Menu Option To Permanently Override “classic” Controls

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by heyitspopcorn, Nov 11, 2020.

1. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I think the title is self-explanatory. When using a controller with immersion mode (which is such a better layout), it’s rather silly to have to “trick” the game by selecting the classic controller layout through the main menu, then changing it back to immersion once you’ve entered the game. (Especially considering that it resets to classic if you restart the scenario.)

If you have immersion mode selected and choose a preserved collection scenario, the game forces you into the classic layout, giving you the pop-up warning, and locks you into classic mode until you get back to the menu.

Hence, the suggestion for a menu option that will force the game to use immersion mode in everything but tutorials. It’s not user friendly to people who have been playing a while, and it’s certainly not user-friendly to make new users (who may have started on TSW2 and bought preserved content later) switch to and learn an unfamiliar, entirely different, and comparatively unintuitive controller scheme.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

I don’t know why, but they seem to have no interest in changing that. But if you know about the glitch to make immersion controls work, I’d keep quiet about it. If they see a lot of people are able to do this, they might “fix” it, despite us not wanting them to. I don’t know why but development teams like to fix glitches that people actually enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. heyitspopcorn

I think they already know about it, as I believe it was in one of the first preserved collection streams that they mentioned that you could change to immersion controls in everything except tutorials, because of prompts telling you to press/hold certain buttons or directions on the D-Pad to bring up menu items/set headlights/open doors (etc.).

4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I personally prefer the classic controls. I wish there was a way when you do a scenario on a route to turn off the immersion feature because if your used to the classic controls like me, you end up pressing the wrong buttons time and time again. To me the immersion controls are a load of garbage

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeremydunn8

I myself got the game after immersion controls were already out, so they’re what I got used to. You have a fair point though, which is why classic controls are still an option. The reason it forces you to change is because occasionally there’s things programmed in scenarios which only support one control scheme. I think it should be replaced with a recommendation and option to change instead of forcing you to switch unless you do the glitch.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tallboy7648

I agree

7. TrainSim-Adam

TrainSim-Adam Staff Member

Switching over to the Immersion Control layout on older DLC is complicated. In some places, the translations and voice recordings mention specific controls that must be used, and that makes changing them very difficult if not impossible. We took the decision that if any gameplay directs to the Classic Control layout, all gameplay for that DLC should be set to the same layout for consistency purposes. Timetable services are treated differently because there are no onscreen instructions that ever mention controls.

8. jeremydunn8

Are there any plans of “fixing” the glitch that makes immersion controls work? I’d prefer you not do that, giving experienced players an opportunity to choose, but giving beginners a more consistent gameplay.

9. heyitspopcorn

Would it not be possible to add a pop-up warning users that their chosen controller set-up may not match exactly with instructions given in the scenario/tutorial, in the same way that there's currently a pop-up that tells the user it's going to switch (temporarily) to the Classic control scheme? (And I'll just go ahead and preempt the "that would be a UI/UX problem, and we currently have insufficient UI/UX artists" response ;))

I'm not trying to grill you on it, I'm just curious if there are any technical limitations that would prevent giving users the option instead of forcing them into using a particular controller scheme.

And if there is no other way, then might there be some capacity, at least, to hold the Immersion setting over when using the restart/last checkpoint option? It's a bit annoying if you SPAD or encounter some issue, to have to go back to the main menu to do the 'glitch' again.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jeremydunn8

I’d like to know why it’s insanely difficult for them to make basic UI. It seems like that would be rather easy, and I’ve never heard other developers having this much trouble with it. But I have no experience in game development, so I might be wrong.

11. tallboy7648

I dońt think though that we should be forced to do a control scheme in scenarios that we may not be used too so I wish dtg would just take that feature out espicially on console with a controller. Itś an uncessary feature that shouldn´t have been in the game

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020