The Catch So I Did It Eventually But...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chizzckh, Nov 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Chizzckh

Chizzckh Active Member

So after vowing that I would not buy The Catch because I thought the dumping of FSW in such a short space of time to give us a rehashed version of the same thing, well, wasn't cool. I have now bought it, a mixture of seeing it at a heavily discounted price and a certain global event currently happening that has meant I have more time than I know what to do with.

I had kept an eye on the forum to see feedback after its release and I think it was fair to say what I read did make me think I had made the right choice by staying away. Having read the more recent comments and surprise, surprise because of the lack of support and info coming from Dovetail and some people saying they have dropped it already. Well that didn't make me feel much better about buying it.

The game itself is what I said it was, I rehashed FSW with things implemented in this that fans had been crying out for in the FSW. Forgetting my misgivings about the whole demise of FSW, The Catch is better from the initial several hours I have put into it so far. I like the new menu system far better, being able to check on species and change time of day in game is great. Better float fishing( depth changing),The increase in species to be caught, fantastic as well. Even got to like to a certain extent the "hook hold" meter and the subsequent heart beat that kicks in at points, although I will admit it does seem a bit random and not sure what the precursor is for it?

But this is the problem that even goes back as far as Euro Fishing. The bugs or should I say the same bugs. On at least 3 of The Catch venues within the first day of game play. I suffered the old land locked bug where the depth goes to zero on some random bit of shore line, the fish doesn't move and bang- Snap. How can we be three game generations in and the same problems are there? The other one is the fish fighting dynamics. In FSW the 6lb jack Pike caused you more issues with line snapping etc then the 40lb one. And again, especially with the hook hold meter now in play. I was finding that going berserk constantly with small 8lb carp etc but managed to haul in with little effort a 35lb Carp on 10lb line.

I see there is talk on the forum of Boss fish not being able to be caught. I have read Dovetails response that it is meant to be extremely difficult to catch them. And if that is by design then I applaud that, I don't want to catch the biggest carp in the lake 3 times in one session. Problem is, because of prior issues there is a mistrust that it isn't by design and you are unable to catch certain fish. That is not the users fault that we think like that, it comes of the back of years of mistrust built up with these bugs and lack of communication. I still ask myself even though there is an obvious attempt to tell the player that they must use correct baits, conditions, depths and methods to catch certain species and biggest fish, is that really a thing? For example I put on one lure and caught everything from Zander to Trout and Salmon, so does it really matter??

I could go on and the reason I have spent the time typing this is to air my frustrations with Dovetail once again and also the fact that I still don't think they actually realise how good a game they could have if they sorted these things and communicated a lot more. It is well presented graphicly, reasonably priced and even with the bugs a solid game but it could be so much more.

Yes there are things I would like to add and change, it still feels a carp game with other fish. I think it would be good if there was a quarterly patch released either free or for a very small price to update existing waters with new stock, new boss fish or alter the weights for existing ones for example. It would keep it fresh without the need to go down the endless DLC route.

Anyway... I can see the forum is pretty much dead, so not expecting much feedback or comment. And I guess much of what I have said has been aired over and over again already.

2. DTG Clarkey

DTG Clarkey Staff Member

Hi Chizzckh, thank you for taking the time to write this out. Some of the topics you have raised here are what drives a lot of our recent internal conversations around our current titles.

We hear the frustrations our players are having with the game and we also see what people enjoy or want to be added. We are working on our messaging with the community, we want to be clear with our direction and plans. We hope to have a more open dialogue with our players soon that will hopefully answer a lot of everyone's questions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chizzckh

Chizzckh Active Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply. This is a positive and I hope that this continues in terms of being open and engaging with the people that play.

As I said. Yes of course I have frustrations as do many. But I do genuinely enjoy the games from Euro Fishing through to now. I appreciate you can't please everyone but these games are good with the potential to be even better than that.

Sort the bugs and keep it fresh with new species and venues.

4. Boilie

Boilie New Member

The heartbeat indicates a Specimen fish is hooked. That’s the only time I ever hear it. And I 100 percent agree this game could be leagues better probably the best fishing game ever released if they got it together. But we can only wait and see

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. steph.vetters

steph.vetters Member

Dovetail: "Soon" (trademark pending) :(

• Like Like x 3
  6. salopbaggie

salopbaggie New Member

Dovetail talk the talk about listening to customers, but it appears that is where it ends. The OP referred to the disappointment of FSW being dropped after such a short while and the The Catch released with many of the same issues that people complained about in FSW.

I purchased The Catch a few days ago and raised an issue almost immediately and the response from support was just as the OP feared, it contained the line:

"We would like to thank our amazing fishing community for their support, but moving forward we have decided to allow the team to focus their time and resources on the new Bassmaster Fishing 2022 game. Therefore, there will be no further updates for our legacy fishing games, including Fishing Sim World and The Catch."

I should really have learnt my lesson with Dovetail Games after buying "Dovetail Games Flight School", then got a message, we are not going to progress this product, instead buy our "Flight Sim World" which I did, then after a few months we get another message, that is not being developed further. It seems to be the M.O. of Dovetail Games, the same thing, all over again and again, you buy a product from them, then shortly find out it is no longer being properly supported.

7. xi haoyu china

xi haoyu china Active Member

fine yes