Which Parts Of Tsw 2 Would You Like To See Improved?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by montes_1234, Dec 1, 2020.

?
  1. Sounds

67.4%
  2. Graphics

22.1%
  3. Weather

52.6%
  4. More complex railway operations

53.7%
  5. Locomotives

23.2%
  6. Scenario planner

42.1%
  7. Routes

32.6%
  8. Controls

11.6%
  9. Map

36.8%
  10. Layers

28.4%
  11. Livery Designer

11.6%
  12. New Features

29.5%
  13. Random Events

38.9%
  14. Journey Mode

11.6%
  15. Service Mode

23.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

So in this poll you can say in more detail on which parts of the game more efforts should be put.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Asking for new features is a bad question. By far not specific enough to make sense.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

Lighting, the clouds, the sounds, the operations (random events like temp speed limits, workers on the line etc will massively help) are my top 4.

4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Where is the option for a overhaul of the Layer/Substitution system? I guess it falls under "service mode improvements"

5. hightower

hightower Guest

I think by graphics, you would really need to be more specific.

Whilst the graphics themselves aren’t bad, there are significant issues with shadows, lighting, weather effects (including windscreen effects), texture quality in a number of places, seasonal effects (white trees in winter until you draw close to them), occlusion of both cabs and structures, stuttering, texture streaming, motion blur, anti-aliasing etc etc.

These are largely engine driven display problems that urgently need addressing, that isn’t really up for debate. On the whole though, the actual graphics themselves are very good.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Sounds in preserved collection really do need massive improvements. I would like to see the full line of a route so if a route is 50 miles then we should get the full 50 miles of the route, not 20 miles of the route or be put in the middle of a route which doesn't go the full way. New features and improvements need to be done to the game to make it less boring. TSW2 can't just be a game where they release new dlcs but not add new features. There needs to be a balance with that. Random events should happen when doing a timetable service because doing a service isn't always smooth sailing in real life. We should have the ability in scenario designer to do return journeys from where we started or back and fourth services instead of doing a quick drive from point a to b. Dynamic weather is something I would like and should've been in the game by now in my opinion. I would also like to see more passengers in the game inside stations and in the trains. The layers issue needs to be fixed as well. The game graphically looks fine in my opinion

• Like Like x 2
  7. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

My biggest wish is for routes from a wider array of countries.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

In one of the streams DTG Protagonist talked a lot about random events - his views mirror my own thoughts - while they sound like a good idea -they really cause more disrupting than good.

If I have a limited time to make a quick run, then a random event pops up that either adds to the time required to complete (beyond what I have available) or terminates the run early is not going to be something I am pleased about.

Well then - make it a toggle in the options - if you want a random event to occurs then enable if not disable... but what happens if I want a “random” event to occur so I have it enabled and one does not occur - then I am dissatisfied since that run is just like all the others.. So increase the frequency of random event possibility of occurring so when enabled one will happen —- question then, is it a real random event that you would be surprised over - or would be expecting something since you have random events enabled?

In my other simulations that do have random events - it is one option that I never turn on, especially my flight simulators where with dynamic weather, I have enough to contend without worrying about loss of vacuum pressure or a blocked pitot tube, or engine failure — especially since all I wanted to do for the flight was enjoy the evening skies. Is the latter more realistic — why yes - but since i have dealt with such in real life - I just want to enjoy the flight for my entertainment.

More complex railway operations and getting the traffic levels up with diverse DLC prototypical to the route is my choice. If the route is a well trafficked route, having the prototypical consists running a proper traffic levels will add to the realism. Add more local freight runs where cars are spotted at the industries. Have active interchange yards where cars are spotted and picked up for transshipment across other lines. I really enjoy the routine coal, aggregate loading unloading as would be the routine runs on the Tees Valley line. Have Switchers make up the manifest consists that run over the SPG then make the road trip with road power. This is the improvements I would like to see.

Face it - day to day routine runs are enjoyable — it is one the features I like about Run8 - even though the graphics are dated, scenery is eh ok - you feel like you are part of a transportation network.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  9. hightower

hightower Guest

I honestly don’t think things like delayed AI trains causing yellows/reds and or random things like passenger chords being pulled, 1 of 2 engines developing a problem etc would be a bad thing. Events that don’t cause your service to end, just be delayed or changed somewhat are what we need.

