Era Poll

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by OldVern, Nov 19, 2020.

?

What Is Your Preferred Railway Experie

Poll closed Nov 26, 2020.
  1. Pre 1951 - Steam (If We Ever Get It.)

8 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. 1951 to 1968 - Steam to Diesel Transition BR Green Era

16 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. 1968 to 1984 - BR Blue Era Loco Hauled, Heritage DMU's Etc.

24 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. 1984 to 1994 - BR Sectorisation, Second Generation Units.

16 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. 1994 to 2015(ish) Into Privatisation And The Modern Era.

24 vote(s)
    18.3%
  6. 2015 to Current - Ultra Modern, The Railway As It Is Now

43 vote(s)
    32.8%
  1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Following on from discussions here and elsewhere, thought I would post a quick poll regarding preferred era. The questions are slewed towards the UK epochs but kind of applicable to other regions, too. Goes without saying mine is BR Blue...

Console players also welcome to take part.

2. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

I love the Tees Valley setting. Sector Class 37 with BR blue 31s.

3. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

4. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Steam team team! :D

Anything vintage is nice. Tracks were bad, brakes were bad, traction was bad and there were no safety systems... Trains post 2000s are too boring to drive as most systems are automated and nothing fails. Also the vintage buildings themselves were charming.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  5. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

Im in a odd boat. I like modern day (94+) for routes I know and have seen in real life as I feel theyre more immersive, especially if they include a 43 or a 222/700 but for routes that ive perhaps got no interest in, or have never been on I like the BR era.

I like flexibility though, for me its enough to have say a modern day Midland Mainline with 222/700s but then run the 45s in scenario planner etc. obviously the scenery wont be right, but it works for the itch and "special event" story.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Although I can appreciate modern trains, I do think the older trains are more interesting to drive, considering they have more manual operations.

And considering we already have a decent amount of modern content, we're definately missing some old content. Can't wait for the day steam locomotives are going to be a thing in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  7. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

Born in 1944 bought my first Ian Allan spotters combine in 1951 no point in voting for something that does not exist(Steam) so it has to be 1951 to 1968.

But I love trains of all shapes and sizes.

Mike

• Like Like x 4
  8. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Sectorization for me: NSE Toothpaste, Provincial/Regional Rail, Intercity, Freight sectors. Loco hauled passenger trains, and the crossover from first gen to second gen units. Yummy

• Like Like x 1
  9. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

Even though I'm British, I always enjoyed playing with the old stuff in TS2020 from around the world. The fallen flags period in North America being a classic example, first and second generation diesels from the 1960s to the 1980s for me are always welcome.
    We've just been given in TS2020 the Clinchfield Railroad with the F7, and in TSW the Trans-Pennine Route in Britain, I would love to see many, many more DLC like that, it's historical and many of us can relate to it, personally, across both versions of the game.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. OldVern

Thanks for the votes and comments so far, very interesting - keep 'em coming!

11. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

I find this interesting, and I honestly mean interesting so please dont take it as anything else. I have the complete opposite view - in terms of UK content. We have a class 166 and 377, the class 66 is sort of muddled in and the HST can be sort of included even though its largely being retired now and replaced by IETs for modern content. On the other hand we have Class 20, 31, 33, 37, 40, 45, 47, 08, 09, 52, 101s. Id say we're lacking real "modern" UK content, we still dont have a up-to-date UK mainline, but we do have a pretty significant UK route in the BR era.

do we have very different ideas on the definition of modern?

• Like Like x 2
  12. OldVern

It is an interesting point. For example I would regard 150/153(5)/158 as "modern" traction when in reality they are 30 years old! I guess even the Voyagers and Pendies have been around for a while too.

I guess it is kind of subjective with so many variables, not just age necessarily!

13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

My main interest is BR 70's and 80's so that is the choice I made but I am happy to drive a class 377, 101 or a Pannier tank, as long as the experience is immersive and enjoyable!

Personally I want to see more of everything so that people of all interests can get to enjoy something of what they want, also it offers variety in terms of content so we can all have a mixture if we want.

I am looking forward to Kent High speed although in real life I wouldn't bother making the effort to visit the route but as I just enjoy driving trains I will purchase it. I just hope that we don't end up with a situation, as in TS1 where the vast majority of routes were from the modern period (well 2005 to 2020 ish) as that does not offer much variety. For those who like older trains in TS1 we had other suppliers like Victory Works, SSS, Creative Rail etc or of course the freeware community. If these are not going to be available in TSW (freeware) or only a small representation (other payware) then we have to accept what DTG offer us or not at all.

