West Coast Main Line South Improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DTG Protagonist, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

If that's the case with Sam then "poor Colonel" is hardly poor just ill prepared to do what he does, why? Serious content creators should never expect one PC to do all the work and should have a separate streaming PC, capturing video doesn't require an uber powerful graphics card or CPU for that matter, a mid range PC would more than adequately run OBS (or whatever else is favoured by that particular content creator) + chat + Twitch/Youtube/FB (if it's live streamed), all it needs is a decent capture card a decent ethernet speed whether in-built or a separate card, tidy amount of memory and obviously large storage especially if you're the play now edit and upload later type.

Play it on your uber triple SLI'd TiTan 3090 Ti super over clocked i9 999000k rainbow LED riddled super gamin' 'pooter and capture the gloriousness on your unassuming mid range black metal box and send it on it's way into the interwebs.

'One PC does all' is a seriously flawed way of doing it tbh, eggs and baskets and all that.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

What are you using? I use NVidia shadowplay and there is a 1frame per second difference between recording and not recording. What GPU do you have? I think AMD have "ReLive" as well, which although I've never used it, seems to perform in a similar way.

Here... look. (apologies for the crap phone video, but I obviously can't use Shadowplay to record the frame rate when Shadowplay is not recording LOL).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. deanmacgregor

deanmacgregor Active Member

Please add scenery for the monorail that runs between Birmingham international station and the airport terminal, it's only a short one, many thanks.

4. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Any further news on the next update dropping Sam? I think we're a couple of weeks on from the last one.

5. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

It's been nearly 6 weeks since the first patch to address poor performance and a couple of other things was released. Since then we've heard noting at all out of DTG about it - it's one thing to say people shouldn't assume what's happened in the past won't happen here, but when all of a sudden there's no news, posts or anything at all, it's easy to resign yourself to more of the same.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Expat16

Expat16 New Member

They have our money already....

7. Pookeyhead

Not mine... I got a refund. I was hoping to pick it up in the sales now it has had one of apparently many patches to come, but twice now in DTG sales it has been discounted by a measly 15%. 15% discount on an unfinished work in progress? I'm not paying anywhere near full price for a work in progress and neither should you. Just use the Alan Thomson one (if you have the DLC). At least it gets updated. It's already on v5.3 based on user feedback.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  8. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

• Like Like x 6
  9. deanmacgregor

Someone please let me know when theirs gets updated, cheers.

10. Expat16

Expat16 New Member

Thank you Jamie for the update

11. deanmacgregor

12. brummie

brummie Active Member

Fantastic news Jamie, thanks!

13. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

2nd Patch is now released.

• Like Like x 4
  14. deanmacgregor

Still no monorail from Birmingham international station to the airport terminal, disappointing.

15. Kyle_Lennard1

Kyle_Lennard1 Active Member

The freightliner crane at Lawley street is still not present

16. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

Looking forward to giving it a whirl!

17. Expat16

Expat16 New Member

Still missing some overhead cables near wembley

18. deanmacgregor

Apparently according to train simulator facebook, this is the last update, despite in Jamie's post it says:

"We are aware there is an outstanding issue with one of the scenarios that would result in failed tasks. We are looking to address this issue in a further update but wanted to get this in the hands of players as soon as possible as the scenario fix is going to take a bit more time than we'd like."

19. guardupfront

that will be a scenario fix and not a full QoL update surely?

20. brummie

brummie Active Member

Can anyone confirm what their download size was for this second patch please. Jamie stated in his post it would be appx. 918 MB, but I just received one as soon as logging into Steam for 148.2 MB? Thanks in advance.

21. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

148.2mb for me too

22. brummie

brummie Active Member

Thank you very much for your reply Reef, have a good one.

23. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Download size can sometimes vary, but under 150mb does seem low for this. Recommend restarting Steam and seeing if that helps. If you still haven't got the update after 24 hours should reach out to support.

Will check on this in the meantime.

24. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I only just started up my PC and then Steam to see if I had the update, It then started the 148.2mb download.

25. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Restarted Steam no additional download appeared.

26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think DTG are concentrating on making the main line section work as it should.
    The Monorail is automatic so you would not be able to drive it in TS2021
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirRail_Link

• Like Like x 1
  27. brummie

brummie Active Member

Ditto here too! I have now re started Steam and nothing else is coming through.

Just ran a QD using the Pendalino and noticed the pantograph is now showing in the up position at rear end of train and the bit at B'ham New St. above the approach to the platforms has been improved so would appear I have the update?

