Mostly "forgotten" Railroad In Nyc

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by proluigigamer01, Nov 19, 2020.

1. proluigigamer01

proluigigamer01 Active Member

How about the Staten Island Railway, it has r44s, is short (i think) and is scenic.
    plus sooner or later theyll be getting r211s and im pretty sure they have more than a few diesels along the route

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  2. proluigigamer01

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This would be a nice, self contained route for TSW 2 if DTG can sort licensing etc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

On the topic of licensing DTG has MTA branding in both Sims (New Haven line,Hudson Line in TSxx)-(LIRR & M3 in TSW) So I'm sure they can get licensing :D

• Like Like x 7
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Gets my vote...

• Like Like x 3
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I rather have the nyc subway instead of the staten island railray personally

7. proluigigamer01

yeah but its SHORT, dovetail can give us a COMPLETE nyc route

• Like Like x 1
  8. alan.bwayo

alan.bwayo New Member

I like that Idea! The subway would also be nice! Wonder why they never do subways often...

• Like Like x 3
  9. migmadmarine

migmadmarine Member

What is going on in that third image there?

10. thechickencow1

thechickencow1 Active Member

It looks like the subway needed help

11. tallboy7648

I don't think that because it's short that this should be the first one they do

12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Great suggestion. I would buy it, no question.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

It should be the first one though. It’s the shortest and least complicated.

Then they should move to the L and 7, and then one of the big trunk lines like the 4,5,6 or A,C,E.

As long as we can get another MTA route in the game. It doesn’t matter if it’s SIR cuz that’s basically part of the Subway (even if it’s not classified as one).

• Like Like x 3
  14. tallboy7648

I don't want something made because it's the shortest. Also there is pretty much no variety in this railroad anyway. Also Staten Island is bascially the forgtton borough of New York City because is because of these factors according to thrillst.com

Have you actually been to Staten Island? Like reallybeen to Staten Island? If you’ve taken the Ferry to St. George only to make a U-turn inside the terminal and get on the same boat to go back to Manhattan, then NO, you haven’t. Many are guilty of it, but why do we treat Staten Island this way? Why not leave the terminal, walk around a bit, have a bite to eat, and maybe (dare I say it) even look for an affordable apartment out there? Living and working on Staten Island for 10 years has given me some insight into the Forgotten Borough, including why New Yorkers treat it like the redheaded stepchild of the city, and why we should be paying a little more attention to it. First, let’s get the negative out of the way…

Getting to the Island is hard
    Staten Island is the ONLY borough that doesn’t have a subway to Manhattan. The ferry is a nice ride, but it only makes one stop in St. George, and you have to take a bus or a train to get to another neighborhood. If you’re going to the South Shore of the Island, that could take up to another hour after you get off the boat. Want to drive to Staten Island? You better bring $16 cash for the Verrazano Bridge toll ($11.08 if you have an E-ZPass). If it makes you feel any better, it’s only a one-way toll.

Cultural attractions can't compete with those in other boroughs
    S.I. has a zoo, some museums, a botanical garden, and a few other cool places to visit, but (going back to the transportation issue), they're hard to get to without a car, and not nearly as impressive as their counterparts in other boroughs.

There’s a lack of diversity
    As of July 2015, Staten Island was 76.6% white according to the U.S. Census Bureau. In addition to the serious implications of having such a white-dominant demographic, there’s also a serious lack of diversity in the borough's food scene. Pizzerias and Italian restaurants reign supreme on Staten Island, and most have been around for decades (meaning you won’t find the latest food trends or cutting-edge culinary creations here). The Italian places on S.I. are mostly old-school, red-sauce joints that got their recipes from grandma. While they make excellent food, none of them seem to have that Di Fara quality that will get people to make a pilgrimage.

Every now and then, Staten Islanders threaten to secede from the city
    It turns out, #Stexit was the OG #Brexit. In 1993, Staten Island took a vote and 65% of the population opted to leave the city of New York. Long story short: they were feeling underrepresented by then-Mayor Dinkins. Things got better for them under Giuliani and the talk of leaving faded away. But now that the UK did it, talks of secession are surfacing again as a possibility, especially since the more conservative parts of the borough are once again feeling ignored by Mayor de Blasio.

