Preserved Collection In Tsw2 From Dlc Already Installed In Tsw1?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ex-railwayman, Nov 12, 2020.

1. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

I've not seen anything about this on this forum, so, I'll ask the question.

I have the original TSW with nearly all the items of DLC released so far, all safely installed and working nicely.
    If I purchase TSW2 I presume it updates the base game automatically, just like TS2020, do all the routes and locomotives get automatically updated as well at the same time, my Preserved Collection, how does that side of things work, please, anybody.
    I have over 20 items of DLC, which altogether is over 50 GBs to install, which would take me over 2 hours to download with my current internet broadband speed.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  2. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Yes, it works the same way. The preserved collection routes are listed in the DLC tab for TSW2 as they were in TSW2020.

3. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

If you buy TSW2, it will install as a new, standalone game. However, you will be able to re-download any of your old routes and locos (excluding NEC and associated locos) without paying for them again. These add ons will need to be downloaded in full.

TSW2 is a totally new game. It will NOT update TSW2020, which will remain installed and untouched. This is not an upgrade to the previous game, as was the case going from TSW to TSW2020.

All progress will start from scratch in TSW2.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. ex-railwayman

Well, thank you very much for that info, I will need to make a bit more room on my hard drive for it then if it's a separate version altogether.
    This is also good news as i see that the NEC route and the GP40-2 and SW1000R won't be ported across, so, at least I can still play with them on the old version.

Cheerz. Steve.

5. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'd like to pose the opposite question: once all of the TSW "preserved collection" items have transferred to TSW2, can TSW be deleted to save HD space?

6. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

You'll need to keep TSW1 installed if you own and want to keep playing NEC: New York and the Amtrak switcher DLC, as its the only stuff not coming across to TSW2

The GP40-2 which was DLC for the original SPG also isn't coming over..

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Can't think of any reason not to unless you have NEC and want to keep playing it. Once BR Heavy Freight is ported, I will delete TSW.

8. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I was waiting for Heavy Freight too, but took the plunge already as I want the 75GB of space for other things! No more NEC sadly but I did see a new HS train coming out IRL for NEC (the Avelia Liberty) so maybe they will go back to that route once it gets up and running.

https://nec.amtrak.com/project/next-generation-high-speed-trains/

9. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Here's a question I don't know the answer to. Suppose you delete TSW now. When Heavy Freight comes across, would you have to reinstall TSW to claim your TSW2 copy?

10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I wondered that as I will be uninstalling TSW when Heavy Freight comes out. I suspect it won't port across if you don't have TSW installed. I imagine it may only be another couple of weeks away.

11. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

It will port across, TSW does not have to be installed.

I uninstalled TSW shortly after TSW2 launch, and have had no issues. All preserved collections and TSW purchases I recently made during the Steam sale have automatically been downloading to TSW2.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

No, all Steam does is check that you own it in your library, regardless of if it's installed. Not surehow it works on console but I think it's basically the same.

I bought Antichamber years ago, and never installed it on any PC. If the guys who made Antichamber gave everyone a free game, I'd get that free game despite having never installed Antichamber.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It is based on account ownership not whether it is installed or not...same as for PSN & Xbox accounts

14. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

So, I could eventually remove all of TSW1 except for the NEC route and the Amtrak switcher.

15. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

That is a good option actually the DLCs add up so if you deleted everything except NEC it would at least save some space.

16. ex-railwayman

Yes, you can leave a couple of routes and locos behind in your TSW1, but, you have to uninstall stuff that you don't want in your Steam account in the game, 'cos if you just delete the .PAK files out of the folder manually Steam will automatically put them back in again.

Cheerz. Steve.

17. hightower

hightower Guest

I did it the day the first preserved collection DLC’s came across. You don’t need TSW1 installed in any capacity for you to get the Preserved Collections for TSW2.

In the end I deleted TSW2020 in its entirety. There’s way too much content in TSW2 for me to ever touch NEC again sadly. Maybe one day, but I can always reinstall it.

18. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Yes. But you also can do it selectively. This and a lot of other questions are fully covered in the TSW2 Starters Guide, which you can download here for free:

https://www.hollandhiking.nl/trainsimulator