PlayStation Is Haupstrecke Munchen Augsburg Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Me with a train, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Me with a train

Me with a train Active Member

I’m thinking of getting HMA for Christmas before the 313 or SHE come out just so that it gives me something to do. Is the route good? Should I get it?

2. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Haha you can wait for the 313 but if you like suburban trains and high speed trains then it’s the route you need, Munich HBF with its many switches is quite impressive + you’ll get new layers later when they figure it out how to run them smoothly

3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

IMO no, I'd wait until we get all the layers or the possibility to use the 423 on SKA.

• Like Like x 2
  4. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

The route itself is the most detailed to date, and is really fantastic.

However, on console, the performance is a bit choppy. Also, as the extra layers aren't enabled, it's not particularly busy compared to other routes such as Koln Aachen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Me with a train

Ok, might wait then I’m looking for busier routes like SKA or the bakerloo line

• Like Like x 1
  6. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Well, to be honest...it depends.
    Personally, I do actually love HMA and I am having a blast with it despite having no access to layers and having a couple of performance issues. But I realize some people aren't as tolerant to these things as I am, which is why I say it depends.

If you enjoy German content within TSW, and especially if you enjoyed Schnellfahrstrecke Köln, then HMA is almost the pinnacle of that experience. Theres about 400+ services with all of the extra layers included, assuming you own Main Spessart Bahn, Rhein-Ruhr Osten, and/or Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr.
    But the base route comes with around 330 services by itself, the majority of which comprises of S-Bahn routes. Theres two lines, the S3 and the S4, with some services on the S3 having different terminus'. Theres around 60 ICE services, some stopping at Munich-Pasing, some do not. Theres depot runs included as well, along with the ability to drive double unit ICE 3's.

Basically, this route has an absolute ton of variety just with the base route by itself. The addition of layers would further enhance this, utilizing both RE and RB services, along with freight runs.
    Theres also plenty of accessible tracks on this route too, utilizing this sort of racetrack style with 2 slower lines on one side, and 2 lines on the other side exclusively for fast services. What this means is that you'll often find yourself 'racing' against other services, something thats kind of unique to this route at the moment. If I have to be honest, I always love moments like these, I think they're soo cool :D

This route is also the second ever route in TSW2 to feature working PIS systems in stations, which is another pretty neat feature!

However, as it currently stands right now, this route does indeed have performance issues. Its pretty inconsistent actually. Some sections have pretty good performance actually, particularly driving across the countryside. But as you're approaching Munich, there's plenty of stuttering and pauses as the game loads in tons of different things.
    On the roadmap currently, the devs are looking into ways for improving the games efficiency and hopefully alleviate issues like these. However, these are still in development it seems, and we have no clue when to expect a rollout for these improvements.

So right now, HMA is an okay route, but if the performance was to be improved, and layers to be added back on consoles (these things are currently on the roadmap)...then HMA can easily become one of the best routes on TSW2.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Me with a train

Sounds good, still between yes and no but ill probably see if SHE moves between now and the end of the year. but im definitely being pushed toward the 'yes' side of things :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

I think it is in a sale in the store at the moment. If it is then it is definitely worth getting. I enjoy playing it every time I play it even without the extra layers. But having them I would enjoy it even more.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Me with a train

Cool, I think with the 20% off I’ll buy it now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Since someone asks this everyday, without any bells and whistles, short answer is hard no.

Explanations of why are all over the place on the forums. Be patient, wait with it.
    If you just want to run with refurbished ICE3 and 423 on s bahn then of course it might be worth getting. Thou framerates are... Freezing. I mean, freezing. 3-5 seconds and some buildings pop up (load) when you are passing or just passed them.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Maxrom

Maxrom Active Member

I don't think so, not at the moment.

A much better option I think is to buy RRO, and then drive the S-Bahn services on SKA if it's S-Bahn that you're interested in. SKA is a busy route now especially with both RRO and MSB layers, and doesn't have the issues HMA has.

12. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

SKA isn't exactly without its quirks either.
    I didn't mention this in my review post, but I've often found myself enjoying Hauptstrecke München much more than I did with Schnellfahrstrecke Köln. Of course it's personal preference, but its worth pointing out that SKA doesn't have much variety on it.
    Theres the ICE services which are a straight shot from Köln - Aachen. And then there's the RE9 services with the Talent 2, which stops a bit more frequently. The problem is, that stopping pattern is the same for the other RE services that the Dostos trains use. Freight trains are also a straight A to B journey as well. I haven't used the S-Bahn services on SKA, but I'd imagine they're fairly straightforward as well. This route only offers around 200 services, while the Munich route offers roughly double that amount. Theres a lot more red lights and a lot more activity in general.

So with SKA, it feels as though once you've driven one service, you've pretty much already driven them all. It's not that bad of a route, its just that it does get boring after a while.
    This would be where HMA shines its best with all the services types that you could need: S-Bahn, RE, RB, ICE, and freight services. But within the ICE and S-Bahn services, some of them stop at certain stations while others don't. It offers a bit of variety where other routes do not. Again, this is a personal preference, but its a tradeoff.

SKA has somewhat stable performance, but its timetable isn't too special.
    HMA has inconsistent performance, but it could be a lot more fun and interesting.

At the end of the day, DTG needs to seek performance improvements and implement layers back into HMA to give the route its full potential. It could honestly be one of the best routes in the game, but it is being held back. As it is right now it lives in this awkward middle position with a ton of advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  13. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Well... I asked the same last week and, most comments were not to buy it now, mainly due to the mentioned issues with the memory and time to load some objects and low frames.

But considering the following facts:

- LGV looks wonderful, with the TGV I liked it very much. The new dynamic weather is great too. But the route is not long enough, and just one train, and only 3 stations - one very close to one terminal. So this route despite is beautiful designed, it is not enjoyable at all - at high speed you can even see all the details - no freight trains here on which you go at much less speeds so you can appreciate the details and the landscape, then I discard to buy it! Even there is no chance to other trains, than other models of TGV - older ones - or other liveries.

- UK South Eastern High Speed, will be launched next year, and probably several months later. I like this route too, and this will be worth it for me.

- No other route coming, and we are at the end of the year, I will have some holidays soon - but not going anywhere due to covid - and I would like to have a new route for these time.

- The route apart from a new version of ICE, and the DB 423 - for me it is a completely new train, as the only one of this commuter type one is the Talent, but I does not have the others offered on other germans route - plus the fact you could also with Scenario Planner you can also run other trains there like DB 146 + Dostos / DB 185 with freight trains / DB 182 (I am not sure about it, but I believe yes), the Talents too, etc, so it will be an interesting one due to the great variety of trains able to be used.

- Finally nowadays there is a 20% discount, and the price is affordable.

Then I decided to purchase it on Saturday!.
    Yes there is the frame rate issue, - mainly on Munich area -, but I like the route design, and the mentioned possibilities of driving different trains on different conditions.

I already drove 2 ICE services, and 1 with the BR 423, plus a new freight service I created and I am happy about it. Of course those performance issues hope not where there, but I can live with them.

Furthermore DTG announced they will improve the performance on consoles, so that problem could be solved in the relative near future.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  14. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

I have a question: On Scenario Planner I made a freight timetable as mentioned.
    But the only route from one freight yard to the other (Ausburg and Munchen), goes on the ICE high speed tracks
    Does not might go throw the BR 423 route instead?
    This for one hand does not affect the high speed trains, and for the other hand it will be more interesting as you will have to wait for the 423 trains and have several yellow and red lights.
    I have seen youtube videos where ICE trains goes on same routes as freight ones. But on that parts, the routes are not high speed ones.
    I mean not for trains at more than 200 kmh.