The point of another thread though is that even if ALL of the above was beyond DTG, real world and dynamic weather would add a good element of dynamism into the game that currently doesn’t exist. Now we have variable traction it could be really really interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tallboy7648

This would be a good idea to at least have the option to have random events happening. If a player doesn't want it, they could have it off. Simple

11. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Except the more complex the railway operation, the more likely there are to be delays at some point. An Amtrak train getting held up by five minutes in Boston can have knock on effects that delay trains running along Amtrak trackage in New Jersey and Philadelphia.

Here are some simple ideas that would make for a little bit more dynamic gameplay. 1) Randomise where AI stops on the platform a little bit, maybe a range of about 10%, so they're not always stopping at the exact same location, and make it a little less robotic. 2) Randomise the load/unload time duration a bit for both AI and player services, so you may run into more yellow/red lights if the train ahead is delayed or if your load times happen to be shorter.

• Like Like x 2
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Core stability, optimisation, memory usage would all come before any of the above options. After that, sound needs a fair bit of work, and more use of all the interesting areas of routes for better railway operations.

• Like Like x 5
  13. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

How can you have more complex railway operations in the poll as it has never really been a feature in the game to start with. We aren't allowed to manually change all the trackpoints and junctions on every map, about 1/3rd of all track laid can't actually be accessed to drive on across nearly all the layouts, and there is virtually no operational industries on many routes for us to load and unload freight wagons, etc, no warehousing, oil terminals, coal mines, docks, etc, all you can do is run a-b from yard to yard, or, station, so, how can we have more complex operational desires, DTG won't allow us to do it.......period.

And I would like to get rid of all these childish restrictions and invisible barriers all over the place. Can you add that to your Poll, please?

Cheerz. Steve.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I think dynamic weather, a true consist editor and more scenarios with new routes (or scenario packs as in TS). And my pet peeve - make rivers, streams and other water sources look realistic.

• Like Like x 1
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The fact that there aren’t complex operations in TSW is exactly why it is included in a poll for things that need improving. If you want more complex operations you select this option.

• Like Like x 2
  16. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Sound, Random Events, Weather - in that order ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  17. ffabio89

ffabio89 Active Member

A questo punto è bello sentire cosa ha da dire DTG al riguardo, solo per sapere come è possibile, come no, and how they thinking about this improvement

18. tallboy7648

Making the ai less robotic would be cool because in real life train operators may miss their mark by a few inches. Simple ideas like delayed trains etc would improve immersion massively and make it more realistic

• Like Like x 2
  19. tallboy7648

I do agree that dtg should get rid of the invisible walls in the game.

20. LeadCatcher

Computer programs a very good at being consistent. They pretty well stink at being “random”, in fact the problem of developing good cryptographic programs is developing enough entropy from an algorithm on a system that is better at creating consistency.

That little tidbit aside - the problem I have with adding random events and consistent inconsistencies is how would the rest of the AI react?? The decision logic would have to be developed for the AI to decide the best course of action to peruse given the different random events that might arise in the 24 hour timetable mode if we are talking about random events happening on the services. I can see cascading failures leading the deadlock on the rails - not something I would want to enable.

I would see no problem in a scenario situation to have “unexpected” problems arise since the scenario is a set piece and the author can control all aspects as is evident in the many scenarios which have failures etc in TS20XX. I am all for DTG breeding up the development of scenarios that would add these “random” situations to add variety but to do so on the services or timetable mode where every service is also an AI service would be a daunting task programmatically.

Possible if the “random” event could only happen if the service is under player control but not when under AI control. But then what happens if the player gives control back to AI after the random event has occurred and so normal service timings are off but the player wants to ride another service in the same session?

Not saying it isn’t possible, but I think there is much more involved than meets the eye on first glance. Just my “Random” thoughts on the matter.

• Like Like x 2
  21. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

If you add random situation than that situation is not random at all. It is called scripted and will always be the same no matter how many times you drive that scenario. Randomness is totally different, like when you throwing dice you will never know what number it will be.

• Like Like x 1
  22. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Why are we suddenly getting all these polls? :o
    TBH most of the categories listed need a bit of love but I would suggest DTG already have a roadmap in mind taking into account the various factors that determine priority - the biggest one probably being what will maximise their revenue stream!