28. adamelkara

adamelkara New Member

I am also experiencing many overhead wires missing near wembley (in the same places they were missing last time) even after this second update. Also, some of the gantries in the over/underpass section right after euston are still either hovering or embedded into walls. ​

29. claggybob

claggybob New Member

I decided I'd wait for the second update before trying again (so didn't see anything implemented in Update 1); and can report a mostly good mixed bag.

I like the improvements to the Euston model, the concourse end of the platforms particularly (I haven't looked at what were the trouble areas further north yet).

I did notice missing wires south of Wembley (around PRDC), but only when I was driving the Pendolumpo. I didn't notice any missing when flying around in the scenario editor (although to be fair I wasn't specifically looking for them); and unless I blinked at the wrong moment, they were correct when I did a quick run north in a Class 86. [If I notice them missing when I drive again I'll correct this.]

As for framerates, as I say, a mixed bag... My machine is pretty long in the tooth [i7 3770K, 16GB, GTX970], and my usual settings are 1920x1080, full quality, full density, 1x2 SSAA [FXAA disabled with FXAA eliminator], 4x or 8x anisotropic, procedural flora turned off, camera motion blur turned off, and pretty much everything else as default. In the Pendolumpo northbound scenario, that was basically pretty horrendous. It was peaking at 21-25fps with frequent long stuttery drops to 15 or lower. I changed settings before having another go: 8xMSAA and 4x filtering (everything else the same). I didn't bother trying the 390 again - it's not really my thing and it's famously a framehog. I put an 86 (AP EP) and rake of AP Mk2Es in Euston and set off north; with the new settings and no 390s, it was *much* better. Obviously with no AI whatsoever, it should be much better, but it was averaging 60-70fps. There were fairly regular dips down to ~20fps, more than can probably be accounted for by tile loading alone, most often passing stations (even pretty simple ones); but they were brief. The vast majority of the time it was above 40fps, and frequently 60-70. (In a 'plain' stretch before Bushey, looking across the interior view of the AP Mk2E, it was 120+!)

It's a bit of a shame the framerate dips are quite so deep -more so than in complicated patches on the freeware version- but then, without being unfair to the very good freeware version, the station models here are significantly better; and I'm under no illusion that my hardware is 'current'.

I think it's a vast improvement over the original release. (And probably with a modest and long-overdue upgrade to my machine (and no bleedin' 390s), it will be just fine.)

B

EDIT: I've just done another run in the 86; and in that, the wires are definitely there between Willesden and Wembley.

One problem I am finding though, is difficulties using portals at Euston for AI. I have an inbound set to stop at P14; after that, when setting the exit point to EUS P14 it's fine, but setting the exit point to the portal at the end of the platform causes the dispatcher to be unable to find a path. I have another service inbound to P7; to stop at the platform and then exit at the portal. The dispatcher routes to the portal without error, but the timings show a good couple of minutes between the platform stop and arriving at the portal; when it gets there, there's a game over error (driver left track).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  30. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Would recommend checking the patch notes first to make sure everything is there, also try these to see if it works and the download is larger.
    It's important to reset the cache occasionally too, especially after getting new content.

How to Verify Integrity of Game Files
    1. Restart your computer and launch Steam
    2. From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
    3. Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files... button.
    4. Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
    Clearing Your In-game Cache
    1. Open Train Simulator
    2. Select Settings,Tools
    3. Click Clear Cache

31. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Historically, the highest discount is offered by the time the new version is imminent. That means sometime next Summer. 50-60-70%.
    Back in 2014-2015 there have been serious discounts earlier, I got involved at during Winter Sale 2014 (I only have my bank statement but SteamDB shows 85% off, also Nov30), expanded by TS 2016 Steam Edition on 2015-11-28 for 8.26€ (+ Weardale twin pack, also fairly discounted at 12.04€).

32. Pookeyhead

I did see a note from Jamie saying wait 24 hours before complaining.
    If it;s as fixed as it's ever going to get, that's fine. I was referring to paying almost full price for something we know is still being patched. I wrote that before Jamie announced the last, and apparently final patch.

33. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

I wasn't unhappy with your post, I was merely pointing out that back when the game was newer, discounts haven't been so sparse.
    Sure, it's off topic, I still think it would be nicer if discounts would be flat 50%. Veterans just wait, new players could join however. Reviews have been improved a whole lot, so it still makes sense to attract new players.
    I'm happy to see the updates as well. Chances are I'll never play this (I have content for 40 years) but for the community's sake.

