Wcml South: Really Poor Frame Rates, And Pausing

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by Pookeyhead, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

On WCML South, I am getting on average, 14fps. GPU-Z only reports 3.4GB of VRAM usage. My CPU usage is not excessive, and while my ageing GPU is between 95 and 98%, it always is on other routes too, and I get reliably between 28 and 30fps in almost all other routes except Woodhead in Blue, which sees 24 to 26fps.

It also pauses for up to half a second while things load.... again, I suspected low VRAM, but GPU-Z never shows my GPU being maxed out for VRAM.

Coupled with random AI conflicts that end the game in quick drive, and I'm starting to think £40 is not a great investment. I think this will be the first time ever I apply for a refund on Steam. I know my rig ain't exactly a 3950X with a RTX3080 in it... but I'd be quite happy with my usual 25 to 30fps... even if it was always the 25fps... but 14? I wouldn't mind if the route looked incredible and all the super duper textures were just crying out for a hardware upgrade here, but it looks pretty much as good, and no better than any other recent route. (except that Euston really is poor.. sorry... it just is)

Something ain't right with this route... sorry.

2. arapajoe3

arapajoe3 Active Member

I think we only had to see the live DTG did on YouTube with the new route, practically the whole trip was with incredible lag. If they are able to show that very low quality of the route in the promotional video of the route and charge you 29.99, in my opinion it is that they do not care at all anymore towards the consumers of their products, and more after the controversy with TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I'm running an RTX2080 Ti, i7-9700k, and 32GB RAM. I get 10-15fps the entire route. 10fps in London Euston. How can Dovetail release such garbage? Did they not bother actually testing their product or did they just not care? Absolutely shameful. Requesting a refund on Steam. Paid the extra $20 for the deluxe bundle for this pile of....

4. Pookeyhead

Looks like I'm actually getting off lightly with my 14fps considering the age of my rig then... still.. it's not really playable.

5. mattdsoares

It would seem so! Absolutely shameful that Dovetail would promote this with a straight face.

6. Pookeyhead

Looks terrible on here too...

He mentions he has a decent system at 16:56
    He also has the same problem I have... forgot to mention it... no overhead wires showing on a great deal of the route. Its' as if stuff can't load fast enough to keep up.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  7. Artful

Artful Member

Attached is latest screenshot from DTG showing the new update to TS2021 lol

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. mattdsoares

Someone created a scenario for the DC overground line on Steam Workshop. Played it and got a not as terrible 20+ fps most of the time unlike the default scenarios which get 10. Obviously a fixable issue.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There is a review of the DC lines and other stations, yards en route - looks ok

Peter

10. ArTrailfanRaf214

ArTrailfanRaf214 Member

They need to optimise it, a tunnel east of Willesden Jn is missing textures and in many other places.
    Otherwise I will permanently refund this route.

11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I believe you can only refund if you've played less than two hours on the DLC, check with steam permissions before playing further

12. tsonboard

tsonboard Member

Working fine for me since the two updates