Community

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Doomotron, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Not long ago I went onto tsted.designs website and saw this message.
    What exactly has happened here?

I'm not specifically asking about what happened with Ted (although it would certainly be interesting), but about what has happened in the larger Train Simulator community. I haven't seen what's been happening myself - despite playing this game for 8 years, I am only a member of this one forum and none more - so all I've seen is through videos (particularly by Maverick Hunter Daniel on YouTube) and seeing what has happened to Ted, and from what I've seen this forum is quite friendly - apart from some obvious exceptions - so what has been happening in this community? It seems to be quite toxic in some places and I'm not really sure why.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Interesting. I've only been here a year or two, but what I have seen is this is a pretty friendly place. There are exceptions, people who come here just to rant and point fingers, but there aren't many.
    In the TSW sections, there are a lot more of these folks, but it it seems there are more that enjoy the game. But why, if people don't like the game, do they stay here in the forums and contribute nothing but bad vibes?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

I don't know the guy or his work, but the Train Simulator community doesn't seem to me to have changed much in the last couple of years. It's got a number of pedantic, argumentative and rude people, but so has everywhere else. It's also got people who take criticism badly, especially when it's clumsily or aggressively given, but then so has everywhere else. I think people make the mistake of seeing online life as being a safe, controlled, supportive and a real place, when it's not. Online people lose inhibition, we can't read their body language and many people's ability to communicate well in writing is poor.

It's also not real. Switch it off and it completely disappears. Reality is the birds outside, the love, help and irritation of families, and standing on a real platform watching real trains go by.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  4. treid09

treid09 Guest

Right on IronBladder!