Train Sim World. Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by kosti.nuuja, Dec 1, 2020.

1. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

No. I'm sorry. In my opinion, it's not worth it. The name "Train Sim World" is delusive, because it contains only five countries. There are many countries in TS20xx such as Netherlands, Austria, Japan, South Africa, China, India etc. A better name for TSW would be "Train Simulator a New Era". The Train Sim World 2 preserved collection was a mistake. NEC didn't came for TSW2 and MSB, it's just a disaster. There is a major lack of features, like world editor. DTG confirmed that there is a route editor coming for TSW, but no. It's not coming, which is a shame. Many other train simulators, like TS20xx, Trainz, MSTS and Zusi, has a route editor, but TSW doesn't have, and it looks that it's never coming.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I mean you are right with alot of what you are saying, but if there are other simulators that can do things that TSW2 can't, then it is all good or not? That is the benefit of different developers, you can try some and stick with the ones you like most.
    Of course I understand that you probably refer to the "lost potential" TSW2 has due to lack of for example editor.
    But I would try to not take game names literally, because then there are lots of games that promise more by title than there is actually included.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

It is worth it and I enjoy every penny I spend, regardless of the bugs

• Like Like x 7
  4. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Worth it for me. So far it has cost me about 50p per hour played. Can’t think of many things I enjoy that are that cheap.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Absolutely! It's a lot of fun and I've spent more time with it than I'd ever anticipated. I paid less for TSW2, which I've played for hundreds of hours, than I'd pay for a three hour theatre show. So yes, it's worth the cost.

And when people purchase TSW2, I doubt that it occurs to many that they should take the World in the title literally. Isn't it more likely that the choice of routes is based largely on perceived popularity in the marketplace?

• Like Like x 7
  6. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Definitely worth every penny I've spent on this game, from the first founders edition on my xbox up to the current game only reason i haven't spent more money getting all the DLC is the fact covid-19 cost me my job, so when new job is found business will resume buying the routes and loco's i don't have, mostly because i love trains, but partly because my OCD dictates that i can't have an incomplete collection!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It could be argued Train Sim "World" actually refers to the fact you can interact and move through the area modelled, not just sit in the cab?

In any event, the answer to the OP is largely "yes", if you pick and choose what content you buy and operate.

None of the existing train sims covers but a tiny % of the "world" and that is unlikely to change. Even MS pulled the plug on their ambitious "World Of Rails" concept, for their second failed attempt at MSTS2.

• Like Like x 6
  8. mclitke

I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will find a new job soon!
    As for OCD... I know exactly what you mean :D
    Even some of the dlc that didn't interest me at first are getting more interesting the longer I play the game... So I might pick up some on sale, at which point it is actually great value for the money imo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

@OP The game has only been out for a few months and we're getting two new countries soon. (France & Switzerland)
    On the other hand, Train Simulator is a different beast and has also been out for nearly 11 years, that's quite a large difference for content creation. Give it time and patience.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  10. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Currently it´s the same as TSW1, but with 2 new routes and the same approach to gameplay (predefined scenarios and services). If you have doubts you can wait for a sale to get only the main tittle and check it and see how they manage this new release in the following months. In the meantime you can use your preserved collection and decide later if you are onboard or not.

Cheers

11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You can have a lot of comments, but I like this game very much, despite all wishes I have.

• Like Like x 6
  12. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Worth is a very personal call - I can’t say whether or not it would be worth it for you, all I can comment on is my value judgement.

I have used TS20XX since 2012 and have spent way more for DLC than I would care to admit over the years but have never regretted my expenditures — with well over 5000 hours in the game, the entertainment value has been high. I also have Zusi3 and Run8 along with Derail Valley and TSW2

I am find interesting more and more I gravitate toward TSW2 for my train fix - I enjoy the interaction with the world which is way more than any of the other simulations. I have never built a route and have only created a few scenarios and really have no desire to do so. As such, the lack of an editor (route or scenario) is not a factor for me at all.

I thoroughly enjoy the timetables on the routes and the fact that those time tables are run independent of me running the service. On the routes that have ample prototypical DLC - the timetable makes the route seem alive with the other services running without the overloading as was seen so much in the TS20XX scenarios.

For me, TSW2 is definitely worth the little I have spent on it — of course your mileage may vary.

• Like Like x 9
  13. mclitke

this was a great read, thank you for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I would say worth every penny. I’m not 100% satisfied, but I get a lot of pleasure and enjoyment from it. Over 5,000 miles driven and counting.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Brilliant! Thank you for putting this into words. :D

16. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

the game is still new.

A french route is coming.
    Maybe in the future Switzerland, austria as TS etc.

