PC Tsw Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Typhomat, Feb 14, 2018.

1. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

That would be for you guys to work out ;)

- Jay

• Like Like x 1
  2. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I doubt the map will fill up that entire picture...seems a bit big, but time will tell how they choose to expand this. Regardless, I get what you mean. The section we do have is quite close to the bottom, so maybe that means more sections of the route are closer to the top (north?) of the picture. And that’s all assuming the picture is the right way around too, which it may not be, but I think the New York theory is the one to go with for now...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

This is a very good guess. I agree this is probably a larger map, and could be NYC to New Haven. That one line that goes to the bottom of the image though though seems to be a single track freight line though? There could be missing segments that are beyond what is faded, trying to understand why some of those lines would be included to that degree if they lead no where in terms of the actual route...

• Like Like x 3
  4. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

Someone on Twitter posted this TheZui :
    [​IMG]
    It makes so much sense.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Typhomat

That bottom section has me a little puzzled beyond it's just another freight opportunity

• Like Like x 1
  6. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Looks like I got it right, same section of route as my overlay just in TS18

• Like Like x 2
  7. NorthRail1

southernsection.png
    Southern section on Google Earth. There seems to be a small freight yard in the bottom of the image on the north-south line, a subway depot and a freight yard on the Long Island Rail Road (West-East)

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Some good work going on here; we might have this cracked. 3pm tomorrow will be interesting.

• Like Like x 6
  9. pschlik

Well, if it’s more freight than New York to New Haven, that’s fine by me. I’d prefer something at least a bit different-but the similarity to the New York to New Haven map is really impressive. Interesting how the teaser is off rotation though.

• Like Like x 2
  10. USRailFan007

True, but we would definitely be getting some Amtrak and other commuter trains, if it is NY-NH. Since we already have freight locos in game that also run the route, we'll probably see an incorporation of those locos in the DLC, as services, potentially a scenario or two. Preferably though, we'll have more commuter related stuff than freight, for this DLC. Freight is still welcome, especially along this amazing route. Very nice change of scenery, going from Cumberland (mountainous) to Intercity.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

If it is a larger version of New York to New Haven, I really hope they include a Metro-North train in the route's standard package this time, preferably the M8 if it's set in present-day since they're the most common Metro-North New Haven Line trains. That was a mistake with the Train Simulator 2018 New York to New Haven route since Metro-North New Haven Line trains are the most common for most of it, not Amtrak trains.

• Like Like x 4
  12. NorthRail1

Regional-Rail-Network-12-15-1024x983.jpg
    This map shows the freight railways in New York. The section on the teaser image is the CSX route in Queens ending at Fresh Pond Junction. Trackage rights for Canadian Pacific and Providence & Worcester Railroads as well. Probably will use recycled locos from CSX Heavy Haul but potentially CP or P&W locos in the future.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Typhomat

The subway yard does not interact with the freight line, and the north-most station is right above the yard. There is a track that connects to the east-west line there with more freight. Very possible it's a freight opportunity. Given that Penn Station would have to be included more than likely, it seems at the least it's Amtrak related.

Looking at the hint and comparing it to map, it looks like each side of the triangle is about 4-5 miles long. That would make the hint map about 15-20 miles tall, which would be around New Rochelle.

• Like Like x 4
  14. NorthRail1

If the route only went as far as New Rochelle, then the only passenger service would be the Northeast Regional. Oak Point Yard would also be included, so more freight opportunities. If it only went as far as New Rochelle, I think they would probably add a few branch lines further north.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NEC_Male_TC

New York to New Rochelle is way too short and incomplete to have logical scenarios and movements. New York to New Haven is the full subdivision where all trains change crews in that city except for Amtrak's Acela Express in most cases.

I'm sure this will be New York (Penn Station, Grand Central Terminal and Fresh Pond Yard) to New Haven's Cedar Hill Yard, that will really help with the services and scenarios to make them believable. It would be nice to see the New Canaan Branch Line return as well since it's only eight miles long.

