impact on FPS, then you should check if shadows are enabled in the flare blueprint.
    Its the lens flare that doesn't look good, but this can be removed by editing the flare blueprint.

If you need some help editing flare blueprints just let me know.

43. Oystein

This is the lens flare part of the light flare. And it doesn't look good no matter how much you adjust the values or changes the textures since it is more or less static in TSC.
    I haven't noticed any hit on the framerate with light flares, only if shadows are enabled.

44. Pookeyhead

I know... that's what I said. Whether you think it looks good is a matter of personal opinion.

45. dunkrez

I literally stopped including lens flares after the tamper, after reading Peter's thoughts on them :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  46. Oystein

I understand. I guess lens flare is a part of light flare irl. My head is just twisted around how it works in TSC :)

So the lens flare effect from the image you posted will only be visible if the devs have added them in the lens flare component.

Anyway, you can use the same texture in light flare bp as in a light texture for a mesh plane in the geometry. The benefit you get with light flare is that it fades, visible at long distance and can be scripted.

47. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The critique was having to use PZB before I can use have LZB.
    Having used UK AWS Systems for almost 30 years as train crew my brain cannot decide if a PZB marker needs to be cancelled and when I have to push and release the button.

I loco I like to drive is the vR BR120 which has an almost AWS style of warnings - its make a sound that you acknowledge.
    Same with the ZUB system on the Swiss locos in the game where you have a warning that you cancel.
    One of my favourite locos is the HRQ Taurus - I don't have to switch on the PZB but LZB starts when passing a marker.

Each to there own.

48. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Just a bit of general info on Zub: Zub is not as simple in real life as in TSC. A bit simpler than pzb, but not much.