Class 180 Adelante

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by tubefan1973, Nov 19, 2020.

?
  1. Yay

72.2%
  2. Nay

27.8%
  1. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

Welp, Paul told me that you need to check the 3901 cupboard.
    The British Rail Class 180 is a class of 14 diesel-hydraulic multiple-unit passenger trains built by Alstom at Washwood Heath in 2000/01 for First Great Western (FGW). They are part of the Coradia 1000 family, along with the Class 175. After recurring technical problems with the trains, FGW handed all the units back to leasing company Angel Trains in 2008/09. After a period in store, they were leased to Hull Trains and Grand Central, while the remaining five units returned to service with FGW. The latter five have since moved to Grand Central, whilst the four Hull Trains units have been transferred to East Midlands Railway.

Background
    As a franchise agreement, FGW was required to increase the frequency of its express service from London Paddington to South Wales to half hourly. This required extra high-speed rolling stock. FGW ordered fourteen 125 mph diesel multiple units from Alstom, similar to the 26 Class 175s then under construction for sister company First North Western.

The first unit was unveiled on 18 April 2000.However, following a string of problems, full main line testing did not begin until December 2000, six months after it was intended to start. Despite this, Alstom claimed that the trains could enter service in time for the May 2001 timetable change. This date too was missed, and the trains did not go into squadron service until the next timetable change, in December 2001.

Description
    There are 14 Class 180 sets, numbered 180101-180114. There are five cars per unit: two Standard Class Driving Motors, two Standard Class Intermediate Motors and a First Class Intermediate Motor. All coaches are equipped with a Cummins QSK19 diesel engine, which develops 560 kW (750 hp) at 2,100 rpm.

The trains feature a hydraulic transmission, supplied by Voith which is a three-speed type, with integral hydrodynamic braking (rated at 750 kW short term, 420 kW continuous). These trains are the only diesel-powered high-speed trains in the world with diesel-hydraulic transmission. One bogie per coach is powered, with both axles driven. Total vehicle weight is 278 tonnes. The units feature Scharfenberg couplers.

Personally I would like to see these add to either Great Western Express (as they were era correct for 2015) OR as part of a standalone EastCoastMainline route as BOTH Grand Central and Hull Trains operate (or have operated in the past 5 years) the class 180 on the ECML. IF you were to make the ECML, Hull trains now operate the class 800 series in addition to LNER so 2 trains, one model. Should you make the class 180 Adelante this would be a great time to model toilets as in the class 180 Faults and Failures video (featuring Paul of course!!) the train looses Main Reservoir pressure due to a toilet malfunction causing a break failure, you would need to isolate the toilet air supply to continue going. That would make for a very unique scenario for the loco. In addition, you can model all the x901 cupboards and allow the player to use them in scenarios and NEW services.

Let me know what you think.
    Tubefan

• Like Like x 2
  2. tubefan1973

sorry for bumping this, but I forgot to say that as toilets would be included DTG Protagonist would be happy that his goal has been completed also, if you voted NAY please do feel free to explain why!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  3. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

A much needed dlc for the long ignored GWE. We need something more than just 3 types on this route. I have been saying this for a while now.

4. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

My vote is from a totally personal point of view.

I just don't like them. I don't know what it is. Maybe because there are from the same family as the 175s, and I hated having to travel on them. Especially when I was falling asleep and the side of the train seemed to move away from the seat. I did travel on 180s a few times with Northern, and Grand Central, nothing excited me about them though.

Saying that, if DTG did release one. I would still buy it, as I believe that buying your own countries DLC shows support to them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tubefan1973

other than that? just not a fan?

6. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

Just not a fan of the units. Although the last time I was on one, they did have a good bacon butty. That was GC.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Flush the toilet & You'll be going no where :D

Obviously I'm joking here but this would be a nice addition to TSW

8. tubefan1973

YEAH, I had an ace Sausage butty on GC, Hull Trains however had a TERRIBLY BAD Scrambled Egg on Toast

9. tubefan1973

No, that was my plan, have a scenario where that happens and you will be going EVERYWHERE as you cant break

• Like Like x 1