Union Pacific Centennial (dda40x)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mich, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

There doesn't seem to have been any major discussions on it, I'm quite surprised considering that excluding some obvious steam locomotives it's probably the most well know UP oddity, so lets change that.

DDA40X TOFC.jpg
    So what is it?
    In a nutshell a duel diesel 6600 horsepower road switcher, It operated on high speed freight, mainly intermodals, such a example being pictured above.

So why this engine over other comparable designs such as the DD35 & U50 series?
    As mentioned in the beginning it's the most famous of the duel diesel designs, which I imagine would translate into being the biggest seller of the bunch. The other big factor's that it's one of the easiest to get reference material for, seeing as there's quite a few photos and videos of them thanks to many still existing.

Where would it run?
    The best fit would probably be a 70's rendition of Sherman Hill, as that would fit this and the other duel diesel designs perfectly. However it did run in other areas, for example there's quite a few photos of them in Cajon Pass, like the one below.

DDA40X Cajon.jpg
    They did run into the 80's as well, however something worth noting's that they operated a tad differently. In the 70's runs with multiple Centennial's were relatively common, anywhere between two and four on a single train not being uncommon. However in the 80's they'd typically ran with only one or two Centennials with SD40-2's and the like running with them.

What should be included?
    Rolling stock wise whatever route it's on it needs a TOFC, if it's not already included with the route it's on it would certainly need to be apart of the DLC. Another option that seems to have been a relatively common haul (at least from pictures I've seen) for them are Autoracks, similar to the ones already on routes like Sand Patch.

Service wise would mostly be a new set of TOFC intermodals for the DDA40X, Obviously some autorack services as well if that was included, alongside a handful of other types depending on what's included depending on what stock's already included. Other engines on the route would also have new services using the TOFCs and other stock types as well.

Not overly detailed, but should be enough for a general outline, strongly encourage anyone who's more of a expert to chime in if there's any details I'm missing or I'm off on.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Nice suggestion!! This would be neat to have!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Man. This would be so awesome to see in TSW2. Since the #6936 DDA40X is preserved and in operation as part of UP's Heritage Fleet, the last operational Centennial could be included in a new UP route along with her sisters (Sherman Hill, maybe) or added to TSW2 as a DLC.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ingenzone

ingenzone Member

Didn't even need to read the whole post. This has got my support.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I still find it interesting that the DDa40X found its way to the Feather River Canyon after the Union Pacific bought the Western Pacific.
    017682986797138953302902.jpg
    A_DDA40X_in_Feather_River_Canyon_-_6_Photos_(29229227485).jpg

• Like Like x 6
  6. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It would be amazing to have this coupled with Fast Forties (fast geared SD40-2) as their normal version will come with Cane Creek and they'd only need to change the behaviour for it to match and you'd have the truly authentic combination of locos (in nearly all photos in this thread).

• Like Like x 4
  7. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Including that, the DDA40X, and perhaps the GP38-2 as well, and I feel you'd have a fairly solid line up for a late 70's/early 80's Sherman Hill, which personally I'd love to see.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ingenzone

ingenzone Member

I noticed the Western Pacific box car. What if DTG made an agreement with Union Pacific to have licensing for their 'fallen flag' railroads. Then we'd get rolling stock with Southern Pacific, Western Pacific, Chicago & Northwestern, etc. Now that would make quite the route!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

SP is on Donner Pass, so some deal like that might be a thing already.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

They did that for a hand full of TS Classic routes, Wasatch Grade has quite a bit of foreign rolling stock in particular, I also believe Sacramento Northern had a bit as well, so it's not by any means impossible. Only issue's that DTG only tend to only do one livery for each bit of stock, so I kind of think it's unlikely they include them. Best bet would be for other routes to be made and have stock from those be added to the pool of available rolling stock for mixed trains and the like.

• Like Like x 2
  11. migmadmarine

migmadmarine Member

I hope for rolling stock packs to become available in future, to supplement the spawn pool.

• Like Like x 3
  12. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Like ingenzone said, I didn't even need to read the whole suggestion before knowing that it had my support.

• Like Like x 1