Jr West Nara Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Articuno, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

Here's a suggestion for a route outside North America/Europe (the usual GER-UK-USA). The Nara line is 35km and runs from Kyoto to Nara in Japan. As with many of the non shinkansen lines in Japan it is narrow gauge and there are some single track sections (though all stations have multiple platforms so trains can pass at any station). There are 3-4 trains an hour with 2 local trains stopping at all stations and 2 Miyakoji rapid trains an hour which only stop at the busier stations, so this would be a fairly busy route.

Route Map:
    [​IMG]

The line features 3 different types of rolling stock that run regularly on it. The 103 and the 205 operate the local stopping services:
    [​IMG]

And the 221 operates the rapid services which operate on the line (here is a picture of it going over the Kizu river bridge on the nara line):
    upload_2020-11-11_9-29-9.png
    221 on the left:
    [​IMG]

The northern terminus, Kyoto station is a major hub for travel in the Kyoto area, with transfers for many other railway lines, as well as the Tokaido Shinkansen:
    [​IMG]

Nara Station:
    [​IMG]

The line also stops at Inari station, very close to the Fushimi Inari shrine:
    [​IMG]

In Japan vending machines are everywhere, so this would be a good idea for a collectible in a Japanese route:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  2. elvescast

elvescast Active Member

I really love this idea, a Japanese route would be great

Also I would like to say that you have laid the suggestion out well with the pictures, map and ideas.

Thanks for suggesting and I hope dovetail see and it gets some cogs running for Asia routes, this is great place to start

• Like Like x 1
  3. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Probably wont happen due to the JR Licensing issue, unless Union Workshop develops it.

5. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

Yeah any route with a 103 would be great. I had fun in 2011 looking for them on the Osaka Loop Line.

6. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread, but just found it and I like the idea! I'm really hoping TSW opens up to Japan in the future, and if it does, this would be a great route to drive on. A bit similar to the Wakayama Line which we had in Train Simulator as well, except more urban, which I really like the feel of.

Length and content wise it's also perfect for TSW. Though I wonder if Union Workshop could do it, they're quite a small team. I wonder if DTG themselves are ever planning to leave the USA-UK-Germany triangle and try doing something like this.

7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Just curious, what JR licencing issue? It hasn't stopped routes for TS20xx coming out.

8. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

JR's ownership is complicated - It's 9 separate companies flying in close formation. 4 regions are Private and the remainder is state owned. The trademark is shared between them. Taito have managed to get approval for Densha de Go, but they have the advantage of being Japanese and knowing how things work out there. The Union workshop stuff to date has been debranded or uses "UR" which pops up in Anime for things involving trains that JR wouldn't approve of.

nekotrain.PNG

Of course the other option would be to try and cut a deal with the private railway groups like Keisei, Odakyu, Keikyu, Tobu, Tokyu, Seibu etc

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yeah. Considering DTG has stated several times that they don't want to release unbranded stuff for TSW, our chances are slim, unless they get a JR licence. But if by any chance, Union Workshop's E5 Shinkansen project ends up being a TSW release, that would mean they got a JR licence and we would have better chances for more japanese routes. Would be a dream come true.