34. Pookeyhead

Yeah, I got what you meant. I was just explaining that when I wrote that, we had no idea how many fixes or patches were still forthcoming, so it was effectively a work in progress.

35. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

The fast QD from Euston isn't working. The first signal is red because of a switch somewhere ahead of the station doesn't give clearance, despite the fact, there is no approaching AI.

36. adamelkara

adamelkara New Member

Still have those missing overhead wires. Max settings, I'm 100% sure my patch has been downloaded because I have the updated Euston. Tried verifying cache, still missing. Reinstalled DLC multiple times, still missing. Verified integrity, still missing. Reinstalled game, still missing.

37. mike370

mike370 Active Member

I'm afraid that according to the release notes for this latest patch, the QD problems are still to be fixed. DTG state they're aware of this particular problem, and this issue is currently a work in progress - with a fix to later be released, presumably in patch number 3. I think they were understandably keen to release the long promised large second patch which was aimed at addressing various wider problems. So, perhaps worth avoiding QDs for now - here's hoping the scenarios all good in the near future. Fingers crossed.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. brummie

brummie Active Member

I did a QD in a class 350 yesterday using the slow from Euston and that was ok for me. Also noticed l could see the overhead wires south of Wembley but dont see them in same place from the pendolino?

• Like Like x 1
  39. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Same as the post above. I only miss the overhead wires with the Pendolino. Tried a few other trains and they are definitely there.

I suspect if I reduced some of my settings they might reappear (Currently running with the settings maxed out) but I didn’t get time to try that yet.

Apart from that enjoying this route much more now.

40. brummie

brummie Active Member

@ DTG Jamie
    Hi, I have found out how to get the QD fast from Euston to work!
    I set up a QD using a 9 car class 390, (Fast) and immediately pulled up to the red light, stopped and then asked permission to pass which was denied of course. Then just hit the ctrl + tab key and permission was granted, proceeded forward and it was green all the way, went as far as Watford Jct. Hope this helps.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. guardupfront

Anyone else's driver still examining the axles? Not sure if it is an issue with the train or not, but cleared cache and still got him down there.

Hope he's ok... Screenshot_WCML South_52.37853--1.24678_07-04-42.jpg

42. Pookeyhead

Looks like it's still a work in progress then.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  43. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about him. He's just checking if the axles are still ok while going high speed
    Just don't scare him or else he'll run away :D

• Like Like x 1
  44. claggybob

claggybob New Member

If there's another patch a few extra siding(?) markers around the Euston approach might help 'go via' routing for scenario makers - e.g. one on the overpass [above the DC lines] on the Euston side of Primrose Hill tunnel which takes the up fast over to Line A; the signaller/dispatcher insists on Line D without one, which converges briefly with the down fast; so unless you're really accurate with timetabling & driving, someone's getting held. I'm not on my main PC at the moment but *I think* there are some duplicate marker names on Camden Bank. Of course it's a function of the real-world layout being such a mess (i.e. not the developers' fault), but routing around Euston to make it look as busy as it frequently is can be a nightmare - plenty of markers (with distinct names so the dispatcher/signaller doesn't play pot luck) really helps.

And if there's any spare time/patience after that, a coat of looking-at for the Euston portals would be greatly appreciated :)

45. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Thank you everyone for telling us about the QD and the Driver. Will pass this onto the team.

• Like Like x 2
  46. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Euston station had not changed too much over the years and the long distance services use 1 to 7, 8 to 11 the DC and semi fast services and then 12 to 15 for longer distance services. 16 + 17 tended to be used by peak extras to Northampton and Birmingham.

Before the area was remodelled the trains on the Up Fast flew over the Slow lines and down the bank on what is line A.
    Fine if you were arriving in to platforms 1 to 7 but you could wait outside if you needed to get a higher platform.
    The Down departure line, now X, which goes from the low side platforms under the mainline and out at Camden always existed but as a slower route.

The rebuilding made the route faster and introduced a new line from the Up Fast tunnel at Camden over line D which used to be the Down Fast. Trains can now arrive/depart in the mainline platforms, 1-7 & 12-17 without conflicting the slow lines B&C
    https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/lec1

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. rare_common_sense

Thanks, Man, that worked like a charm. You're Ace for that!:cool::cool::cool:

48. brummie

brummie Active Member

No probs mate, just happy to assist!

49. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Which means the consist is placed back to front in scenario editor... CTRL+TAB is permission to proceed through a signal behind the consist

50. rare_common_sense

That's interesting. I would have never picked up on that. Especially since you start off looking in the direction your heading. So it's just a matter of flipping the consist around.