The Dx11/dx12 Question....

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hightower, Dec 4, 2020.

1. hightower

hightower Guest

I had the inadvertent opportunity yesterday to experience the game in its release state with DX11 and had forgotten just how poorly it runs at times. An AMD 3900x, ROG STRIX RTX 2080ti OC, SSD & 32GB RAM and passing Tees Yard it registered 22fps.

I figured it worth a very brief video to show the difference launching the game under DX12 can make, and how to do it. Hope it's of use to some people who've not tried it before.

When it makes such a demonstrably significant difference it’s baffling as to why DTG have got no plans to officially support it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2020
  2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I run under DX11 and do not have the results you show in the video - Nvidia RTX2070 Intel I-7 CPU 32 G ram - with all settings maxed, running 150% screen with TAA - I stay comfortable in the 40 - 60 range for FPS. Did use the DX12 switch and did see some FPS improvement but with much more noticeable stuttering so revert back to DX11.

Performance comes down to several factors, sum total of your components running - additional loads by other background services running - personal preferences - it is difficult to say which tweaks would be best for the everyone. I am happy that DX12 makes such a remarkable difference for your set-up and I do hope DTG continues to support that switch, but for my rig, the improvement was not that significant.

Being a veteran of flight simulators over the last 30 years - the continually tweaking of configs and hardware to get the most performance out of a simulation takes up as much time as actually flying in the simulations. .I have yet to find a simulation that preforms well on all variations and mixes of hardware/software choices in the general computing community. Luckily for me, (and I wish it would be the same for all) TSW2 performs well on my current rig and the tweaks of the ini provides satisfactory graphical enjoyment.

• Like Like x 3
  3. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Isn't it stuttering more though under DX12? Seems like it to me.

4. hightower

hightower Guest

That has started since I updated the Nvidia driver just before I made the video. I might roll it back, or do a clean install of it. I’m pretty sure that’s the cause as the stuttering is generally worse under DX11.

5. martschuffing

Just tried it and it is much worse under DX12 I have an RTX380, i9 9900k, and 32 Gb of ram, reverted back to DX11.

6. hightower

hightower Guest

Worse in what way?

7. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Worse for me as well with DX12. Frame Rate is high. Much higher than I need it to be as it’s fine on DX11. Stuttering is horrible though and I don’t have much of an issue with stuttering DX11 it’s very occasional .

Running an I7 10k series + RTX2080 Super + 32gb ram. Latest Video Drivers

The other game I have that uses DX12 is Tomb Raider and under DX12 that suffers random crashes.

8. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

For me I've also tried DX12 in the past and did get slightly better framerate, but the stuttering was unbearable so I'm also back on DX11.

9. hightower

hightower Guest

Did you all try capping your framerate at your monitor’s refresh rate? Any more FPS than that is pointless, and the likely cause of the stuttering.

10. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

It was capped yes

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

12. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Yes, I did cap my frame rate at 60. Still loads of stuttering under DX12

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  13. martschuffing

Same for me, stuttering too distracting.

14. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I was playing around with DX11/12 last night, MSB was a bit better* on DX11 - slightly lower framerate but less stuttering, while HMA was unplayable under DX11 ~10fps just sitting in an ICE at München Hbf. So maybe there's a difference between new routes and preserved??

FWIW i7-4790K, 16GB, RTX2070, SSD, 4k screen (100%), Ultra game settings and the usual engine.ini tweaks

* until I reached Gemünden sidings, where the framerate dropped below 30, but was OK on DX12

15. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

DX12 will provide a benefit wherever you are CPU-bottlenecked in DX11, which is typically yards or main stations, because it offloads some of the draw call overhead to the GPU. This means that performance for people who have more powerful GPUs than they do CPUs can see some performance uplift in areas that had previously been bottlenecked by their CPU. However if your GPU is pegged at 95+% utilisation in DX11 all the time, you won't see any noticeable benefit.

For my own kit of machinery, DX12 is an absolute must, and I have been able to mitigate the stutters with a better SSD. hightower has been fortunate enough to eliminate the stutters (nearly) entirely, though I still experience some here or there in both DX11 and DX12, and I suspect that's down to a memory speed/latency bottleneck.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2