Train Sim World 2 - Mainline Mainstay

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...what also strikes me is the slightly different looking tank and the shape of the bogie. I like the design of the GE Dash 8 and 9 locomotive family and I reserched a bit in wikipedia. The C stands for six axle models and W for safety cab. Another difference, as already mentioned, is the traction performance and the handling, which is with 4000 hp, a little less than the AC4400...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

There are lots of good reasons to have this loco in your collection, a great choice by DTG. The Dash 8 is a transitional locomotive -wide cab, computer control etc. But for me, getting in that hybrid cab and seeing what functionality it has is the best part. It's close to a Dash 9 or AC4400CW but not quite. There's no other cab like it. I'm sure the externals will be fine, the sound and horn we'll have to wait and see.

• Like Like x 6
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Read on, MacDuff: "The upcoming CSX GE C40-8W DLC for Train Sim World 2 will also feature a new three-bay, 100-ton CSX open-top coal hopper, three challenging scenarios for the Sand Patch Grade route, and the locomotive is fully integrated into Sand Patch’s excellent selection of timetabled services."

• Like Like x 1
  4. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

But I read that as like the train switches into existing services, and does not add new ones, which is what that person was unhappy with.

• Like Like x 5
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yeah. No mention of ADDITIONAL services, Bocie.
    To be clear - I'm very happy about this DLC!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Sandpatch already has more services than real life. It doesn't need more.

• Like Like x 2
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

• Like Like x 1
  8. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Tempted to buy the dash 8 for the sake of variation but only if it's 11.99 or less

• Like Like x 1
  9. shaungrainger1980

shaungrainger1980 New Member

Never mind new dlc,where is the heavy freight ntp please and thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I hope - 18:00 UTC 19.11.2020 \o/ Pray with me :D

• Like Like x 2
  11. shaungrainger1980

shaungrainger1980 New Member

⛪️

• Like Like x 3
  12. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I mean, yeah, but they're still very different. Larger radiators, typically the newer GE comfort cab. Some type of GEVO would've been a smarter choice instead of a dash 8, or if they were going to do a d8 the ex con's would've been a smarter choice.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

They most likely went with the Dash 8 as they have reference models from the Miami - West Palm Beach route from TS20XX, the only GEVO they done in CSX colors was a marketplace reskin for a BNSF model.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Greenroad

Greenroad Active Member

I agree. Personally I like the headlight being on top of the cab as it was with the Conrail Dash8s.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

the Gevo could be used for many routes like SFJ and the upcoming cane creek

• Like Like x 2
  16. jclogan1813

jclogan1813 Member

Nice to see some American DLC, wish they would expand the Sand patch to branch off the main line and be able to get on some single track action

• Like Like x 3
  17. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

The Loco is available now

18. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Not yet available for me I will have to wait until tomorrow when it is out.

19. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Where are you from?
    Europe is already out in the store

20. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am on PC and out West Coast of British Columbia Canada

• Like Like x 1
  21. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Where? Can't fint it at all :o

22. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Well, I live in the US (East Coast) and it's not released over here yet (Until midnight for consoles of course).

23. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

So, any news? I know some people have this already, I'm curious as to whether I should end up buying it or wait for a sale. I'm most worried about the sounds, which have been wrong in the other Sand Patch Grade stuff.

24. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

There is something horribly wrong with the sounds as they are all compressed and remind me of MSTS days. It sounds very flat, and worst of all it still uses those awful AC traction motor sounds.

See my other post here (includes a video of someone doing the tutorial on YouTube).

• Like Like x 1
  25. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

*Sigh* They've done it again... I won't be buying this. I was hoping DTG would finally update sounds, especially when it's a brand new loco, but of course, they've defaulted to re-using old ones. Don't know why I expected better, honestly. To anyone at DTG, usually games are supposed to dedicate a whole team to designing sounds. If you have one already, it's a complete joke. This is the one issue I know myself and a lot of people have with the game, but it really ruins immersion.

I don't know if this is true for other countries, but in America, sound is a large part of trains. You can hear the engines for miles, and the horn too. This hasn't been implemented in TSW2, with the horns sounding like something I could make with a synthesizer, and the engines sounding way too... wrong. Not sure what it is, but definitely wrong. I was previously considering buying this, simply because I thought it would be fun to run a train with good sounds for once, but they really "missed the train" with that one (haha). It's too similar to the AC4400CW for me, with good sounds I would've let that slide.

Alright, feel free to count the amount of times I've said "sound," but that's the end of my rant.

• Like Like x 3
  26. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

You've said it about 6 times. Well Sound & sounding :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  27. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

The sound of the engine is impressive like that from the AC4400 CW. The horn sounds not so realistic. Same as the AC4400 CW. The dashboard is analog. The button wall in the cab is different from the AC4400. For multiple unit use you have the MU valve. And you have buttons for cut in independent and loco break. And very positive is that you can activate the alerter by using a PS4 or Xbox. That is something not working with the AC4400 even you use console with keyboard.

Summit: Very good work DTG. Love that heavy diesel.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

If you say the engine is impressive and you use AC4400 as a comparison, that's really not good. AC4400 sounds awful compared to the real counterpart and Dash-8 sounding the same is a big no-no. It also has DC traction motors instead of AC, yet they used the same AC motor sound.

29. docsnyder1911

The diesel engines mainly creating the sound. And the V16 dieselengines ore almost the same. Not the generator or the DC or the AC trucks creating the sound mainly. The only other reason could be the smaller radiotors at the Dash 8. And even the engine start sounds similar like in real.

For AC4400:

Link real:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAJ6BAgBEA0&usg=AOvVaw3I5qENsdkLqravXEHEXty5

Link TSW:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgBEAM&usg=AOvVaw1Q6cSZHiwpeh7RmaP36j4A

30. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It is not the idle sounds that are the problem so much as it is the higher notches (4-8) where the traction motors start wailing at an earpiercing volume over the prime mover. This is absolutely not how GE's locomotives, regardless of the generation or model, have ever sounded.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  32. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I don't know why they didn't use the sounds that they recorded from the Amtrak Dash 8.

• Like Like x 1
  33. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Because they lazy and used past and copy

• Like Like x 1
  34. docsnyder1911

I'm not sure if every AC 4400 has exactly the same sounds in real. I compare it with cars. I did test drives with 2 V8 diesel SUV's. Both exactly the same type. The first one had the classical V8 sound by using the full power throttle only. The other had the classical V8 sound even at low RPM. It was the same manufacturer, the same type of car, the same engine and the same exhaust pipes. But they had completely different sounds. Why it should be different with locos.

35. Big Papi34

I could complain all day about how your boxy little German engines suck and blah blah blah, but I relize people all over the world have different taste and preferences so I don't.

36. docsnyder1911

As a german I like almost all locos. The german locos for sure. But I love that heavy american mainline diesel beasts so much too. Because of their unique maintenance friendly design, the bulldog cab design, their engine and horn design and their impressive tractive effort. Other iconic trains and locos like the ICE's, the Shinkanzen, HST 125 the TGV, the Javelin and the Ludmila I like so much too.

• Like Like x 4
  37. Big Papi34

Exactly. I enjoy trains of all sort, just was making the point German engines could be insulted just as well as American ones.

• Like Like x 1