• Like Like x 3
  23. tallboy7648

Having unexpected things happen in a service could be done. If you don't want that happening to you then there should be a option to turn it off. It's just not realistic for trains to run consistency all the time without a issue happening in a timetable service

• Like Like x 1
  24. tallboy7648

The roadmap seems more of a bug checklist than anything else. Hopefully we will get a roadmap that talks about improvements to the core of the game and new features to the game

• Like Like x 2
  25. LeadCatcher

You missed my point — since all services in timetable mode are run by AI as well as by the user — how do you ensure the random events do not interfere with the AI services running concurrently with your user controlled service. The scheduler / signaler has all ready proven not to be the most robust implementation - so how will it cope with the AI services impacted by your random event on your concurrent. user controlled run??

Just stating it is not a straight forward implementation and adding random events would require much regression testing to insure no knock-on undesirable problems arise. Do we really want to add another possible layer of problems before other identified core problems are corrected??

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  26. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Found I couldn’t vote.
    We all have different annoyances and priorities.
    Sound, lighting, weather, ohle, routes, station announcements, etc..
    Expectation versus the reality of making commercial software for different platforms.

27. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

a bigger free range for the camera in free mod would be also nice.

• Like Like x 1
  28. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

The main thing in the train simulator is the physical model, the dynamics of the train movement, sounds and simulation of the controls. This creates immersion in the management process.
    I want more and better sounds. There is not enough iron rumble, the sounds of traction motors, the sounds of passing the joints of the rail track, other external sounds from the window, more rocking and jerking.

For example, I really like the physical model of the train in the ZDSimulator:

• Like Like x 2
  29. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

Better sound, locomotive lighting, and an editor!

• Like Like x 2
  30. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Number 1 by far: consist editor - this with the livery designer and scenario editor would be the final piece in making the game feel like a virtual trainset. Give the player full control over what they want and how they want to use it. Would give a reason for buying DLC just for a wagon or a car for use elsewhere.

Number 2 complex operations - more intricate scenarios like yard operations and moving stock around (the last scenario on NTP is great and the one pulling apart the Dosto with the 363 is also good. (Related to number 1 - remove the hidden blocks on the couplings in existing consists for all of these type of trains, then people can make their own fun)

Number 3 - dynamic weather - would encourage playing longer sessions to see what happens - would make the timetable mode come alive. Also randomising weather for scenarios where it isn't specifically part of the scenario (e.g. landslips/floods/blizzards in the story)

All of these can be summarised in making TSW more of a sandbox experience and less of a curated (theme park) experience.

• Like Like x 1
  31. tallboy7648

Don't expect an editior anytime soon mate

32. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I voted sounds and (dynamic) weather.

I think all of us can pretty much agree on that sounds could be improved. Particularly preserved content DLC. Also, there’s just not enough environmental sounds going on. I could be in the middle of London but it would still sound like a ghost town.

Secondly, dynamic weather would be a real game changer. Not knowing what weather you’ll drive into, or just a nice change of the ‘always same’ weather would be nice. Even if it’s something as simple as clear to overcast or vice versa. Adding on to this, the clouds could do with some TLC, as they look atrocious.

Finally, not listed, but lighting could really do with some improvements. Particularly (the lack of) transitional lighting and night time lighting. We’re using UE4 but it can really look bad at times, depending on the time of day and/or weather present chosen.

• Like Like x 3
  33. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There’s the opposite too, with small open air stations having the ambient sounds of a large crowded indoor terminus, particularly bad on some German routes.

• Like Like x 2
  34. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It seems the environment artists really struggle with placing sounds in the correct places. Almost as if they have a random sound placer regardless of the location.

• Like Like x 2
  35. tallboy7648

It seems that way

36. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

It's bad for me if the route is less than 50 km long. One gets the feeling that the route is not completed. Optimum -80 km (50 miles). Scenarios lasting 1-1.5 hours pass comfortably. I love the idea of creating 75-100 km routes that can complement each other and combine into long routes and create long-term scenarios. It is good to have a uniform train schedule and the ability to implement short and long scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  37. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

Yeah, I do not expect to ever get it, but it definitely would be an improvement to make the game more enjoyable. The editor in TS2021 is what keeps me still using it.

• Like Like x 1
  38. tallboy7648

It would make it more enjoyable