PlayStation Dash 8 In The House

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Gronk Honker, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Gronk Honker

Gronk Honker Active Member

Got the C40-8W out and hauling coal from Rockwood to Cumberland on N542. A nice summer day, a bit cloudy. No glaring issues so far, just amused at how quick I’ll complete the trophy set — 50mph, 5 services and 40 miles LOL.

• Like Like x 2
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

50 mph? You will lose your license... :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

The trophy set with German texts shows a troubling flaw: the high speed trophy is said to require 50 mph (ok) but 113 kph (how's that?).

Someone surely uses conversion factors of a different universe, can't think of another and more obvious solution. XD

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

So it's not out here yet in the US, can you tell me if any services have been added to timetable mode, or if the new loco just subs in on existing ones?

Thanks!

5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

• Like Like x 2
  6. Disintegration7

• Like Like x 1
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s what I said when I read the same post. Then I read yours and it made me chuckle.

As Sand Patch is the route I spend most time in when using TSW2 (partly down to its long drive times and it working well in terms of stability), I think I might take a punt on this at midnight. I haven’t bought any of the other things I want but this looks like it might bring me some joy and be worth the full asking price. The extra services might just have swung it.

• Like Like x 3
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Just can't wait to see THIS in cab. I am looking forward to tomorrow's stream :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Costpap

Costpap Member

It’s already midnight here, so the locomotive is available for me. I already completed the tutorial, tbh the locomotive isn’t that bad. The cab is basically the same design as the AC4400CW, but less modernized. It doesn’t have an IFD, it pretty much resembles the analogue gauges, MU-2A valve and brake cut out as the GP38-2 and SD40-2. I think I’ll spend quite some time driving this locomotive, I prefer it more than the SD40-2. I assume that it’ll add a bit more variety to the route as well. It’s just a pity that it only comes in YN2 livery, it’d be better in YN3 as a lot of CSX locomotives are in that livery but it is non-existent in TSW2.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

And the sound?

11. Costpap

Costpap Member

I didn't pay much attention to it. I just wanted to buy it as soon as possible. I've only completed the tutorial so far, I have barely scratched the surface of it. I'll listen to the sound tomorrow, but for now, I just need some sleep in all honesty.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Disintegration7

Haha that's awesome. Yeah i'm gonna get this at midnight, SPG is my most played route as well, so some extra traffic is much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It's... honestly horrible. The AC440CW engine sounds are reused (including traction motors), and all the clicks/switches and horn & bell give me flashbacks to MSTS. Not impressed. The interior looks really nice but there's no getting around all of the compressed sounds.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I really didn’t want to be the first person to put in a bug report for the Dash 8. But I was the first person to put in a bug report for the Dash 8. Sigh.

PS ...it wasn’t for the wobbly wheel on the coal wagon, that bug report can wait for another day. I’m off to bed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The sounds?

16. Callum B.

Banking Comm doesn't work, according to his bug report thread anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Slemcer

I think every customer of DTG wants the DLCs to be free of bugs and other annoying things, but up to now there really was not even a single DLC without most obvious flaws. This applies to the preserved collection as well as all DLCs which have been released originally for TSW2.
    Sadly we have to admit that they don't seem able to achieve this.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Costpap

Costpap Member

The issue with the Banking Comm should be fairly easy to fix imo, if it doesn't get fixed then I am going to be dissapointed. Not like I'm already not, considering how instead of fixing Powering America Part 1 and N452-A, they just removed the troublesome parts for both.

19. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

What exactly did they do with those two?

20. Costpap

Costpap Member

From what I've read about Powering America (I haven't played the scenario for myself, so I'm not certain), about half of the scenario was removed. As for N452-A, the starting point was moved forwards, in order to avoid the SPAD. Personally, it doesn't change a lot for N452-A, but removing half of a scenario definitely is a big change. Either way, I'd rather see them get fixed than be lazily removed.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Slemcer

About Powering America, I've tried it before the "fix" and was unable (like many others) to get past a certain objective, so I couldn't finish it.
    It's a coal loading operation at Rockwood Mine with 25 coal hoppers and using the slow speed control of the AC4400CW. When the cars were loaded you had to couple them to another waiting train, and then move the whole consist to Rockwood Junction.
    The last part, driving to Rockwood Junction, could not be done without workarounds, but now it's been simply removed from the scenario.
    But it's not only this, there also seems to be a new issue now, and some old issues have not been fixed.
    See my thread in the tech report section. (link)

• Like Like x 1
  22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Obviously with Powering America Part 1, I couldn’t finish it so gave up and sat back to patiently wait for a fix. I think I did Part 2 but would have to check. The thing with those two scenarios is they follow on from one another. So they now no longer follow on?

I thought the trains in these scenarios were doing pretty ordinary railroad things like loading and driving, on a railroad with switches and signals. Am I now to believe that DTG can’t make their trains do ordinary railroad things on their own railroad, so they just give up? That is at the very least quite odd.

I’m interested to see if the issues I’ve spotted on the Dash 8 are also present in the PC release.

They are so far... the banking comm not working (as reported in technical forum), the wonky wheel on the coal wagon, the windows not being able to be opened from the outside plus the controls not being able to be operated through the open window (as can be done on all other locos), and a couple of sound things that will need further investigation before I would consider them bugs.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...thanks for the detailed info, I'm playing with the idea to expand my American collection and the C40-8W or Dash 8 looks very promising. In the first screenshots I could see that the driver's cab isn't quite as modern as the one from the AC4400 or Dash 9. Without the IFD it might be easier to start the loco, without tapping the (small) screen.

Dash8 vs. Dash9.jpg

24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Glad I completed Powering America before this "fix ", even though it required some gameplay gymnastics which may not have been possible on console. I don't consider lopping off the part of a scenario that doesn't work to be an elegant solution.
    By the way, what's the story on the patches for SPG, does anyone have them yet.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Costpap

Costpap Member

You’re welcome! I’d recommend that if you don’t mind the sounds, hold off until the Banking Comm issue gets fixed and then buy it.

26. Callum B.

I will stand corrected, at least partially. It seems that there are some audio quality issues with the recording that weren't present in today's stream. So, the MSTS-esque sound compression does not appear to be a problem. However, it should be noted that several sounds are still inaccurate. But at least I am no longer entirely disgusted.

27. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

It's the same thing, different release. Same awful K5, same bell, same prime-mover sounds as the AC44. The model? Awesome. Everything else? Recycled and incorrect.

28. Gronk Honker

Gronk Honker Active Member

Having now completed the trophy set in record time for me, very happy with this one. Yeah the sounds aren’t correct, but coincidentally pandemic vs live recording. I can suck that up. All in all a fun driving experience, with sweet handling, and much more enjoyable than the AC44, my previous favourite.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Greenroad

Greenroad Active Member

I got it on the PS4 and the sounds are the least of my worries. I’ve attempted 6 services with the dash8 and have only been able to complete 3 fully(one being a short coal loading service). The frame rate is awful and the D8 crashes the game way too much

30. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

somehow I'm not really warming up with the / 8. So is the dyn with me. The brake is deactivated, although the switch on the switch box has been activated. How can I activate it?

Thank you :)

31. Slemcer

Did that old Mercedes model really have a dynamic brake? XD

32. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Found out! The dyn. The brake is integrated in the throttle, so R1 for decelerating.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020