• Like Like x 1
  16. USRailFan007

Hopefully, the hint Jay drops for us tomorrow @ 3pm, resembles the interior of a train running along the route, without the scenery being shown; or maybe, more map uncovered.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Typhomat

That's where my thought that this might be zoomed in comes in. The Northeast Regional would only have 2 stops, and the route would be really limited. Even with MTA content, it still would leave a lot to be desired. I would hope it extents to at least Stamford, CT

• Like Like x 1
  18. pschlik

That would seem like an odd place to end. Guess I thought the teaser picture was a bit bigger than just 20 miles though!

19. Typhomat

Also, if the placement of the route in the teaser is correct, it leads me to think there might be something significant on the west side. This also might not be to scale. If I recall correctly, RT in real life is a north-south route, but the map was rotated.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NJT Railfan

NJT Railfan Well-Known Member

It seems like now we have train simulator theorists.

• Like Like x 6
  21. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

I have no idea where that map puzzle piece belongs, but new freight loading/unloading facilities sounds very good!

• Like Like x 1
  22. Typhomat

It's been an exciting week for trains so far for me at least, yesterday was seeing an ALP-45DP on the AC line IRL, and today it's this new teaser. Gotta speculate away!

• Like Like x 4
  23. JackRyan

JackRyan Member

Well, that was easy. If we link that to the Amtrak photos on twitter it is clear that this is the NEC. Now the question is: New Haven line? Only to Stamford? Or are they going south? Maybe tomorrow we'll see

24. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It is NYC to somewhere.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  25. USRailFan007

Hopefully, to New Haven altogether, if it is a remake of NY-NH. Assuming they go north. Would be there first full length featured route, for TSW. It's only ~80miles in all. If they did do the Hudson Line, it'd be comparable in size being approximately ~75miles in length (to Poughkeepsie). They would definitely be charging more though. Possibly around 30-40$. So long as its full length to New Haven and involves atleast 2-4 locos, that would not be a problem (and incorporates some of the CSX HH locos of course). Can't wait to see what teaser we get tomorrow.

• Like Like x 5
  26. JackRyan

JackRyan Member

I for once will be happier to pay more for a longer route than paying few buck for a shorter route like in the last times

• Like Like x 2
  27. NEC_Male_TC

There's still something that puzzles me though. In this one teaser picture, the lines are in Amtrak blue and are surrounded by steam. This is the first Train Sim World teaser picture we've seen with steam.

How is this puzzling? Well, steam locomotives don't run on any part of the Northeast Corridor anymore and also, the section of it from New York to Boston was owned and operated by the New Haven Railroad - which scrapped all of their steam locomotives. So why is there steam around the [Amtrak blue] lines? If a New Haven steam locomotive were to be included in the route's package and the route was to be set in the steam era, it would make more sense to have the lines painted orange or green since those were the dominant colors of the New Haven Railroad in their paint schemes, not blue, if the route was to be set in the New Haven steam era.

Don't forget, in 2015, the teaser pictures for Train Simulator 2016's cover art had steam in the picture and it was later revealed to be an ex-Great Western Castle Class, which was included, plus four other ex-Great Western steam locomotives for the Riviera Line in the 50s.

So the point is, if it's set in present-day, I would find it to be wasteful to have a steam locomotive included since they don't run on the Northeast Corridor anymore and all of the New Haven steamers were scrapped. Unless the route goes as far as Old Saybrook, CT (which is a long distance, 115 miles or so from New York City and is roughly halfway between New York and Boston) and then it includes the 15-mile-long Essex Steam Train Branch Line to Haddam, CT, then I can see that making sense. Although that would be one huge route even just for the core mainline part of the route. I'm very interested in the official announcement and to see why the lines were painted blue and why they are surrounded by steam.

• Like Like x 2
  28. NorthRail1

DTG uses that shade of blue for all of its route maps so does not mean Amtrak. The steam is a mystery to me, I doubt they would release a steam route soon so probably has no meaning.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

Gee I really hope it’s an LIRR route and one that’s in current time like with the M7s. Awesome job with outlining it, it makes it even more believable! I hope it’s true!!

30. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I have doubts as to whether TSW could manage a steam engine at the moment without encountering frame drops. Lots of moving parts, lots of particles and so on.

