Route Proposal: Pennsylvania Railroad Sandusky Branch

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by JessicaKasumi, Feb 17, 2018.

1. JessicaKasumi

JessicaKasumi Member

The other day I was watching 'Steam and Diesel on the Pennsylvania Railroad Volume 2: Ohio' by Herron Rail, and I got to thinking, 'What if the Sandusky Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad was in Train Simulator?' I propose this route as a nice slice on Midwest railroading on the Standard Railroad of the World. I am thinking about proposing the line to be depicted between 1955 and 1960. At this time, freight was abound as passenger service had ended in the 1930's. The line saw a lot of freight, but one commodity stood out: coal. The Pennsylvania Railroad interchanged coal from the Norfolk and Western Railway at Columbus, and trains traveled up the Sandusky Branch trundling coal to the coal docks in Sandusky, Ohio.
    Typical locomotives used at this time were the Pennsylvania Railroad's class J1 2-10-4 which was based off of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway's class T-1 2-10-4 due to Wartime Restrictions during the Second World War.
    [​IMG]
    A Pennsylvania Railroad J1 at Bellevue, Ohio crossing over the Nickel Plate Road as it works its way north to Sandusky with coal.

Local freight trains were handled by the class H10 2-8-0 Consolidations. Also of note, between 1956 and 1957, several oil burning 2-10-4's of the 5000 series were loaned from the great Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Also common to a lesser extent were the class I1s 2-10-0 Decapod. Diesels came about around 1956 or so, but didn't take over until 1957. In 1964, the Pennsylvania Railroad sold the line to the Norfolk and Western as part of the 1964 lease of the Nickel Plate Road.
    http://www.columbusrailroads.com/new/?menu=05Steam_Railroads&submenu=15Pennsylvania_Railroad
    http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Prr/Maps/Itlk/itlk_col_san_main.html
    The following links are to sites that contain information, track diagrams, interlocking diagrams and photos of the Sandusky Line. Look forward to hearing some of your opinions.
    Jessica

• Like Like x 4
  2. GP40Man5528

GP40Man5528 Active Member

A believe at one point that PRR leased some of Santa Fe's 2-10-4s for use on the Sandhusky branch. (Look below)

3. JessicaKasumi

JessicaKasumi Member

Yes, they were loaned by the PRR in 1956, and went home the following year. They weren't the only foreign engines operating on the Pennsy. Also in 1956, several Reading Company T-1 4-8-4's were loaned to the PRR, and returned later in the year, only to never steam again.

4. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Good write up on the route. A lot of information to be had on it!