I don't even consider the Staten Island Railroad a subway because it's not a subway at all. I've been on it actually and it's such a basic bland route so if this were to be released, I would not buy it

15. ZeenozPlays

Why would you quote a whole article on Staten Island just to say you don’t want the SIR in the game?

I have to go to Staten Island every year to visit family members, I get on the 4/5 to Bowling Green and take the Ferry to the SIR. I like the SIR because it’s the only MTA Line that still uses R44’s. It would be best for DTG to consider this. We are still in a pandemic, they don’t have the time and the resources to go out and research the whole of the F or Q lines (just naming some other lines). Also, it’s their first Subway line in NYC (even if SIR isn’t “considered” a subway), we don’t want them to mess up BADLY with a mainline route. So, SIR is the best option, easiest to make, nice scenery (with the water and all the greenery), a decent amount of stations, nice rolling stock, and an interesting service pattern.

• Like Like x 4
  16. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

This would be a great addition to Train Sim World 2. It is not too difficult to get to Staten Island, Either take the 4 or 5 train to Bowling Gree, 1 train to South Ferry, or the R/W train to Whitehall street. You can also take the S79 SBS from Bay Ridge to Staten Island. I have been on the Staten Island Railway before. While the modified R44 (R44S) meets FRA requirements, I will consider the ride on the Staten Island Railway to be a hybrid between subway and commuter rail. Similar to the Path train in a way. For the other lines in the system, for now, we have OpenBVE which does a good job recreating the subway system for the most part

• Like Like x 2
  17. proluigigamer01

lets just get staten island. its a start for the nyc subway ffs
    (because of the railroad nature of the sirr sometimes 3rd rail is not aviable i think hence diesels)

• Like Like x 1
  18. proluigigamer01

fyi im from ozone park, i dont want rather NEED the a line but the sirr is much more down to earth and something we can get easily before q2 2021

19. proluigigamer01

Winter diesel

20. OldVern

Actually I must admit having watched a YT clip of someone riding the train (I couldn't find a cab ride), it does look a bit bland. Basically a straight 40 minute journey up and down with little variety, pretty much identikit stations. The terminus at St George looks nice but in terms of fun factor, this is essentially a slightly longer Isle Of Wight. More suited to someone making a freeware version in TS, MSTS or Trainz I would respectfully suggest.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ZeenozPlays

I would agree, yes the stations are a little bland (with the exception of a few). IOW is wasn’t much different in terms of stations. I feel like this route would be better though, it’s in more of a city area.

The service pattern with some of the trains running express would make the route more interesting. It’s not about the stations, but about the scenery and rolling stock.

• Like Like x 1
  22. tallboy7648

You bascially summed up what the Staten Island Railway is. The rolling stock is meh as well. And I'm sure if this roue was released, it would be riddeled with bugs like all routes that get released. This railway is nothing special to be honest and I would rather a MTA New York City Subway line instead of this. Also this is not a subway line, IT IS A RAILROAD. I also agree that perhaps this would be better off as a freeware version on Train Simulator 2021 or any other game.

23. tallboy7648

I mean hey people should know why Staten Island is the forgotten borough of New York City

24. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

14 miles, 21 stations... comparable to the Bakerloo Line. It would be interesting to see a US subway in the game.

• Like Like x 3
  25. tallboy7648

This is not a subway, it's a railroad

26. ZeenozPlays

It’s only considered a railroad by the FRA. MTA designation is Subway. Reason why it uses the Metrocard.

• Like Like x 2
  27. proluigigamer01

i suggested this route because of its simplistic qualities, its obviously not what anyone wants to see of the nyc subway but its a start

• Like Like x 2
  28. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I agree, I can look forward to any MTA related content in the simulator

• Like Like x 2
  29. tallboy7648

Im not sure the simplicity of this railroad would make it a good sell to customers

30. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Having a route in NYC where nobody has the chance to spend years asking over and over again for an extension that’s never going to come would make a refreshing change. Full route, two proper termini, everybody’s happy tra-la-la la-laa!

• Like Like x 1
  31. ZeenozPlays

IOW is simple but people were excited for that (before it launched with all those bugs/glitches)

32. ZeenozPlays

PORT WASHINGTON BRANCH!

But for real, if they would just include the full route in the first place, we wouldn’t have all these threads about extensions.