Is there demand of routes in China - Japan etc ? i´m not sure about that but why not.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I'd say it's worth it, mostly just waiting for more content. Always good to be wanting more though :D

• Like Like x 2
  18. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Well worth it.
    Frankly for all the extras you list in the original post you would need software on the level of Adobe's offerings.
    Also a large wallet to cover the annual charges they inflict on us.

19. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think it is worth it too, I have certainly had value for money out of it and look forward to what the future brings.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I also think it is worth it as well, I feel that I am getting the value out of the money I have put into it. And cannot wait to see what the future brings to the simulator.

• Like Like x 2
  21. kosti.nuuja

Please note, this is just my opinion. And it can change in future.

22. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

And that is fine everyone is entitled to their own honest opinion of how they feel, and some peoples minds change over time sometimes for the better. But it is hard to always to please people to the extent that they expect to be satisfied too.

• Like Like x 2
  23. kosti.nuuja

But the editor. It's the biggest fail in the history of TSW

24. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

It's funny how people go on about the editor.
    It was a plan that couldn't be realised.

Frankly the version Matt demonstrated was far beyond my abilities and I suspect 99% of simmers.
    We just have to hope that the scenario planner will be worth waiting for when the new update comes out.

• Like Like x 2
  25. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

For you maybe, but with over 5000 hours in T20xx, I used the scenario editor twice to learn it and never touched the world editor. I do not enjoy developing scenarios or routes. That being said, I have been a beta tester for a commercial scenario developer for the TS20xx simulation for many years. While I enjoy the testing, no inclination to develop them.

So while YOU might think not having an editor is the biggest fail, that feeling is far from universal. Do I wish one was available for those that want it sure, but not going to cry over news that is a couple of years old.

• Like Like x 5
  26. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Yes, they stick with the same countries. This was explained with them being able to reuse assets from the same country. Yes I would like to see more routes outside of Germany. I’d like to see some Japanese routes. But that would be a lot of work for them with getting sources to look at and stuff. What I think will happen is, Third-Party Devs will be the ones doing routes outside of the UK/US, while DTG focuses on them.

Now, for the Editor. I’m pretty sure we would all like to have the editor. I’d like to be able to edit an existing route (and put the CORRECT SOUNDS), or create my own route. But DTG wants this feature to be available to everyone (including consoles). That just isn’t possible because the Unreal Editor isn’t on consoles.

I honestly think one of the biggest issues with TSW is the lack of community created content. Look at TSxx and all the content variety for that, and then come back to TSW. Big difference.

• Like Like x 2
  27. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

For me I would say so far you can have fun doing the routes but I get the feeling of 'this could be done so much better'. I bought TSW" thinking it was a brand new game not realising it is just an upgraded TS game with less routes, that said I am only interested in the UK routes and had a blast around the IOW. The Bakerloo is good as well but you do want to have more routes on the underground so I hope we have more.

My biggest frustration was with the GWE DLC. I was pleased when it was included, and then you see videos on youtube by DTG how they would do longer routes if they were interesting. So why does the hst route only go from Paddington to Reading? Bristol to London is the fastest UK only route in the country no? I do like it though and the slower trains but overall at this time I would say I'm slightly disappointed. And with the bugs on top and lack of people on the stations for example, hopefully it will improve.

• Like Like x 1
  28. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Worst part is if you create a scenario, you can't share them which makes no sense

• Like Like x 1
  29. nyswat19

nyswat19 Member

U see , It depends on ur style...I got it only because they had LIRR... and able to drive the train and feel like I'm really driving... tsw 2 u can create ur own scenarios.. super limited but able to make some busy service... the bad part is can't railfan.. and the 24 7 service.. well for lirr only the Hempstead line comes. Nothing else.. and seems pretty dead.. so yea.. if u wanna drive a train. U gonna like this game sim

• Like Like x 1
  30. ZeenozPlays

It really depends. If you're hardcore into trains, you may be split. The lack of services on many routes, the inaccuracies, and the bugs may turn someone off. I have the LIRR route and I'm disappointed, I'm from the NYC area, and I can say that many things are far off from real life, but the core experience of driving a train is there. If you don't care about anything else except driving, you're probably gonna like it.

• Like Like x 1
  31. nyswat19

nyswat19 Member

I agree with you.. I hope they fix the LIRR and create another part.. and really add the port Jeff line ,Ronkonkoma. Montauk lines

• Like Like x 1
  32. ZeenozPlays

Port Washington should be the first. They disrespected us with that fake line. Then complete the Ronkonkoma Branch, then add the M9's/DM30AC's and expand out.

• Like Like x 1
  33. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Port Washington Branch for the lirr should be first. That shuttle service from Penn Station to woodside is completely pointless

34. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

for me its worth it have every dlc and looking foward for raildriver. got new i9 pc game looks awsome for me

• Like Like x 1