Amtrak's Capitol Corridor

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Adam Palmer, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Adam Palmer

Adam Palmer Active Member

[​IMG]
    (Image Link https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...tol_Corridor_train_at_Rodeo,_January_2010.jpg )

The Route and What's Included
    The Capitol Corridor runs from San Jose to Auburn CA serving such cities as Oakland, Emeryville, Martinez, Suisun-Fairfield, Davis and Sacramento. The TSW route would include Amtrak's Capitol Corridor from San Jose to Sacramento as well as portions of various other subdivisions from both UP and BNSF as well as their various yards. These include the massive Roseville Yard east of Sacramento, Desert Yard in West Oakland, Newark Yard and BNSF's Richmond Terminal and the Port of Richmond. The route should also include the former Western Pacific trackage from Niles Jct. east to Pleasanton, the Mococo line to Antioch, the Napa Branch from Suisun Fairfield to Napa Jct. and the Northwestern Pacific Railroad and Sonoma Marin Area Rapid Transit, SMART from Napa Jct. south to Larkspur Landing from Ignacio and north to Cloverdale. BNSF's line east should also be represented from Richmond to Pinole. Also included are the Niles Canyon Railroad that runs from Niles to Sunol, this runs historic equipment including steam locomotives.

Locomotives and Rolling Stock
    The primary locomotive and rolling stock for the route is the Amtrak EMD F59PHi and bi-level coach stock, which includes cab-car. Though these locomotives are in the process of being replaced with new Tier 4 units more information is known about the F59 and is a more well known engine all together. Also for passenger stock should include the Amtrak P42DC, viewliner baggage car and Superliner stock to represent the two long distance trains that travel over the route with the addition of the Pacific Parlour Car for the Coast Starlight as well as SMART's Nippon Sharyo DMU's.

For freight, Union Pacific locomotives should include the GE ES44AC, EMD SD70M for mainline power, and the EMD GP38-2 for yard and local duties. BNSF should include an ES44AC and Genset locomotive for yard duties. As for licensing, release the BNSF locomotives labeled inside the US and release a generic orange version for outside.

Freight rolling stock should consist of a well car, autorack, boxcar,
    tank car, covered hopper, coal hopper, low gondola, centerbeam flatcar, and a beat up old caboose for switching duties.

For other power, include an EMD GP9 for the NWP as well as a historic one painted in SP's Black Widow scheme for the Niles Canyon Railway along with an SP EMD NW2 switcher painted in the Tiger Stripe livery also for the NCRY. Historic passenger equipment including open air cars should be included for the NCRY along with a historic steam locomotive either Clover Valley #4 or Quincy #6.

In Conclusion
    I believe this route would be a good fit for TSW because it has a good balance of both passenger and freight operations as well as a good variety of either. You can run Amtrak Capitol Corridor or San Joaquin trains or the California Zephyr and Coast Starlight or a BNSF or UP mainline freight or a local or yard switch job. Not to mention the scenery is fantastic. You transition from the urban areas of the East Bay until you follow the shore of San Pablo Bay and eventually transition to Marshland and to Farmland before passing through the San Joaquin flood plane and arriving at Sacramento and on to Roseville. I would be willing to argue that Amtrak's Capitol Corridor be a good fit for Train Sim World.

• Like Like x 23
  2. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

The Capitol Corridor is a great route. I've ridden it from Oakland to Sacramento and it's such a beautiful route with a great variety of scenery. Originally, I was hoping for Dovetail Games to make the section from Oakland's Coliseum Station to Sacramento with the California State Railroad Museum's Sacramento Southern branch line (so we can have an operational steam locomotive included) as well as the BART line from Richmond to San Francisco (so we can go to San Francisco in passenger mode). But I now see that if the full Capitol Corridor is made from Sacramento (or Auburn) to San Jose, the Niles Canyon Railroad's line and one of its steam locomotives could be included, I could go with that. Although I still would like to have the BART line from Richmond to San Francisco so we can actually go to San Francisco on the route, not just see it from across the bay.

• Like Like x 3
  3. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

It appears the downvote fairy has struck again in the route suggestion section

+1 from me. Sounds like a great suggestion

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Pacific Surfliner feel without overlapping on the Pacific Surfliner we have already seen-not a bad idea at all. And it's connected to an area we already know with the Peninsula Corridor, so most people won't be hopelessly lost as to where this route is in relation to everything else.

5. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

This could be a very scenic route for TSW however I don’t think DTG is ready to make such a large route for such a new game yet. As you can see on the current routes we have now they’re not too long compared to routes made on TS. Eventually we could see something like this though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blue Fred

Blue Fred Member

Rather do Caltrain tbh.

7. Lawjester

It’s already been done for TS. My top request is for DTG is to make the LIRR and then Metro North like you’ve suggested with the Hudson Line.

8. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I'm not one to say that routes shouldn't be done again in TSW. I do feel that not having the Great Western Main Line would be a serious missing out on TSWs part. Same for other big deal routes in train simming like the NEC, Marias Pass, Donner Pass, Sherman Hill, to name a few USA ones. But Caltrain? No, I don't think that's worthy of a redux in TSW. It's too new (while all the other routes I have in mind are earlier than 2014!) to justify a redux already, and it is not one of the greats in terms of routes that every simulator needs to have.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lawjester

I very much agree while I’m not a freight type of person and I’d definitely prefer a nice passenger route, Caltrain is not so popular amongst the world of trains but something like the NEC is.

• Like Like x 2
  10. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

Not necessarily. Depends on which section(s) of the Northeast Corridor in comparison to the Peninsula Corridor. I believe the Philadelphia to Boston section of the Northeast Corridor (yeah, I know that's most of it) is equal to the full Peninsula Corridor (from San Francisco to Gilroy) in terms of how legendary it is. They're both special in their own ways. But I certainly think the full Peninsula Corridor from San Francisco to Gilroy is a lot better and a lot more iconic than the Philadelphia to Washington section of the Northeast Corridor.

Oh yeah, by the way, I believe San Francisco is way better than Philadelphia and Baltimore combined. I've been to all three of those cities before and I don't take that back. I love San Francisco just as much as New York City, but in different ways. So I welcome a route with San Francisco or Emeryville or Oakland (or all three for that matter) to Train Sim World with arms wide open for business-driven reasons primarily. Whether it's the northern-most part of the Coast Line from San Francisco to Salinas or the Capitol Corridor from Oakland to Sacramento, either one of those would be great routes for sure in Train Sim World when it comes to the trains that run there, landmarks and interactivity.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  11. granttozier

granttozier New Member

this would be wonderful addon/ extention for the current pennensula corridor caltrain route this would also be my dream route to have in tsw 2 even if they only go to oakland for now

12. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

I think the long route DTG should be updated every year on a regular basis. I believe the five-hour route experience will be great