If DTG have problems getting some licences then that might force them to look to the past.

I suppose the "modern trains" in TS1 are not really considered modern now, it is interesting that we haven't see a class 195 or 700 something yet in TS1, maybe that is down to licencing as the routes are there.

I remember when the Sprinters reached 20 years old some of my fellow commuters though they were ancient, more like 40 years old. It is hard to believe Pendolino's are nearly 20 and I guess they will they be off to the scrapyard in maybe not too many years to come. I still can't believe we are going to see class 91's and mark 4 coaches disposed of as they still seem modern and could surely be used somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  14. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

It is complicated for me, I am interested in stuff from the 80s onwards that I remember, but that is only for the UK. For non-uk routes the more modern the better - I have no attachment to old German locos or US locos etc and like moderninity. I love the ICE and HighSpeed rail. On the flip-side some of the new UK trains leave me a bit cold, they lack the familiarity and nostalgia of the older UK ones. I was looking at the 755s which have a "power pack" car in the middle - wut?!

15. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

Definitely BR Blue for me.

Around the time of sectorisation I met Mrs EC and lost interest in trains somewhat until she bought me a copy of MSTS in 2002 (on the grounds it was cheaper than building a model railway). Well now I have a model railway in progress in BR Blue mainly although I did splash the cash for a Virgin Voyager (2nd hand) and a Pendolino DCC Sound in N Gauge.

Having said that the modern block freight trains fascinate me too and on the way back from the UKTSLive show at Barrow-In-Furness last year we stopped off at Peak Forest for a couple of hours watching the 66s which are impressive beasts.

• Like Like x 3
  16. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

I would too, I think its alot of "what would I see if I went and stood at the station" and for me "modern" trains still include 150, 156, 158, 200/1/2, 170s. I would love to see some of the new GA stock, or Northern stock but Id say my sweet point are some routes set in say 2010-2015 with the 150 series etc still doing the grunt work

17. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Hm, difficult to answer for me because I can't relate to UK (because I know too less) and focus on Germany. So personally I like from mid-80s to mid-2000 I would say

18. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Tees Valley and NTP are my favorite UK lines in TSW2, looking at my choices in TS, you can’t beat the railwright Class 40 for a good run. U.S. prime movers like the Uboats, the Geeps and the F7s hold my interest the most. So from my habits - early 60s till 90s seems to be my favorite era.

But I like trains... so will probably drive whatever is available with an emphasis on freight and long haul passenger over commuter lines.

19. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

East Coastway seems pretty modern.

Yes, because I'd include all of the German stuff, while you seem to limit yourself to UK only.

20. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I perfer more modern British routes like London To Faversham. Or modern passenger routes in general I'm not a fan of freight or old historic routes and I hope we get more modern british routes

21. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I quite like driving any train but the ones I like the most are the ones with big handles that operate real things, like the brake handle that is physically part of the brake system. From the perspective of what I would like in TSW then I have to go for variety above all else. The more different ways of operating trains the better as far as I’m concerned and that includes modern stuff and eventually steam trains too. I’ve answered the poll with the trains from when I was a teenager because I do want to see some of the BR stuff I remember from then. There are no BR electrics yet.

• Like Like x 3
  22. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I went 68-84, but if I could have gone 68-94 that would probably have been more accurate - (i like both :D )

• Like Like x 1
  23. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Well, there's the 377 :P

But I agree, I remember these old electric locomotives like the 87 or 76 being one of my favourite locos to drive in Train Simulator, as well as non-UK electric engines like the Krokodil.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

German steam locomotives had Indusi 34!

25. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

But that was later than the XIX century, no? I´m not familiar with that version of Indusi, sorry... Anyway I voted to go to the old steam era. If they put the Indusi I won´t activate it. I go full visual :D

the-general-5.jpg

Cheers

26. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Starting in the 1930s, so not quite ancient, but it was a pretty basic system with only 2000Hz protection if I believe. Still a very German thing to do. :)

• Like Like x 2
  27. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

This is a bit tricky for my vote, because as much as I love my 1st Gen. DMUs, I also tend to be more towards the late 80s, when Sprinters and Pacers where making their mark. But I do prefer BR Blue over Green, so I picked the 68-84 option.

28. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

Modern commuter for me, not to say I don't enjoy the BR stuff on TV or NTP though, I get good value out of those as well.

• Like Like x 2
  29. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I like classic locos set in modern times. The UK is severely lacking anything AC electric wise in TSW. The only electric stuff we have is DC units.

