Ts Will Not Start

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sharon E, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

For some reason, my TS will not launch today. I have run the validation and the first time it found issues and downloaded new files. I re ran the validation to ensure it was ok and this time it gave me the green light on the integrity of the install, yet it still does not load for me. The only thing I can think of at this point is at total uninstall and reinstall of the game. TSW2 runs fine. If this is the case, I will wait since I am in the final stages of buying a new desktop system. One thing I can think of is yesterday I made some changes to the video setting, but don't know how that would effect the overall ability of the game to load.

2. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Sharon
    If it is failing to load at all ie you prress play in steam and nothing happens - you may have corrupted the playerprofiles.bin file - here's how to fix it - if that is the problem:
    BLURB: Fix for when you think that you have corrupted your Monitor Resolution Settings or Have different resolution settings in MS Windows NATIVE/default resolution settings to those in TS 2020.
    LCD/LED Monitors work best at their NATIVE resolution.
    Find yours from the manufacturer of your monitor. https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/14216/windows-7-getting-best-display-on-your-monitor
    "FIX": Close TS and Steam and navigate to
    \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Content and delete/rename the playerprofiles.bin file, eg rename to something like playerprofiles.bin.ori - (ignore Windows dire warnings)
    Restart Steam and then TS 2020 allowing the latter to rebuild the graphics/monitor settings file.
    If this works and TS 2020 opens, then reset your graphics/monitor settings within TS 2020.
    Keep the resolution in TS2020 the same as the default windows setting.
    NB: Verifying the Integrity of Game files will not FIX this.

If it actually starts but then crashes as it is checking the scenario database then you could have a corrupt workshop scenario, you need to check if you have downloaded any recently and unsubscribe from it/them via Steam. I can post a method if you think that this was the error you experienced.

3. Sharon E

Thanks Peter and yes Steam did download an update to workshop just before this happened. Would like that fix also, thanks again

4. Peter Hayes

Hi Sharon not a steam UPDATE per se but did you download a scenario from the Steam Workshop yesterday or recently?
    A steam update should NOT affect TS - otherwise none of us would be able to run TS.:)

5. Sharon E

No Peter, I have not recently downloaded any scenario though did purchase the 2 routes that deal with the Berinia Pass route in Switzerland. Also I have tried what you suggested about and TS will not start long enough before crashing to even rebuild the files.

6. Peter Hayes

Sharon
    OK then it was NOT your video settings that caused the issue or a Workshop item - so my WS scenario 'fix' won't work.
    Looks like this is now beyond my pay grade.
    Hope you get it fixed.

7. Sharon E

Peter, again thanks, I am in the process of doing an uninstall/reinstall of TS so hope this works.

8. Sharon E

OK, I am at a loss now. The reinstall of TS did not solve whatever the issue is and the game will still not load. So will submit a ticket and if anyone has ideas I would certainly like to hear them.

9. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I know it sounds obvious Sharon, but have you started it from within steam?.

Mike

10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If you have the disc space, copy the "content" and "assets" folder out of your railworks folder to somewhere else on your hard disk, the assets are more important than the content (generally)
    Once all files are copied:
    Uninstall train simulator from within steam, allow it to remove what it thinks it's going to
    Go back into your railworks folder and it's likely there's still things in there. Delete them all

Reinstall train sim from steam and all the folders will be remade.
    Run train sim "vanilla" as in without installing any new add ons or anything not from steam.
    If it works then continue, if not then go to the bottom paragraph

You can then copy the assets folder back in from the backup
    I would recommend installing third party routes from fresh downloads, but if you've made any third party scenarios these will have been backed up in the content folder, you can copy them back into the correct folder in your new "content" folder

If the above hasn't worked then it COULD be a registry issue, so I might suggest changing the installation location which would rebuild the reg keys
    If you need instructions on this come back and we'll work those out

11. Sharon E

Mike, this is the only way I start TS since I run the 64 bit version.

ARuscoe, thank you for this suggestion, I will give this a try when I have time. Though at this point I will just probably not reinstall since I will be getting a new PC soon and that would be a pristine install from Steam.

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Both RailWorks.exe (for 32 bit) and RailWorks64.exe are in your \steamapps\common\railworks folder.
    Create a shortcut and stick them on the Desktop

Have you checked your Graphics card driver if you changed the Video settings?

13. Sharon E

ARuscoe, your suggestion did not help with the problem, so will just wait to do the clean install on the new desktop. If its a registry issue this will cure it anyway when I do a clean install on the new platform.

14. Peter Hayes

AR
    If the above hasn't worked then it COULD be a registry issue, so I might suggest changing the installation location which would rebuild the reg keys
    If you need instructions on this come back and we'll work those out

Could you please elaborate as this could be useful to other simmers? Thanks!

15. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

16. Sharon E

Read the thread that JJ pointed to and when I start TS, it does not even get as far as these people did. I get to the "Preparing to Launch" box and it then dumps me back to the Steam main window with the 'Start' button back. Mine could very well be a registry issue but with my now having purchased a new desktop I will do a clean install to that boxes SSD drive.

17. Sharon E

Just an update, I have setup my new desktop and TS runs fine on it. I would guess that the problems noted in this thread were somehow related to my old Alien,

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sharon E

Well, I am now back at square one. After installing on my new desktop and it playing great, I, like an idiot, tweaked the settings and now it is doing the same thing it did on the old computer. Is there any way to go into the ini files and restore the settings since I cannot get to them inside the game anymore. Please HELP!!! The only other thing I can think of this time is totally uninstall all of DTG and also Steam and start with a clean install of all of them since just doing TS did not help last time.

19. Sharon E

Alright, doing a total uninstall including Steam, this included going into the files and wiping everything left after the uninstall, then reinstalling everything cured the issue. I would think that this points to some shared file that was either in the DTG general files or within Steam. At this point I do not care and TS is working again. You had better believe that I will not touch the video settings within TS again.

20. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Welcome back.

21. Sharon E

22. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Seems to me you're trying to get your monitor to display settings that it just cannot handle, you say you bought a new PC I'm going to hazard a guess that didn't include a new monitor, like Peter Hayes said all you need to do if you naff up your settings is delete the PlayerProfiles.bin located in *Your drive letter (commonly C)*:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Content.

If you can not see the .bin extension at the end of the file (or any other extension like .exe or .zip for example) then you'll also need to enable file name extensions.

To enable file name extensions..
    1) Open a folder
    2) Click on the "View" tab in the to left region of that folder window
    3) Click on the check box next to where it says "File name extensions"
    Image3.jpg

Also just for reference I've highlighted in yellow the PlayerProfiles.bin file that you need to delete if you ever bork your video settings again

23. Sharon E

Thanks Reef, I will kept this in mind if it happens again, though hopefully it won't, ha ha.

24. Peter Hayes

Yes. But to be sure delete the "corrupt' version before you copy back your backup version - just in case overwrite doesn't work.