Out Of Memory Crash Edition....4?

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by Marc von Hoffrichter, May 24, 2020.

1. Marc von Hoffrichter

Marc von Hoffrichter Member

Anyway.
    Thought I would do something about this instead of yark and moan.
    Found this over on the Steam Train Simulator community board, dated 2019 post TS2020 update:

[​IMG]
    SortByNode
    [​IMG] 25 Nov, 2019 @ 1:00pm
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I believe I was able to resolve our Out of Memory error. I followed a user's description that matched my own. (username: "Get rid of some COOKIES" - response #216 in this thread)

My game was also crashing when it was displaying the "Updating scenario database" message on startup. I first tried unsubscribing from all Train Workshop items, but I still experienced a crash. So I went to the routes folder (Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Content\Routes) and sorted by Date Modified. I moved all recently modified routes to a temporary folder. I tried relaunching the game, and it started up with no issues. I closed the game and then re-added half the moved routes from the temp folder back to the Routes folder. Relaunched. I kept repeating these steps until I could get the game to crash again.

By the process of elimination I was able to determine that the issue for me was folder/route 00000027-0000-0000-0000-000000002013 - LA Commuter Rail. I removed that folder and the game launches for me now. Someone in our household did recently edit this route (after the 2020 update.) I don't know what type of edits he did though. I was just tasked with fixing the game for him.

I resolved to do this, and it worked!!
    Here was my path and what I found:
    Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Content\Routes
    00000068-0000-0000-000000002016 (South Wales Coastal)
    Scenarios
    0b00abe2-444e-4cda-e1376719130d < This is the problem file which is causing my crash.
    Scenery
    InitialSave.bin
    Scenario.bin
    ScenarioNetworkProperties.bin
    ScenarioProperties
    ScenarioProperties.xml.MD5

I've isolated this file in a folder and all works well........at the moment.
    Suggest some who are having this issue have a crack at it.
    Any idea where I can bump this up to, DTG?
    Thanks to the OP if he is here at all.

Marc

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I have South Wales Coastal
    I do not have a Scenario with the number 0b00abe2-444e-4cda-e1376719130d
    So more than likely you got it off the Workshop

Which is one of the suggestions to look at when you get a problem with the game not starting

As DTG did not make that Scenario why should they have to look at it?

Peter

3. Marc von Hoffrichter

No.

I don't have and wksp material installed.

I only have the career and standard which came with the DLC

Assumption.

4. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Because they created the eco-system for the Editor and the scenario database, etc. They should have designed it all to be:

- robust: so that you could not create scenarios that trashed the main software (a proofing and validating Editor); and,
    - resilient: so that even if a scenario was made defectively outside the eco-system, that the main software and/or other assets wouldn't get trashed by an imperfect user-created scenario (a protective database).

If they had done the above, then it would have saved a lot of time in the long run, for everyone.

If they ever introduce an Editor for TSW, it should be based on some reasonably robust basic design principles.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Where did you get the Scenario you quoted number 0b00abe2-444e-4cda-e1376719130d?
    If it is a DTG Scenario you should report it via a Support Ticket as DTG are at fault and as it is causing an OOM Crash.
    Reporting it will enable DTG to fix it

Peter

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

OK - DTG Can say no more Workshop Scenarios that will solve a lot of the crashes people are having.

Peter

7. Plastic Pal

Actually, that is not a bad idea. They could say "We have been trying for about ten years to make an Editor work in Train Simulator that is robust and resilient, but we haven't managed it yet, so we are withdrawing it until it works".

Or.... they could say, in any marketing material for Train Simulator 2021:

"This software includes an Editor, which you can use to make content that might trash your computer. You can share the content with other people and it might trash their computers. And if you don't create or share any content, it might trash your computer anyway."

• Like Like x 1
  8. didiergamer65

didiergamer65 Member

This crash is really annoying and I tried a fresh reinstall of the game only reinstalling a few DLC That the game could handle but to no avail!! The same message pops up and it's so o o o annoying!! I even reinstalled a cracked version of TS 2017 So that I could make my scenario on that game because it never crashes for me. So yeah, I'll try it there but my tracks.bin is corrupted and when I load up TS2020, The tracks are not there and are lost.

9. Plastic Pal

I think that we will have to wait (a reasonable time - not over 18 months, like with the TSW Class 47) for a fix to be rolled out for the tracks.bin issue and the lost signals/APT issue (which I assume have a common cause).

Maybe, in future, when something is changed, someone will:

1. Think about testing things first, to see if they will break anything, before pushing stuff out
    2. Consider doing any pushes at the start of the week, and not just before a long Bank Holiday weekend when none of the coders are at work, and all of the customers want to play...

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No reply from Marc von Hoffrichter on the origin of the defective scenario

11. Marc von Hoffrichter

Sorry. Just bought a new gaming computer and setting it up again. I don't have any wksp scenarios installed on the old system. Especially not for that add on. I've not played that route since I bought it. Pretty dull and uninteresting IMO. I am going to run both systems side by side to see what is occurring, including what ever this is. Once I am up and running with a fresh clean install I will know.....I hope!

12. Marc von Hoffrichter

Concur. I have done a lot of game building and testing since around 97? Including hex editing, map building and artwork. Whenever we would get to the Alpha build we would call for run of the mill (cross section) of players from the general population with all types of systems and invite them to bug test and report back using a bug reporting portal, Mantis etc.
    Specific scenarios or builds would be put out with specific parameters to test and report back. These testing dl would expire after a certain time.
    It most likely is still the same, pretty sure it is, however I have never seen an opening for testing from DTG at any stage over the years. I may be wrong, however it's a cheap, cost effective way of weening out the major player errors and stumbling blocks. The tech stuff is obviously handled by the in house techs, and the wheels turns again.
    Also, it allows the devs to concentrate on other issues.
    Then again the days of Close Combat and the Atomic engine are far behind us. I may be speaking out my bugle and preaching to the converted, but hey, I felt like Plastic Pal scratched an itch there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Marc von Hoffrichter

Peter.

