Make Loco Add-ons Truly Stand-alone (no Route Requirement)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Purno, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The DB BR420 was one of my favourite trains in Train Simulator, so I was happy to see it appear on the roadmap today. However, I don't own Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr (because I really do not need yet another modern German route...). I guess this means there's no point in buying the BR420.

The route add-on dependencies for loco add-ons is silly. I suggest to ged rid of it ASAP. The current systems will only bring more limitations as the number of add-ons created grows.

Make it work like Train Simulator, where routes were only required to run a set of scenarios, but loco add-ons could be used freely in Quick Drive, Free Roam and user created scenarios.

• Like Like x 11
  2. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Perhaps divide the development team into seperate route and train teams.

3. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

well they are porting it to the other routes, i dont own HRR but i have other german routes like MSB and RRO

4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

With the current system, you will need that one specific route, or you won't be able to use your loco on any of your routes. That's the whole problem with this system. All loco add-ons require one specific route.

• Like Like x 1
  5. migmadmarine

migmadmarine Member

Matt did say in a recent stream that this is something they want to figure out.

6. Nidhish Inumala

Nidhish Inumala Active Member

This could be a good thing but is does make the game much more realistic (lets drive a DB BR 420 on the Peninsula Corridor- not gonna hapen)

7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Quite an extreme example. How about a Class 101 on West Somerset's diesel gala?

Either way, the problem is that substitutions don't even works when you don't own the loco's "home" route. For example, you can use the DB BR155 on MSB and RRO as a substitution, but only if you own RSN. If you don't own RSN, you can't use your BR155 on any route at all. That's the limitation I'm talking about.

Being realistic or not is another discussion. We're purely talking about unnecessary route dependencies for loco add-ons.

8. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

There seem to be technical reasons for this, i.e. when building the loco they rely on assets from a specific route, and not having that route means missing those assets so you will not be able to use it. But it would definitively benefit everyone if there would be a way to make locos work without owning specific DLCs. It doesn't mean it will be included in the Peninsula Corridor timetable, but that you could use it (e.g. in scenario editor or livery designer) regardless of which DLCs you actually own.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

That's good to know. I wish DTG would communicate things like these on the forums as well. Streams aren't really a good way to find specific information you're looking for. You'd basically be watching an hour or more without even knowning you're gonna find the answer you're looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

ISTR this (420) had superb sound in Railworks, not unlike one of our old AM10 (Class 310) EMUs which used to operate out of Euston in the 60's, 70's and early 80's. Would be great to see it ported over to TSW2.

11. Nidhish Inumala

ok yes that is a good point- i thought it was you can just buy whatever you want and have it everywhere

12. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

What they could do is make a short tutorial route that all the tutorials would take place in - and every single loco would be tied to this route. This route would be included with the base game - that way everyone would have it and everyone could get a loco DLC and do the tutorials on the tutorial route. Also for routes they can still include locos - but tie them into this tutorial route instead of the new route - but just include the locos in the package when you buy it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Nidhish Inumala

That's a great idea but it might be confusing

14. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

That's basically what they did in Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 1