• Like Like x 6
  31. pschlik

I would not expect a 70 mile route nor a steam locomotive. With matt talking about restrictions on dev time shortening routes (edit: in Monday's livestream, that is), I doubt this would be a situation where dev time was not shortening a route. That’s why the whole topic of ‘we could make a 300 mile route, but it would take 2 years of nothing else’ came up-they must still be having issues making long routes for that discussion to arise. As for a steam loco, the New York area would be about the silliest place to start putting in steamers, and considering the constant lack of time to just make a route, there is no way there is time to make a route and a steam locomotive.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  32. Typhomat

Out of curiosity, when did Matt bring this up? I'm wondering now that given they are making development improvements with the sim, that we might begin to see longer routes. Heavy Haul was about 50 miles? Just getting an idea of what can be done....

Penn Station to Stamford is about 35 miles, well within the limits of a TSW. I assume this might be where things are heading for the moment. Further stations include Bridgeport at around 56 miles, and New Haven is around 75.

• Like Like x 1
  33. USRailFan007

I think pschlik is probably referring to a live stream by Matt, most likely. At the very least, terminating at Stamford would be ideal, if they produce a shortened version of the route. Though, the longer the better, of course.

• Like Like x 2
  34. NEC_Male_TC

Sand Patch Grade is longer than 50 miles long due to the branch lines that are included in it and the length of the included mainline itself.

• Like Like x 3
  35. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Last night.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. NEC_FanRailer

NEC_FanRailer New Member

****FAIR WARNING****: LONG BODY OF TEXT FOR MY THEORY OF IT BEING HUDSON LINE BOUND ---- Wow. You guys did some amazing work attempting to decipher the track teaser. I'd be ecstatic if they did the NY-NH route as long as I get to operate me an Acela Express or ACS-64! I do want to point out that it also looks like a portion of the Mott Haven Junction, just off the bridge that crosses into the Bronx and divides into two sections. One going down the Hudson Line and the other towards Harlem n New Haven Lines (New Rochelle). The reason I think it looks this way is because after Yankee Stadium 153rd station, that little branch you see off the top left track branch is for freight that operate into the Yard near the Waste management station over in the Bronx. So, to me, they must've purposely split the line that runs along the river, before connecting to the Hudson line maintainence area. It lines up near pecfectly, with Mott Haven Junction. The branches representing the bridge could be divided purposely to indicate the physical split the bridge has, rather than indicating it with just one single track map line. And the underlying piece is part of the freight line I mentioned earlier. Only thing I can't possibly explain are the tracks that actually split off the Hudson line, connecting back to the main line, heading towards grand central (right before crossing the bridge). Maybe its indicating the two main lines that merge from the far right (if you're heading south bound into grand central) back onto the mainline. Last but not least, if you rotate the entire map like 20ish degrees to the right, as though the map was moving as a whole, it lines up perfectly with the junction again. I believe the map is not "drawn to scale" as one would normally say. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 4
  37. USRailFan007

It hurts to quote the message due to its length xD. My hopes of it being Hudson-Line based, were increased reading this. Glad I wasn't the only one thinking about this. It's what i was thinking about too, at first, until i saw the line up of the teaser w/ the TS 2018 map. I'm not throwing this theory out the window because it seems valid. Nothing is 100% certain as it stands though. We'll be exposed to another teaser, tomorrow at 3pm, according to Jay. At the very least, i think its safe to say it'll be NY based, like pschlik said somewhere on here, earlier.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Typhomat

Are you referring to the overlay that someone did with the NY-NH route from TS20xx?

39. USRailFan007

Probably referring to the teaser map and general overlook of Mott Haven via Google maps. Looked at it myself now, and earlier. Seems legit. At least, that's what i deduced from the wall of text.

40. NEC_FanRailer

NEC_FanRailer New Member

What USRailFan007 said. Looked at it from Google maps and images, and compared it to the teaser map itself, provided on twitter.

41. Lawjester

I’m pretty sure this is what you meant but you said the LIRR continues South but the LIRR runs West from Penn/ATB and East towards Long Island. Whereas the Metro North runs North up to Poughkeepsie or Croton Harmon and South down towards GCT. The evidence looks awesome though in terms of being an LIRR or MNRR route and I can’t wait! I hope it’s not NYNH because of the whole DTG redoing the routes as I’ve stressed in the past.

