Settle To Carlisle Route

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by septafan, Nov 19, 2020.

1. septafan

septafan Active Member

How many miles is this route from settle to carlisle? Also can this be considered for train sim world 2? What equipment is currently used on this route.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Certainly longer than most if not all TSW routes, 75 miles or so I think, but I don't believe the length of a route presents any technical problems. A longer route inevitably takes more work to model. As to stock the line is very popular with rail tours so there's probably an excuse to run almost anything.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

I believe it's 72 miles. I can't see how route length is an issue here as it's mainly fairly empty countryside. I'm guessing that it's large urban areas that are the biggest challenge to model. Even Carlisle has a rather short and sparse entrance into the station there. With the new terrain tools they have, this route could be done quickly to a high standard.

I'd certainly like to see it in TSW, as it could do the route justice :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Being pretty local and having been on that line quite a few times, I'd definitely love to see this route as it has some spectacular scenery and engineering. Personally, I think the route would be best if made from Skipton (just under 87 miles) as it'd be a better end station than Settle and would provide train stabling facilities at Skipton Broughton Road Carriage Sidings. This would also give the opportunity to drive Leeds to Lancaster services between Skipton and Settle Junction.

If set in the present day it'd have to come with class 158 which is now the only regular passenger stock that operates on the line, in two, three and four car formations. The passenger timetable currently has nine trains in each direction along the main section of route, with more operating on the section between Skipton and Settle Junction.

Most freight trains are hauled by class 66s but there are a number of other locos that operate on the route. There's also a short branch running from the mainline to a quarry at Horton in Ribblesdale and also some sidings for the British Gypsum works at Kirkby Thore which could provide some interesting freight services.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  5. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

The TS route does just sort of peter out at the southern end so this sounds like a fine idea to me.

• Like Like x 2