Portsmouth Direct Line Add-on Performance

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by Hordriss, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

I bought this route on sale. I was really looking forward to playing it, but the performance is garbage.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I've turned some of the settings down, but even then I'm getting drops to 5FPS at times - it was especially bad approaching Guildford.

When I don't get the drops, it's generally hovering between 30-40FPS.

I loaded up MSI Afterburner to see how the CPU and GPU were holding up, and the CPU never seemed to hit more than 20% usage, and the GPU never went above 90%, so it seems ridiculous I'm getting such huge FPS drops.

My computer isn't high-end, but it's a solid machine that will even manage a constant 30FPS on Watch Dogs Legion at the very high preset, so it's no slouch.

My PC has the following components:
    Ryzen 5 3600
    GTX 1660 Super
    16GB RAM (3200MHz).

2. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

Not sure if I'm allowed to tell you about it on here but there's an 'optimization patch' available over on the Alan Thomson Sim website - I've not personally used it (I can't remember the method I used to increase performance but it didn't do much) but it's worth a look into.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The main problem is that being an older technology TSx can floor one part of a component which then locks the whole game.
    In other words while your afterburner was saying that the CPU was at 20%, if your CPU has six or eight cores then TSx would only use one of these and could have maxed that one core out, but your software would read this as 16.6% for six cores or 12.5% for eight.
    If you have multicore monitoring that would be better, windows task manager will do this for you

4. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

I'll take a look thanks. It's really frustrating - if it was a steady 30FPS, I'd be fine with that. But when you get drops to 5FPS, it severely affects the experience. Which is a real shame because it's otherwise a really nicely done route.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

I will take a look at that, thanks.

6. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

I turned on the individual core monitoring in MSI afterburner, and none of the cores were maxing out when I was hitting the extreme frame drops, so that rules out the CPU being the issue.

I have also tried the optimisation patch linked by somebody else, but it seems to have done nothing.

So, as far as I can see, this is an issue with optimisation. And this is basically rendering the route unplayable for me.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Are you running in 64bit?
    Have you lowered your Graphics settings?
    Turn Off - Ambient Occlusion, Adaptive Bloom and Headlight Flares if switched on
    Turn Down - Scenery Quality, Shadow Quality and Water Density

8. Hordriss

Hordriss Member

Running in 64 bit.
    Not sure why I should be needing to turn down graphics settings when every other route I own works absolutely fine, and any microstutters are minimal and not down to 5FPS.

I will try next time I run the route, but my hardware should be more than capable of running this smoothly.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The one thing that is said - When you are having low FPS turn down your Graphics Settings

Or report it as a Bug using the link at the top of the page
    But as the route was released in July 2018 and has been like that since day 1 don't hold your breath