I'd love to drive the Class 86 in TSW!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  30. treid09

treid09 Guest

Does modern American count? (1990s to present)

31. Smograil

Smograil Member

I grew up in intercity days. I'd absolutely love a west coast mainline route with a mix of 86s, 87s and 90s. They could use the existing 37 and reliveried 47 on freight

• Like Like x 3
  32. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

How can we vote for era from when steam was disappearing to current

33. OldVern

Feel free to adapt my time bands which, as I said, were based on UK epochs, to your own territory - in your case I would suggest the final option, Ultra Modern, but the choice is yours!

I would choose the 1951 - 1968 option then. I considered having more time bands but it would have dispersed the results even wider.

34. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I pretty much like the 1800-2020 period, although I guess I'd be fine with anything before and after that period too. Variety is key. :P

• Like Like x 2
  35. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

This way we will never get steam in game... 50 cents to anybody who changes the vote to first option ;) Hahahaha.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  36. theorganist

I would have had steam as my second option. I thought it would have been popular in the poll. The BR blue period is my absolute favourite though, mainly as the era I grew up in, but I do love recreating the days of steam in TS1.

I suspect there would be a lot more interest in steam than may be intimated in this poll. It comes up regularly on here and steam has been popular on TS1 from what I can see. There are a few payware steam loco developers and a few payware routes have emerged which seem to have been popular. There are many freeware steam period routes too.

37. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Purno , even though I voted for the ‘68 time frame, really I could have voted for any of them since I like variety. First and Second generation U.S. diesels seem to be my first draw, but miss taking a Black 5 for a spin. Modern E/DMUs are good for a quick romp followed by a nice coal drag behind a class 66 with a step back to a class 47 for a lark. Taking a classic American 4-4-0 up to Promentory or the Classic FEF over Sherman Hill is a gas with a spin in the UP gas Turbine followed by some BR 363 action.

There is a reason why TS20XX still resides on my drive, the variety it offers over TSW2 can not be matched at the present time. I do hope TSW2 will get DLC in all the listed eras in this survey because I enjoy them all.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Aye, I remember enjoying taking the little steam engine over Clear Creek, and the next day cruising 380km/h on the Chinese high speed network. I could be enjoy the open views while taking a roaring diesel engine over the West Highland Line, but as well as taking these modern Swiss electric engines downhill steep gradients carving their way through the mountainous Alps.

TS20XX doesn't only have variety in the era, it also has more variety in countries. The more are added to the mix, the better. :)

• Like Like x 2
  39. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

If I were to categorize it I think it would be like this
    Pre 1940 (Steam Era)
    1940's-1950's (Transition Era)
    1950's-1971 (Pre Amtrak Era)
    1971-1989 (Early Modern Era)
    1990s-20XX (Current Modern Era)

40. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Pre 1800 locos? Do you mean horses? I remember having a quaint little route in Trainz that had a horse drawn train. Probably easier to simulate than steam. They could even animate one of the donkeys, perhaps.

41. treid09

treid09 Guest

Thanks!

42. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

1951 - 1984, Vern. So the two era's combined.

• Like Like x 1
  43. tallboy7648

I guess based on the results of this poll, the majority perfer ultra modern content which isn't a surprise

44. theorganist

Well 32.8% prefer ultra modern, 67.2% don't.

45. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I’m not fussy really. To be honest, part of me is wanting to have more modern routes, but also there is a small part of me wanting to see some older routes such as Modern Day Cornish Mainline and Morden Day Brighton Mainline, but I would like to have a 1980s Waterloo to Southampton and a 1980s Salisbury to Exeter route. But to be honest, I’m not too fussy so long as the quality is good.

46. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

So we need a vote between the top 2 to find the most popular

Mike

47. theorganist

Yes I guess so, although second place is tied. That would still only show the preferences of a relative few numbers of users on this forum though.

48. OldVern

Certainly interesting results and not quite what I expected - was fully expecting my chosen era (BR Blue) to be the most popular.

Just goes to show..!

• Like Like x 1
  49. tallboy7648

That I guess most people according to this poll at least and not the entire gamebase prefer modern content including myself

• Like Like x 1
  50. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I think the poll suggested that two thirds of people prefer content that isn't 'modern', but we could argue about statistics for ages.
    Personally I like BR Blue, but obviously 1951 to 1968 - Steam to Diesel Transition BR Green Era could be amazing if it coincided with steam coming to TSW2.

• Like Like x 2