• Like Like x 2
  33. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There are limits to what they can build for the budget, so long urban lines are as unlikely as extensions. I drove a service last night from NY Penn to Hicksville and it took 53 minutes, so LIRR is by no means a short route for gameplay time. Different branch lines would be nice but it would be better overall at the moment for there to be fully contained routes that are of TSW length, as extensions aren’t happening. This one’s a bit short really both in terms of miles and driving time. Something in between maybe.

34. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, I would love if there were to be a NYC subway route within TSW, but the Staten Island Railway would be far down on the list of recommended subway routes. I think there would be far better options than this, purely because the SIR would not capture that feel of the extensive subway system of New York. That hustle and bustle feel of rush hour, driving through miles of underground tunnels, making frequent stops.
    The SIR doesn't exactly have any of that. If anything, its more akin to the Isle of Wight, where its a separated line using old subway stock on an open scenic route.
    It would be a poor choice to have this line, as opposed to something more iconic and more representative of the NYC subway experience.

Seeing as they pulled off the Bakerloo Line, its not a far stretch to believe that they're capable of doing a full blown route, something like the A/C/E or the Lexington Ave. Line. Routes like HMA were far more ambitious

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  35. ZeenozPlays

If you suggest that they dive straight in, I HEAVILY suggest the 6 or 7. Just for the former R142A’s and R62A’s.

36. OldVern

Looking at older maps of Staten Island, isn't this line actually the stub of what was once a more comprehensive network? (A bit like IOW!) Setting it historically could add more appeal.

37. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

That would be a sick idea actually! They can set the route in a time where there was a transition period, when the R62A's were being phased out, and the R188 cars were slowly being phased in on the 7 Line between 2014 and 2018. This way you can get a taste of both old and new, each with their own unique characteristics. Even if the 7 Line isn't chosen, I would strongly recommend that they take this transition-period idea into consideration! :)

• Like Like x 1
  38. ZeenozPlays

Idk how they would make the rolling stock if they made it wayyyyyyy back then. The North Shore line closed in the 50’s.

• Like Like x 1
  39. ZeenozPlays

BOOM! I wasn’t even thinking about setting it in the transition period but that idea is genius. I just need the traction motor sound of the R142A/188 in TSW, and the cozy feeling of the R62A.

• Like Like x 1
  40. migmadmarine

migmadmarine Member

have to admit, seeing subway cars pulled by what seem to be a variant of the GP38 does amuse me.

Edit: Ah, I see these are called "BL20Gs", look kinda cool.

• Like Like x 1
  41. proluigigamer01

basically modern gp38s lel

42. tallboy7648

I agree. Yes it's short and would probably be simple to do but it wouldn't capture the feel of the new york city subway. Hell this is a railroad, not a subway. I think a modern subway line like the 1,2, and 3 trains or if you really want to make it easy for them, maybe the J, Z and L trains would be a good starting point. The 7 train as well but it's in World Of Subways 4 so a modern version of that line would be cool. Personally I would want them to go all in with like the 1, 2 and 3 trains or the A,C and E trains but with their track record, I would suspect there would be some problems bug wise. I also wouldn't want a subway line set in a older time period. A subway line in 2020 or 2021 and beyond would be fine for me.

43. tallboy7648

The Port Washington Branch is only 18.1 miles with 13 stations and it has nice landmarks when it goes through Queens such as Citi Field where the New York Mets Baseball team plays, The Arthur Ashe Stadium( Home to The U.S Open) and Flushing which is the Chinatown of Queens and in my opinion the best Chinatown in New York City. So if they were to Extend the Port Washington branch that's already in tsw2, they would just need to add 11 extra stations and 15 miles of extra track from Woodside to Port Washington and change the Car Consists from a 6 car to a 8, 10 and 12 car because 6 cars don't run on the Port Washington Branch in real life so that should be an easy extension to do instead of sticking with the stupid shuttle service from Penn Station to Woodside

• Like Like x 2
  44. ZeenozPlays

The 1,6,7, or L Trains would be a good place to start with NYC Subway if they aren’t doing the SIR. I don’t think it would be good for them to do a full trunk line first, just because of how big the Lexington Av Line or 7 Av Line is. We wouldn’t want them to have the same issues with HMA where console players have horrible frame rates and don’t get access to certain things.

• Like Like x 2
  45. tallboy7648

Yeh i wouldn't want those same issues. Hopefully with the next gen consoles out, dtg can maximize the pontential for console players