42. Typhomat

All I see from the teaser is Hell's Gate, I assume it's speculation for what lies beyond that?

43. Lawjester

They could include Hell Gate for making an LIRR route although unlikely probably but it would fit well just in terms of the scenery circling when the LIRR train branches off to Woodside. Although I definitely see Mott Haven in there.

44. Typhomat

I'm not totally familiar with LIRR, where is Mott Haven on the map? I would think it would have been in the Bronx?

45. Lawjester

Well the LIRR does not use Mott Haven Junction, that is used by Metro North. The LIRR splits off the NEC after it exits the East River tunnels and right before the Hell gate main. Mott Haven is the junction where all the lines split off, Harlem and New Haven lines pass the junction where the Hudson line goes through it. Here’s the LIRR map, https://www.google.com/search?q=lir...AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=666#imgrc=jNafWS7ENfsJsM:

And here’s the MNRR map, https://www.google.com/search?q=met...AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=666#imgrc=ZRO2qdW8DdYK0M:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  46. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I'm going to enjoy this.

If you remembered what was offered in GWE. They offered us a route that was about half the length of what was offered in TS. And the amount of WTF's in the wake of its announcement. I wouldn't hold my hopes up too high about the length of this route.

Quote me on this.

I'm predicting there will be a whole lot of same responses that GWE got.. probably even worse.

• Like Like x 4
  47. Lawjester

I’m gonna agree on that. The LIRR is perfect with this whole smaller routes because they’ve got branches that are small and are big. Now it may not happen because everyone wants Amtrak and the LIRR does not have it. When Zui made that connection of the NYNH and the sneak peak, it seemed to have showed a lot more of Woodside junction (LIRR territory) then Hell gate main though. I honestly can’t tell though, but I’m hoping that DTG finally gives the LIRR it’s chance.

• Like Like x 1
  48. rare_common_sense

Not this go’round. It won’t be a LIRR Route. Though you will see more of its trackage than we’ve seen in the NYNH. That’s where it stops. I predict this isn’t going to be exactly what people hope it will be, though the speculation of the part of the route that is teased is correct. But it won’t be a Long Island Railroad Route. This route looks to be something that will more of a demo to what we all would want it to be.

The pics will probably have you excited once they’re released. But I can bet that’s where it will end once more information is given.

I’m going to probably get some downvotes lol. But when the information comes. And if their previous offerings in TSW are any indication, there’s going to be lots of criticisms. And be like.. this guy was right. And I’m going to hate being right. But I’m betting I will be.

• Like Like x 2
  49. Lawjester

That makes no sense at all! What’s the point of of DTG trying to trick us into thinking it’s the LIRR? That’s what we want and in the end, and DTG wants to give us what we want so they could make more business. It even looks like when Zui combined the two he had to scroll out to get a bigger picture of the route and I can see where Woodside station is, it looks to me that they teased it all the way to Jamaica Station because you could kinda see the Atlantic Terminal Branch, branch off and the same with Bolemans yard. Look at the image closer, I think it’s the LIRR because theirs absolutely no point in DTG taking the route any further then Woodside if it’s not.

50. rare_common_sense

One thing you will come to learn, hopefully.. is that there’s a difference between being mislead and taking things for what you want out of it.

You’ll see.

When you get more details, you’re going to see what I mean. What I’m saying may not make sense. But the information that is to come more than likely isn’t going to make a lot of folks happy. I’m saying this, because I’m quite efficient when it comes to making certain observations. And I can tell you based on the trends that DTG has been on, as of late, is going to continue until they figure out how they’re going to be able to make substantial content with their latest engine. TSW is still in its infancy. You guys thinking it’s going to be some long route this early in a sim this new is like expecting a newborn to be able to walk and talk a week after its born.

And for you, my friend, as far as what I’ve observed.. You keep getting your hopes held up to high and despite the information and the speculations that add up are being laid out.

Just trying to help you folks by softening the blow and getting you guys to learn to keep your expectations realistic and reasonable.

• Like Like x 3