Option To Disable Annoying Pop Ups, Ui And Sounds

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Nov 18, 2020.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Whilst playing TSW, I noticed the only way to access the relevant information is to have the rather controversial looking UI on display, which I personally think looks pretty arcade like. Along with all the silly sounds which you can’t disable.

In Britain, train drivers have something called a job card, which shows their scheduled times for arrivals and departures, as well as any other information.

OMSI bus simulator has a similar feature, which looks like this. I would like this in TSW, which would be auto generated with the appropriate times and information.

upload_2020-11-18_18-36-59.jpeg

Secondly, it would be nice to have an option to disable those rather annoying, arcade-sounding pop up overlays. Particularly when you have completed an objective, such as closing the doors, this can appear and sound several times during your journey.

I personally think it’s a bit of an overkill to display the objective complete overlay every time you have completed an instruction. There’s just no need for it. I would like to drive my service without all the interruptions and silly sounds.

Now, everyone drives and prefers different things, so DTG, please provide the players with OPTIONS so we can toggle features and sounds on and off. TSW has always lacked player customisation settings since day one.

• Like Like x 19
  2. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I agree with that. TWS relies too much on the HUD and prettymuch requires player to look at it if he wants to complete the service.

I that the best solution would be a draggable window showing a real-like timetable. Also failing an objective without noticing it should not cause a service to break but only cause a notice at the end. For example if you close your doors early, you should still be able to continue driving to your next destination and finish the service.

• Like Like x 2
  4. londonmidland

That’s a workaround, however it isn’t really the ideal solution. Also, it’s the UI and pop ups which are the main issue.

I can’t view the relevant information without having the enable the HUD and other overlays. It’s all a bit too cluttered for my liking. I’d happily do with it displaying the necessary information in a non overly graphical, oversized interface. Basic looking, but useful.

TSW focuses too much of this as being as graphically pleasing as possible, almost like an arcade racing game. So it suffers from too many visuals over functionality.

• Like Like x 2
  5. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I like a lot the idea of the printed job orders and schedules using that paper background style rather than the modern look transparent lists or menus. For freight trains you could also have a printed waybill. There, for instance, you normally note down the wagons or cargo that you pick/drop at each stop.

Now that the ESC menu contains very interesting info about the train service this could be a place to hold it, but definitelly something in 3D in the cab is much better, like in OMSI.

Cheers

6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Another train sim working timetable:

5.png

Possibility to generate a printable version:

6.png

I believe one day it will start working in TSW! :)
    The train driver in Poland also has the so-called written orders. I don't have an example. I think, like above, printed, would be OK.

PS
    Superb info. I was searching, asking for that. Thank You! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

i do like the UI and the popups (casual train driver)
    there just needs to be better options to disable it
    most of the ui you can disable with
    ctrl +1 to 6
    the top left can not be disabled unless you press f1 to remove it all

8. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

Which information do you wish to keep? You can always press T for your timetable after disabling everything you don't want.

9. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

For me, it would be perfect to keep notifications only.

11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Would also like to get rid of the coloured overlay on the track as you approach a stop, but leave the marker post. I can't for the life of me see how to turn it off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

It's easy: You need to turn "stop marker" off, but keep "objective marker" on. This way, you still keep the blue "circle" without the red-orange-green thing literally covering up the entire track. The option is sometimes bugged, I personally need to set it to that option for every individual route for some reason :D

• Like Like x 2
  13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Thank you Bjorn, off to sort that now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

True :)
    [CTRL][1] combo is objective marker toggle

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I wish we could have that timetable paper in TSW. It would be super helpful when driving without the HUD.

• Like Like x 1
  16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I've been thinking for a long time how to figure it out - the game contains most of the data. I sneak a glance at geloxo ... ekhm :)

17. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

In reallity nobody has a HUD and they have been driving for decades :D

I personally leave displayed just the distance to next speed limit and distance to next stop, cause if you don´t know the route it may be hard to drive sometimes. Knowing those distances you can use the route signalling to drive quite well. I have seen some drivers using a track layout drawing on the cab desk with the mileposts and speed limits included, so this is not so far from that.

Cheers

18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Working timetable. How to get this data out of the game to the file? :)

I use a similar minimalist HUD, but for DTG competitors, where it works - you can feel the difference. Because you have these data at hand and nothing (HUD) blemishes the landscape outside the window.

UPDATE

Matt mentioned there once, this "second IFD" might start working someday. Maybe TRAXX? It's probably more about the game mechanics than the locomotive itself, but who knows.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2020
  19. londonmidland

I'd like a paper timetable displayed in the cab somewhere so it eliminates the need for an overlay UI. I'd also like the option to disable the objective complete popup as well as the sounds associated with it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

At least you can turn off the sound already with the mod and disable the rest of the hub. It might not be exactly as you'd like, but it's an alternative that you can use in the meantime.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  21. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I have no idea. If game variables could be read from the outside world this is something I would also like to know, as I couldn´t implement the automated messaging system in my radio tool as I don´t know how to read the train position or distance to target from game. In the past some lua scripting was available but with TSW I honestly didn´t check those things. But if it´s on a HUD it´s on a variable, so if it´s allowed it could be exported to an external tool. As commented before there are mods that printed timetable to the cab screens in TSW.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how I drive. I prefer to keep my UI to a minimum, only displaying those bits that I really need. I don't know the routes well enough to remember all the speed limits and station stops.

I still prefer the good old Train Simulator HUD though, it was compact and contained much more information than this huge TSW HUD. All information was bundled together, rather than being split over all the corners of the screen.

• Like Like x 1
  23. londonmidland

This is something I’d like in TSW. I don’t like how the information is spread out on all parts of the screen. Not to mention it’s oversized and not at all visually pleasing, in my opinion. It’s more of a distraction but it’s the only way to view the information required unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  24. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Yes please. Give us the option to turn off the objective complete pop up and bleeping sound. It doesnt help with immersion it's right in the line of view. Theres all that greyed out space at the top of the screen to use.

When it appears the whole game pauses for half a second. Why does it do that anyway?

25. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

There is a mod linked earlier that will disable the bleeping sounds.

• Like Like x 1
  26. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

I know. I linked you to it a few days ago . It doesn't help with the gant enormous pop up and hitch in the frame rate though.

• Like Like x 2
  27. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

CTRL 7 to turn off the rainbow ‘stop marker’ quickly. CTRL 1 for the blue lollipop ‘objective marker’.

28. londonmidland

I’ve noticed this too. The overlays lag and they don’t appear instantly in some cases. The lag is so excessive that sometimes the whole animation is missed out and it abruptly appears. Certainly isn’t a smooth experience.

• Like Like x 1
  29. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree this should happen espically on consoles. I am not a fan of the silly sounds and the objective complete thing. It makes it more arcady then a sim. I would like to not use a hud but your pratically forced to do so in order to know what's happening in terms of objectives

• Like Like x 2
  30. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

I've just discovered you *can* turn off the objective message!

In settings/game/ right at the top turn off notifications.

Not sure what else it turns off, but it removes the message and so far the stutter when it would show.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The 'beep' sound remains. This also disables confirmations after an action, such as changing the throttle position :)