Impossible Gold Medal Issue

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sparkster, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

Greetings everyone.

This might not be the best spot to say hello to everyone but hear me out. I have encountered an issue.

Since yesterday I have tackled the Northern-Trans-Pennine line from the Perserved collection. There is a scenario called "Driving Rain" where the gold medal is obtained by 7.000 points. But you can't get that amount of points, no matter how good you operate. I have also seen Discord messages where some services have impossible gold medals, too. If you read this, could you please find a way to decrease the points required for gold? Thanks in advance.

Sparkster

2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Medals?? We get medals for driving trains.... never gave them much mind, life is much more pleasant that way. :)

Seriously, the medals were added after many of the preserved routes were first released. Since the medals were added after the fact there are several instances where gold is not obtainable and to be honest, they mean nothing anyway, but that being said I am sure it would be nice to have the scores to be obtainable for those who care.

• Like Like x 1
  3. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I've always had issues getting gold medals on NTP especially with the Class 101 stopping at all stations. Always 5-10 minutes late by the end.

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It’s not like collecting medals or AP gives anything tangible, such as reward points that could be redeemed against DLC.

5. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

True, however it should still work. Sometimes there's the personal satisfaction of getting a gold on every service. Gives people goals etc

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If it's anything like the points system in TSx then you have to drive badly (ie overaccelerating and overbraking) to keep to time and in some cases it's impossible where they've altered the physics of the loco, but not re-edited the scenario to change the timings. I would suggest however that this sort of thing should go in the bug reports section rather than general discussion. Should be easy enough for Adam and his team to look up and check that the timings are actually achievable

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Yes, it's a rough measure showing that you generally did what was expected of you in driving the route -- if we don't get a gold medal, I think most of us run the route again later so we can prove to ourselves we can get it right. But, it is worth mentioning that Gold Medals really are only a very 'rough' measure of quality performance because the medal doesn't seem to measure much more than adherence to schedule, speed restrictions, and compliance with any instructions we were given.

So, for example, your commuter train can race into every station at breathtaking speed, slam on maximum brakes at the last moment, and manage to stop somewhere near the Haltestelle. Hardly the "comfortable stop" we are told about in training and certainly not 'good' driving, nevertheless, the driver still gets a Gold Medal. :o

I'm sure there are lots of other sins and omissions that aren't taken into account when Gold Medals are awarded, but it's 5am here and I'm hardly awake.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  8. LeadCatcher

oh Lordy, do we need “participation” medals for everything we do now days.... sorry but I am from a different generation where most people were average and only a few who really excelled were recognized. I would be happier with only the numerical scores being given, that way you see where you lost points and could strive to not lose those points if that matter to you.

I get greater satisfaction from making a clean run, making a single brake application when entering a station, properly accelerating for passenger safety, driving to the elements and visibility rather than the track speed, you know, make the decisions a real world driver needs to make. But that is me, if you consider it a problem, then submit a ticket. I feel that would be a much better way than just posting on the forum. It gets the problem documented in their system.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LucasLCC

It's quite simple. They've added the feature to the game, therefore it should work as intended... If they didn't add medals in the first place, then I'd agree with you, however they've added them already.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LeadCatcher

So did you submit a ticket on this problem then?

11. LucasLCC

Medals not being awarded correctly has been logged in many tickets and in many threads on bug report forum. This thread could be moved their too, however that's up to DTG staff to decide...

12. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

If there are tickets about this issue submitted, why didn't DTG get a move on and fix this?
    Btw... you can move this topic to the bug report section, if someone's able to.

13. LeadCatcher

So I take it that is a no, you didn’t submit a ticket. I would suggest the more tickets submitted, the more attention the issue will get, if it is that important to you a ticket will only help your position on the issue.

14. LucasLCC

As I've already said, I've submitted many tickets for various medals not correctly being rewarded. I've not done this scenario myself, so have not come across the issue yet. However if and when I do, I will log a ticket.

15. LeadCatcher

I am sorry, I misunderstood you first response, I do think it is imperative to submit tickets on the items we find incorrect. While discussing it in the forums is good to inform or confirm others experiences, the trouble ticket submission will get/keep it on the firm’s radar. I do hope they get these irritants ironed out. Best.

16. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

Well. I didn't submit a ticket. Not sure if I want to...