What’s Your Favorite Route?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nberneck99, Nov 12, 2020.

1. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

I need opinions on what to get for the steam sale. I’m torn between the br 155 and west Somerset.

Let me know what your favorites are!

2. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

BR 155, because i huge fan of electricity and electric locomotives)) (old and modern both)

• Like Like x 1
  3. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

My favorite route is Rhein-Ruhr-Osten for several reasons:
    1. I live very close to Wuppertal and have a good friend who lives in Oberbarmen, I visited him so often by train that I know the route from Wuppertal Steinbeck (where it begins ingame) to Oberbarmen by heart and it is so well represented. Just to have the huge "Bauhaus" building at Oberbarmen makes me so happy.
    Plus the Schwebebahn is such a cool vista on the route, even though the wagons look a bit weird.
    Also I studied at Paderborn and when visiting home, I took the RE7 line which also runs a couple of stations on Rhein Ruhr Osten. The whole route is a big part of my life just because I have used it quite often.

2. It has a nice length imo because a run with either S-Bahn, Dosto or Freight does not take too long.
    3. You get very cool container wagons with containers from Hapag-lloyd and Hamburg Süd, whic hare actual companies and not makeshift ones.
    4. The black MRCE BR 185.5 is a very nice optic switch from the usual red trains.
    5. BR 422 (S-Bahn train) has spot on sounds as I remember them from real life and is very fun to drive.
    6. As with most german content, you will see (use) more trains around if you own other german content.

But from your two choices I would say get BR 155. It is very unique to drive compared to other german locos and can be used via timetable almost everywhere. Just make sure you have the Ruhr-Sieg Nord DLC or you cannot use it. West Somerset is absolutely beautifully looking and even me, not knowing any of the british trains first hand, love all the trains that come with it or the DLCs for it. Unfortunately I can't bear the constant 25 mph limitation. I know it is like that in real life but it makes a complete route run ever so long... I started to do my own custom heritage scenarios on other british routes in order to drive these locos.
    That being said, if you want to relax while palying TSW, West Somerset is perfect for that.

• Like Like x 5
  4. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

*I réalise I should mention that I own all the German routes and DLC except HHR And HMA and the 155

5. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

I suggest the 155 as it adds stuff to rurh-siege north, which has also the 363 as the new addon.

6. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

West Somerset is scenically beautiful, a bit short similar to the Isle of Wight route, judging by photographs as I do not own it.

The class 47 and the shunter are superb.

Mike

7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Of the routes I own, Northern Trans Pennine is by far the best. A reasonable length run and classic traction, with the added bonus of the Class 40 when it hopefully transitions through its preservation process.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

The Br 155 is hands down my favourite loco to drive in TSW. It handles beautifully and just oozes that charm of old electric locos. Besides that it adds heavy coal trains to RSN that are really fun to drive (at least if you like heavy freight trains) and is useable on most German routes.
    So I‘d recommend getting the Br 155:)

• Like Like x 4
  9. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

+1 for NTP looks great with H.F. and my BR blue class 20. It could do with a class 25, guards van/ added freight and another DMU. Great with the All UK mod on.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I cannot decide. If you like freight and if have a number of German routes, go for the BR155 else WSR is very good choice, but then buy the class 33 as well!.

11. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I can't really list a route for TSW2 as I prefer to drive UK stuff and there's currently only 20 miles of track and 1 locomotive. From TSW I think NTP and the Teesvalley line are great

• Like Like x 2
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The 155 is a must for the German routes. It’s just so good. Best purchase I ever made in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

All UK routes from TSW2020 are now available in TSW2 including NTP & Teesvalley.

14. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Difficult choice. Both DLS are required to purchase. My first experience at TSW was in Somerset and I loved it. The route is beautiful, class 47 is excellent.

15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I like the WSR, it is well made and pretty, and I love travelling on preserved railways in real life but for me in the simulator it isn't so fun. Sometimes it is nice if you want a relaxing potter along in a diesel. It does of course lack steam which is/was the real lines raison-d'etre, it will forever feel to me like it is missing something. Of all the UK routes it is the one I would probably not purchase if I could start again but that is just my view, I assumed when it came out that a Manor or Raveningham Hall wouldn't be far behind.

My two favourites are NTP and TVL as the 80's is my favourite period. I would say TVL with the 31 and 20 as extra's, is my favourite route as it feels complete, even if 3 car class 101's are not really correct for the period in the frequency they are represented. The 101 which is one of my favourite trains is fun to drive and there are some good freight and shunting services. A Provincial blue class 143 would finish the route off nicely (and maybe an extension to Bishops Auckland).

• Like Like x 2
  16. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

They have said no extensions planned but Class 143 class 03 and TVL extension to Bishop Aukland Including Locomotion would be fab. IDK if the museum was there at the time of TVL time setting though?

• Like Like x 1
  17. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

WSR is a bit too much like SPG.
    Great scenery but mind numbingly slow. One I rarely play now.
    I’d second RRO as a fun route to drive despite some curious elevation changes.
    Not far behind is GWR especially if you have lmr’s mod pack giving you mixed liveries.

• Like Like x 1
  18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

RSN + BR 155 \o/

• Like Like x 4
  19. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

The DB BR 155 is an incredible locomotive to drive, but unfortunately the cab sounds are broken (very very quiet) in its current Preserved Collection state. I love it but I do not know if I can recommend it at this time. Without the creaking and hum of the electric motors it loses much of its charm.

20. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think Shildon opened in the early 2000's, I think Tony Blair opened it. I don't know if there was anything on the site before that.

• Like Like x 1
  21. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

RSN has become much more appreciated after the extension that came with the the BR363.

22. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Oof, difficult one. I think it's either WSR or TVL. The older locos and the cute little stations along the line do make for a relaxing drive, especially if you just decide to ignore that the clock.

23. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

NTP only UK route of a decent length.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

Northern Transpennine; classic traction, plenty of stations to stop at, reasonably high speed limits, realistic express, local passenger, freight and shunting operations. It's got the right Northern post-industrial Pennine grime feel to it too. The scenery is good and interesting with plenty of gradients. There's a good amount of locomotives and rolling stock for it too.

Great Western Express is my second favourite- I like the modern day routes, the GWR livery and the HST too :)

• Like Like x 2
  25. subwayvaughn

subwayvaughn Active Member

I agree with you on TVL and NTP. That’s all I’ve been playing over the last two weeks with custom scenarios and time tables. It’s still very hard for me to say which one would be a “favorite” but if I had to choose with an absolute I would say NTP because the route offers more dimensions with its hillside steep grades, banking, and long dark creepy tunnels. It’s still a hard toss between the two. Nevertheless both the TVL and NTP are must haves IMO.

• Like Like x 1