Pennsylvania Railroad Sandusky Line - 1950s

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Buynot, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

The Pennsylvania Railroad's Sandusky Line is a 111.4 mile route that runs from Sandusky,Ohio south to Columbus. The line was mainly a freight line, with the PRR's large 2-10-4 Texas type locomotives heading up many of the trains on the line, as well as a variety of 2-8-2, and 2-8-0 freight locomotives plus the occasional K4. At one point during the tail end of the steam era, the PRR leased several Texas types from the Santa Fe as motive power as a result of a shortage of motive power. Along the way the line crosses over the C&O, B&O, NYC, and even shares trackage rights with the NKP at Sandusky (I may be wrong on that last bit). In later years, after the end of steam, the Baldwin Sharknoses, GP9's, F Units, and various other diesels would head up trains on the Sandusky line. I think this route would be a nice addition to Train Simulator as it could make for a nice change of pace from all the branch lines, mountain passes, and passenger routes and let's the player open their locomotive up with some high speed freight runs on relatively flat land. What are your guys' thoughts? Is this a good idea or does it sound too boring?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Now that would be great idea! A J1 would be awesome too, and would fit the Horseshoe Curve route as well.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

What about PRR's M1a/b Mountains?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Those would make for some great additions too!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

That's an awesome idea! There's no way DTG will build all 111 miles, so maybe 50 or 60 miles would be more realistic for them. But still, I absolutely love to push steam engines really hard and get them to high speeds. I would also love to run heavy freight trains with a 2-10-4!

• Like Like x 2
  6. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

A Texas type on the kinda heavy freight service the type was made for? Who in their right mind WOULDN'T wanna run a scenario based around that? And speaking of route length, DTG , if they do wind up making this, they could just split the route in half, and someone, prolly atomicdanny the mad lad, could come along and merge the two, so one could get the full experience.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  7. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Also, PRR had their Q2 Duplexes. These would look great in freight services.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

Yes, please! We could use more PRR routes rather than just the same old HSC! Perfect for the ALCO FA from DTM, the Baldwin DR6-4-2000 from DTM, the Baldwin RF-16 from DTM, and all the other PRR content you can think of!

• Like Like x 1
  9. steammaster4449

Even the GG1's? ;)

10. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

Well, the GG1's are electric locomotives. I don't think the Sandusky Line was electrified.

11. steammaster4449

I know. I was just picking at ya. You said
    so I decided to take that statement as literally as possible, but in a humorous manner.

12. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

Anything PRR is good in TS because there is not enough PRR in TS 2021!

• Like Like x 2