Stop Gap Steam Engine

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SHINO BAZ, Nov 16, 2020.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

All right i already know this idea ridiculous but hey if you know me,are really surprised i would suggest this.create a fo steam locomotive,your know scratching your head saying whats he babbling about now,i figure while dtg is still figuring out the art of steam locomotive operations for tsw2,why not create a fo steam locomotive,now what does he mean,in todays world it's not uncommon to see a diesel locomotive backup a steam locomotive in case of breakdown,but in this case use the diesel as your driving cab and your non functioning steam locomotive as your lead,i know it sound crazy a waste of time but i like to think outside the box to solve a problem at least until dtg get the real steam locomotive control issuses ironed out.I figure at least i'm trying to think of something,until something can offical be done.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

As I’ve said in other threads I don’t think the controls issue is the main problem holding back steam trains. It’s the particle effects and motion blur on the driving wheels (very prominent on a steam engine). I also don’t think they would be popular enough for the devs to be given a great deal of time to spend working on them, because they probably won’t recoup the investment in sales numbers, although I could be completely wrong about that. How many youngsters these days are going to choose a steam train for WSR over a modern train that does 300 km/h to play on their xbox with their birthday money? Not many. So I think it’s probably of lower priority than multiplayer in terms of what will drive sales.

Your idea maybe isn’t as crazy as you think it is but there are these other obstacles in the way, not just the controls.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SHINO BAZ

If a steam engine comes next week next month or next year or god forbid never,doesn't bother me,but it does bothers others and instead of just poo poo them,i throught i throw out something as atleast a possible idea,is it a good idea not really but atleast i care enough to try a suggest something,but there is one other thing i just thought of rail museums offen move non functional locomotives with other locomotives and may also move them from one place to another by rail so the idea of a diesel being used to move a steam engine isn't just a fantasy idea.

As for anybody wanting a steam engine i would say there clearly a very vocal group here that want one someday.I feel if the iow steamrailway ever comes out it sell better with atleast one steam engine and WS is mainly a steam line as well and a steam engine add on would most likely sell as well.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Would love to see this as a stop gap. I can turn off motion blur, so that’s not a problem. And I’d rather have so-so partial effects and motion blur issues just to enjoy the new challenge of driving steam.
    I’m quietly waiting for steam to make an appearance (meanwhile enjoying the variety we’ve already been given I must say).
    Seeing my kids (5-14) at a recent steam gala, I don’t think steam would be any less popular than modern forms of traction.

5. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Aah... Right... Yes... Faux.

Got halfway through the post thinking, "what's he telling them to do?" before the penny dropped.

6. SHINO BAZ

He's a little something you all can look up on youtube to prove to you this has been done in the real world.
    Look up the strasburg railroad in Pennsylvania(USA),each year they have a day out with thomas the tank engine,well they have a costum built thomas 060 steam loco(that works)but they also have a percy 040 steam loco(dummy loco),looks like a steam loco but needs a diesel to push it because it has no steam engine inside it body.So if you can do it for real why can't it be done here.

7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

At the centenary of the Stockton and Darlington Railway Locomotion, the company's first locomotive, ran with wagons and a coach reproducing the train she hauled on the opening day in 1825. However, probably wisely, she wasn't in steam- instead a petrol engine was fitted in the tender and rags were burned in the chimney to make smoke.