Ok so it appears to be a wksp scenario as you suggested. What makes it funny is that I have no wksp dlc, and have not had any for a while.
    It was a scenario that used the route. Why it is still there is a mystery. A remnant or....due ex machina?
    I had done a complete reinstall after purging all third party content.
    Anyway, turns out that the issue I had has to do with the file ScenarioProperties, and XML doc in the offending scenario.
    It required Internet Explorer to read the XML doc, I don't have IE loaded on this machine.
    I changed the properties to reflect IE app as the read app, and all works well now.
    Unsure if that helps anyone, at least the universe has righted itself for me with this issue now.
    Signal issue remains.

14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

You can use any text editor to read XML, it may just be that your machine had that affiliation from somewhere, but you can easily change that

I've had a look for that scenario and don't have it either. Don't know if workshop content removes when you unsub from it, but it could have been in your directory for some time with no issues...

I reinstalled my TSx recently and the only issues I now have are the LED signal break which has messed up one of my biggest scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So a WORKSHOP Scenario caused the error - WOW - Who Would Have thought it to happen

16. Marc von Hoffrichter

Whats that smell...oh, wait, it must be your smugness and attitude. Perhaps in the gesture of friendly communication you could say...lighten up a bit?
    Sincerity and kindness cost nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Plastic Pal

I love your approach and your turn of phrase. Techie, and a good communicator...! Good combo...!

Please, please, please, do not let anyone put you off posting in these Forums. You seem to be relatively new to posting here (by post count), but already you have made a large contribution - please continue to do so...! ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Marc von Hoffrichter

I've seen them come, seen them go also. Glad to know I have made some small contribution. I have been around for a while but mainly lurk in the dark and only have something to say when I feel it's worth saying.
    I'm not going anywhere.
    A little ray of sunshine, that's me!

• Like Like x 1
  19. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

To be fair to Peter, he did say it's likely to be workshop content and you did assert you didn't have any...
    Not that Peter needs defending, but if you look back there was kind of a moment of "Oh... It was that after all"
    Not that snark helps the case of course

• Like Like x 1
  20. Marc von Hoffrichter

Yes he did say that and I replied that I had purged all third party content.
    How it remained in my folder is unknown to me. After the reinstall is when I found it.
    I'm moving on from this issue now, bit like a fart in a fan factory, gone.

21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not an Assumption then

If you delete a Workshop Scenario but you are Still Subscribed to it on the Workshop it will reinstall.

22. Marc von Hoffrichter

Yes, totally correct. Which is why I cant understand why this was still in the folder. I'll work it out eventually tho.

It's a mystery to me
    The game commences
    For the usual fee
    Plus expenses
    Confidential information
    It's in a diary
    This is my investigation
    It's not a public inquiry
    I go checking out the reports
    Digging up the dirt
    You get to meet all sorts
    In this line of work
    Treachery and treason
    There's always an excuse for it
    And when I find the reason
    I still can't get used to it

Mark Knopfler

23. Jupiter

Jupiter New Member

I upped my max cashe memory on windows 10 to 8000 via settings and it appears to have fixed. I was on 5888 before. Hope this helps.

24. Jupiter

Jupiter New Member

Sorry this fix did not last long.

25. BAZ

BAZ Member

Getting this crash every time I try to load up any scenario. I have cleared the cache and uninstalled all my workshop content. This is clearly not a memory issue it's just TS's default crash message.

26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

How did you uninstall the workshop scenarios?
    Make sure you have
    Unsubscribed from the Workshop Content
    Deleted the individual Scenarios from your Computer

27. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

If there is a problem with a WS "corrupt" scenario - this is the only way to ensure that the problem does not re-occur :
    Unsubscribe and delete Workshop Items
    · If it is to do with workshop scenarios and/or a corrupt scenario database try this:
    · This is for errors that occur where TS20XX is loading, checking, verifying the scenario database on start – up.
    NB: Verifying the game files won't fix a WS scenario problem.
    1. Open Steam and highlight Train Simulator.
    2. Click on The Workshop Tab
    3. Click Browse then Subscribed items.
    4. Individually unsubscribe each scenario or choose Unsubscribe all to get rid of the lot.

TS-Tools (RW-Tools) Option:

· Just because you have unsubscribed WS scenarios via STEAM does not mean that they have been removed from your computer.
    · Invest in the FREE TS-Tools and remove them route by route - they are colour coded - blue.

Additional method to check:

1. To delete all WS scenarios from your computer, navigate to \STEAM\steamapps\workshop\content\24010 and delete every WS scenario file and sub-folder in that folder.
    2. DO NOT DELETE the \24010 folder itself
    3. (If you want to keep any or all scenarios then copy the contents first to a safe place before deleting the files and then reinstall once your error is fixed.

Rebuilding the Scenario Database
    Even after removing all WS Scenarios you may have a "corrupt" scenario database and that can easily be rebuilt:
    Close Steam/TS and navigate to: \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Content and delete/rename the following 4 files:
    · SDBCache.bin;
    · SDBCache.bin.MD5;
    · RVDBCache.bin;
    · RVDBCache.bin.MD5;
    Restart steam and TS
    If not to do with WS scenarios - ignore this!
    If TS will no longer start it is not due to a Workshop scenario.